2016 Draft DB thread

Beerball

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I continue to hear very little about the kid as anything above a day-3 pick, and it confuses me beyond words...

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks 15h15 hours ago

BC safety Justin Simmons is going to be a solid NFL starter. Good combo of size, instincts and ball skills.

Please get this kid with one of our 4's...if he's as underrated in draft rooms as he is under-hyped by analysts, he'll be there.

CB Eli Apple fits press coverage scheme
Buffalo's defense relies heavily on press coverage. Ohio State draft prospect Eli Apple looks like he'd be a good fit for a Rex Ryan defense.

Watch: Mark Kelso Looks at Two Top DB Prospects (5:23)
In our next episode of Path to the Draft, former Bills safety Mark Kelso takes a look at Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey and Florida defensive back Vernon Hargreaves.

@LedyardNFLDraft

ICYMI:Today Jeremy Cash will finally do a FULL workout for NFL personnel at Duke http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/04/05/jeremy-cash-on-the-mend-will-work-out-at-private-pro-day-april-13th/

#NFLDraft

Cf7KLhBUYAI-Scg.jpg

I wonder if anyone from Buffalo was in attendance, I checked to see if I could find any information on it but the best I found was him thanking folks for coming out.

@BuffaLowDown

Cf89yTeXEAAqFZy.jpg

@TheDraftWire

Jeremy Cash posts workout results at private pro day, '95%' healthy

@BuffaLowDown

#BillsMafia CB Eli Apple Will Visit The Buffalo #Bills #EliApple http://buffalowdown.com/2016/04/13/cb-eli-apple-will-visit-the-buffalo-bills/

Cf89yTeXEAAqFZy.jpg

@TheDraftWire

Jeremy Cash posts workout results at private pro day, '95%' healthy

https://t.co/jEQ9gBs9qE

Thanks for that update I was looking all around for the numbers today!! Those numbers should keep him at or around a 3rd IMO.

Taken a look at Keanu Neal (Florida safety) and I like some of what I see. Decent size (6'0", 211lbs, long arms), very impressive explosion scores (38" vertical jump), ran a 4.62 40 time.

Pass coverage - Not a man for every scheme but would fit the Bills well as a strong safety playing Robber coverage. Can pass off assignments from bunch sets well covering the slot. Doesn't look out of place covering RB's & TE's in man. Needs to stay alert 100% of the time, has a few momentary lapses.

Run defense - Can be a shuddering hitter. Needs to wrap up more consistently but he's not reckless. Needs to clean up his eye discipline issues, has poked his head in the wrong hole a number of times (and that is NOT a euphemism, thank you!).

Late 3rd/early 4th grade. Not ready to start yet and may need time to absorb Rex's playbook but Graham/Blanton would give him time to be eased in gently.

Edited by Blokestradamus

Taken a look at Keanu Neal (Florida safety) and I like some of what I see. Decent size (6'0", 211lbs, long arms), very impressive explosion scores (38" vertical jump), ran a 4.62 40 time.

Pass coverage - Not a man for every scheme but would fit the Bills well as a strong safety playing Robber coverage. Can pass off assignments from bunch sets well covering the slot. Doesn't look out of place covering RB's & TE's in man. Needs to stay alert 100% of the time, has a few momentary lapses.

Run defense - Can be a shuddering hitter. Needs to wrap up more consistently but he's not reckless. Needs to clean up his eye discipline issues, has poked his head in the wrong hole a number of times (and that is NOT a euphemism, thank you!).

Late 3rd/early 4th grade. Not ready to start yet and may need time to absorb Rex's playbook but Graham/Blanton would give him time to be eased in gently.

Do you like him better than Karl Joseph of West Virginia, where do you see him going?

Edited by The Thurmanator

Do you like him better than Karl Joseph of West Virginia, where do you see him going?

That's actually a great question. Joseph is the guy I'm most torn on. 2nd round talent but legitimately terrified that he's going to end his own career because the guy is reckless in the tackle.

Lot of talk with Joseph is in that 2nd-3rd round bracket. A lot depends on how much of his athletic ability got compromised with the ACL tear. He did have excellent range and would actually fit better as a free safety in a lot of schemes.

Seen Neal in the same round bracket throughout mainstream media. Different players but Joseph is a better athlete if it's a clean rehab.

That's actually a great question. Joseph is the guy I'm most torn on. 2nd round talent but legitimately terrified that he's going to end his own career because the guy is reckless in the tackle.

Lot of talk with Joseph is in that 2nd-3rd round bracket. A lot depends on how much of his athletic ability got compromised with the ACL tear. He did have excellent range and would actually fit better as a free safety in a lot of schemes.

Seen Neal in the same round bracket throughout mainstream media. Different players but Joseph is a better athlete if it's a clean rehab.

I'm with you that Joseph is more of a round 2 guy, but I think someone will take him earlier--I think he goes in the 22-30 range.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Carolina takes him to be the enforcer in their secondary, since they have nothing beyond Josh Norman. The real surprise would be if a team like Washington at 23 takes a crack at him.

Personally, I'd rather wait until the 3rd/4th and take Justin Simmons.

I'm with you that Joseph is more of a round 2 guy, but I think someone will take him earlier--I think he goes in the 22-30 range.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Carolina takes him to be the enforcer in their secondary, since they have nothing beyond Josh Norman. The real surprise would be if a team like Washington at 23 takes a crack at him.

Personally, I'd rather wait until the 3rd/4th and take Justin Simmons.

Let's face it, the safety class isn't great this year. Jalen Ramsey is a top 5 pick and it's slim pickings after. I can see someone reaching a bit on Joseph because he's an endearing guy, coaches rave about him. Not something I'd do but I'd understand it.

I'm with you. Wait a while, take a Simmons/Stamps type of guy. Get yourself some value.

Let's face it, the safety class isn't great this year. Jalen Ramsey is a top 5 pick and it's slim pickings after. I can see someone reaching a bit on Joseph because he's an endearing guy, coaches rave about him. Not something I'd do but I'd understand it.

I'm with you. Wait a while, take a Simmons/Stamps type of guy. Get yourself some value.

Stamps is getting, like, zero play right now...I'm shocked.

I really like him; like 4th round like him when I reviewed him. I wonder why his name doesn't come up?

Stamps is getting, like, zero play right now...I'm shocked.

I really like him; like 4th round like him when I reviewed him. I wonder why his name doesn't come up?

Kentucky is the wasteland of the SEC. Poor testing numbers. Seen a lot of effort/commitment concerns from anonymous scout types.

Shame because he's a solid FS project.

Whaley: Patriots will have 3-4 wides, Bowles will have 3 wides, Miami will have 3 wides....You'll be in nickel and dime a LOT.

Sounds to me like CB and/or S earlier than later. To me, this can't be done and fill all of our needs with 8 picks.

Suppose Seattle at #25 wants to get ahead of Washington at #20 to select DT A'Shawn Robinson instead of Nkemdiche.

They must trade with either the Jets or the Bills. It would take Seattle's RD3#90 pick to do it.

1 26 Buffalo Jarran Reed DT34 - visited
2 49 Buffalo Su'a Cravens S-LB - visited
3 80 Buffalo Kyler Fackrell OLB34 or Joshua Perry OLB34 or Tyler Boyd WRF or Kyle Murphy OT Stanford or D.J. Reader DT34 Clemson
3 90 Buffalo Dak Prescott QB - visited
4 117 Buffalo Cyrus Jones - visited
4 139 Buffalo Antonio Morrison OLB - visited OBD, Bills went to AZ St 4x
5 156 Buffalo T.J. Green FS Clemson - Pro Day (or Jayron Kearse SS Clemson - Pro Day)
6 192 Buffalo Denver Kirkland OG Arkansas or Tajae Sharpe WRF Massachusetts or Kevin Byard SS Middle Tennessee
6 218 Buffalo Caleb Benenoch RT UCLA or Brian Poole CB Florida or Devon Johnson RBF Marshall or Antonio Longino ILB Arizona State

JMO: Watched some more of Joseph today, my notes read like Earl Thomas and I don't say this lightly as I had Earl Thomas as a top 10 guy early in the fall the year he was drafted, Joseph is more more physical in nature and is good in coverage and Thomas has better CoD skills, fluidity and over all discipline, really good in coverage. Aside from that their physical comp is nearly identical. Obviously we have no combine numbers to compare, but the tape I watched IMO showed more than enough speed, range, instincts and athleticism to compare him to Thomas and I think he'd be a great fit in a similar role for Buffalo. Graham is slowing down, A. Williams is a neck injury away from calling it a career and Joseph can play either S spot. If the medical is good, he's a 1st round player IMO with great leadership qualities. I think he's in play at 19 myself, he's better than Randall, Dix, Ward and Pryor, Vaccaro and Reid from the last 3 drafts. He's a wealthy mans Earl Thomas... With a knee issue. I would be thrilled if we landed him in the 2nd but he gone before that pick is made with any decent medical.

JMO: Watched some more of Joseph today, my notes read like Earl Thomas and I don't say this lightly as I had Earl Thomas as a top 10 guy early in the fall the year he was drafted, Joseph is more more physical in nature and is good in coverage and Thomas has better CoD skills, fluidity and over all discipline, really good in coverage. Aside from that their physical comp is nearly identical. Obviously we have no combine numbers to compare, but the tape I watched IMO showed more than enough speed, range, instincts and athleticism to compare him to Thomas and I think he'd be a great fit in a similar role for Buffalo. Graham is slowing down, A. Williams is a neck injury away from calling it a career and Joseph can play either S spot. If the medical is good, he's a 1st round player IMO with great leadership qualities. I think he's in play at 19 myself, he's better than Randall, Dix, Ward and Pryor, Vaccaro and Reid from the last 3 drafts. He's a wealthy mans Earl Thomas... With a knee issue. I would be thrilled if we landed him in the 2nd but he gone before that pick is made with any decent medical.

I keep seeing him slated as the only safety going in the first round, I assume that is all based on a clean medical.

I keep seeing him slated as the only safety going in the first round, I assume that is all based on a clean medical.

It has to be, if the knee is good, he's too good to fall far, durability is a concern, I wouldn't play him in the box much, but IMO he can play either safety spot and cover, 1st round all day if the knee checks out.

He was my pick in Kirby's "who would surprise you but still seems logical?" thread.

I feel as already mentioned by P51, that a safety or even two are needed, and getting one in the first is something Bills should take a hard look at. and I think they have with the visit.

But Graham is making some decent cash this year and IF Williams is healthy , Do you justify a safety at 19 or so?.

They have Blanton and still have Duke Williams(*).

I sure like what i have read on Joseph though.

Can you see Bills drafting him in the first?

I'm torn on what we will do in the first few rounds, If a tackle falls I could see them going in that direction to sure up the right side...They brought on Ed Reed I'm sure he has some influence over Rex just because their relationship and his stature as a player. So it is a possibility, I don't think any of us have a good handle on how our front office communicates in the war room so it's tough to say. I'm not saying a positional coach is in Whaley's ear but I'm sure as heck Rex is spouting off about players anytime he can.

I think the most obvious thing to do is take the best DL available and never look back, but Buffalo never does things the "common sense" way. I don't see Whaley drafting all defense with his first 3 picks either...so less than a week away I'm hoping for a Lawson,Diche, Jones, or Spence...followed by Boyd in the 2nd round who offers a ton of value and could be the best WR in this class. IF they are considering Joseph at 19 I hope other players that could be pushed into the BPA category are being considered. If they box themselves into thinking that safety is a 1st round priority I will be concerned when looking at the rest of the roster, for their sake Joseph better be the next Earl Thomas because they will be bypassing some wildly talented players at positions of need.

I'm coming around to Joseph at 19, or even better in the late 20s after a trade down.

I like EVERYONE more after a trade down

:beer:

I'm torn on what we will do in the first few rounds, If a tackle falls I could see them going in that direction to sure up the right side...They brought on Ed Reed I'm sure he has some influence over Rex just because their relationship and his stature as a player. So it is a possibility, I don't think any of us have a good handle on how our front office communicates in the war room so it's tough to say. I'm not saying a positional coach is in Whaley's ear but I'm sure as heck Rex is spouting off about players anytime he can.

I think the most obvious thing to do is take the best DL available and never look back, but Buffalo never does things the "common sense" way. I don't see Whaley drafting all defense with his first 3 picks either...so less than a week away I'm hoping for a Lawson,Diche, Jones, or Spence...followed by Boyd in the 2nd round who offers a ton of value and could be the best WR in this class. IF they are considering Joseph at 19 I hope other players that could be pushed into the BPA category are being considered. If they box themselves into thinking that safety is a 1st round priority I will be concerned when looking at the rest of the roster, for their sake Joseph better be the next Earl Thomas because they will be bypassing some wildly talented players at positions of need.

Good post Common !

Second year in with Rex and friends in the war room could be interesting as heck.

But i would think Bills will not lock in on any player at 19 or so.

Maybe later on down the line they reach a pinch?

If the BPA has even grades you take the need.

I bet there are more draft trades to come as some team have serious needs from the first. we need volume.

RING RING Hello Tennessee this is Buffalo calling will you accept the charges ?

:rolleyes:

I've seen more and more 1st round talk in the past couple of days so I'm assuming that health isn't an issue. I won't talk about Earl as a prospect comparison. I wasn't draft-savvy when he was eligible so it's not fair. Knowing Earl as a professional, I'd definitely agree that he's infinitely more disciplined as the last line of defense. That's where my issues with Joseph arise.

On that point, I know what you mean from an athletic standpoint. I think it would've been close (Combine numbers, not his Pro Day. Not sure I believe anyone in history has had a 1.49 10-yard split).

I do flinch at the idea of any safety at 19 not called Jalen Ramsey but I think he would probably be the best safety on the roster instantly (not terribly difficult in my opinion). I'm naturally risk-averse with my safeties so Joseph does scare me. I'm not sure Rex is a coach that will try to curb his natural instincts. Not my first choice but I'm not sure I dislike the idea of Joseph at 19 in terms of pure talent. The possibility of a short shelf life does worry me though.