Are you still bitter over fredex after seeing carlos

seadog

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I still don't like about it was the fact that, at the time, they decided to keep Bryce Brown over FJ just because he was younger. Brown was awful and should have been cut long before Jackson.

I was furious. And this was why.

Hope he gets him a ring and comes back to Coach.

Hindsight?

You clearly don't remember the scenario that preceded the cut of Fred Jackson.

McCoy was nursing a hamstring injury that the staff reportedly thought might end his season.

Karlos was coming off of abdominal surgery just a couple weeks earlier.

Even Bryce Brown was hurt most of the preseason.

Fred was held out with a minor injury too........then promptly ripped off a long TD run to start the last preseason game.........a game he had to start because everyone else was too nicked up.

With all the uncertainty wrt to having functioning RUNNING BACKS.........it made no sense to cut themselves short........and sure enough, Shady and Williams missed a lot of games early in the season.

This is about it.

I think Bills FO made a mistake on more than one level.

That being said I am pretty pleased how it's turned out. Fred gets on a very good team, back with his Bud. And we found two very good RBs who are killing it and have a future. as long as Karlos can avoid another noggin knocker

Past his prime

Happy for him but not crying over spilled milk. Time to move on

Of course he was. For a couple years he was "done".

we can reminisce all we want.

It's been stated/discussed by CBS commentators that coaches feared McCoy might be lost for the season with his hamstring injury....... during recent telecasts.........based on the feedback from coaches during their broadcast preparation meetings.

I can only assume that you haven't been watching the games.

The rash of injuries at the RB position was a fairly noteworthy sports story at the time so calling it hindsight is as detached as Karlos left nut.

Speaking of which........the exact whereabouts of Karlos surgery.......his abdomen or his balls......it's irrelevant to the discussion.......he had RECENTLY had a SURGICAL PROCEDURE that had sidelined him for several weeks.

If it wasn't a concern........the ROOKIE would have been getting experience in the preseason.

The Bills gambled that McCoy and Wiliams would be healthy.....and fairly soon both Karlos and McCoy were on the shelf.

I don't consider myself a particularly big Fred Jackson fan.........he's a good player but he's had his share of problems with things like injuries and fumbles in recent years so he wasn't going to give you 200 carries if McCoy and Karlos were sidelined.

But that wasn't what they needed from him.........they needed a steady, veteran third down back.

They absolutely do not have that and it's part of the reason they were leading the NFL in 3 and outs.

That's not hindsight.......Shady had to come off the field in short yardage in Philly and Karlos was a rookie for chrissake. :doh:

But if you want hindsight.......Fred Jackson played every game this season.

Well, I live in St Louis and don't have Sunday Ticket so you're right, I watch few games live. I stream when I can, and watch condensed film and all-22 (but that leaves out the announcer chit chat).

Still, Color Me Dubious about announcer reports in hindsight.

Badol, I usually respect what you say, but when you say the location of Karlos surgery is irrelevant, that's, excuse my saying so, nuts :rolleyes: . The location and type of surgery a player has are absolutely relevant to what the GM and coaches have to do during roster cutdown, which is make reasonable predictions about which players will return and when based on training staff and team physician prognosis. And you really ought to know that. There's a difference between "a concern" that a player won't be back for the regular season, and a straightforward procedure with a predictable recovery that sidelines a player during preseason, and you really ought to know that too and not trot out a false dichotomy suggesting Karlos should have been playing preseason unless there were concerns he wouldn't be back.

Consider the implicit contradiction in your previous sentence about McCoy: IF it were true that the coaches were advised by training staff/team physicians that McCoy's prognosis was he might be out for the season, then it would have been totally ridiculous to cut RBs - the prognosis of players returning from injury is absolutely relevant during roster cutdown when deciding whether to IR injured players or carry them on the 53 and who else to carry where to cover for the injuries. And yes, the Bills had injuries at other positions too, and had to make choices.

At the time FredEx was cut, the Bills were planning on McCoy and Karlos sharing the workload, including 3rd downs, with Bryce Brown as the backup (inactive on game day) and Dixon as the STer who could play emergency running back in a pinch. That was the plan, and the logic of cutting the oldest RB in the league in favor of young guns with potentially high ceiling (that would be Karlos and Brown) is really pretty clear until the hindsight of Karlos' concussion, Brown doing whatever he did to get his a** canned after the first game, and McCoy re-injuring became clear.

Then was it a mistake? Yes, it was.

Fred clearly slowed down last year but his heart is as big as ever. I would have kept him over Boobie. Someone needed to smack Mario around and Fred may have been the one to do it.

You would have, and many other fans would have, but the ST coach didn't see it that way. Now, does the ST coach perhaps deserve to get his a** canned for the way ST played this year, yeah; did Boobie's play along with some other STers drop off, yeah, but we didn't know that at the start of the season.

I could be wrong and often am, not being part of any NFL locker room, but it's my understanding there's a kind of divide where players can talk up the entire team, but for "smacking" a non-performing player, there's a unwritten rule that each side of the ball and each group takes care of their own, and then only if they're playing. There's also kind of a hierarchy based loosely on status (star players aren't usually called out by rookies or veteran minimum backups). I think that's what Anonymous Player who was quoted as saying Mario checked out, meant when he said Kyle Williams is the only one who could have talked to Mario.

The guy who should have called Mario out if need be, are the coaches.

This is about it.

I think Bills FO made a mistake on more than one level.

That being said I am pretty pleased how it's turned out. Fred gets on a very good team, back with his Bud. And we found two very good RBs who are killing it and have a future. as long as Karlos can avoid another noggin knocker

If you believe it wouldn't have made a difference on the results of the Bills season................then there is no reason to not be pleased with how it turned out.

I think a lot of the people that are OK about it are just resigned to losing...........especially when people are GLAD that he is with a better team. :lol:

At this moment, would I rather have Gillislee in 2016 than Fred in 2016?........absolutely........but I'd rather have BOTH this year and be playing for a playoff berth tomorrow.......which I believe they would be if Fred were retained.

Honestly, I think that Boobie Dixon would have been cut early in the season if the Bills had ANY depth whatsoever at RB in October. He probably benefitted more than anyone from cutting Fred Jackson.

He's so far down the ball carrier depth chart that there guys in front of him pumping gas, just waiting for a phone call............and yet he is active every week. :lol:

If you believe it wouldn't have made a difference on the results of the Bills season................then there is no reason to not be pleased with how it turned out.

I think a lot of the people that are OK about it are just resigned to losing...........especially when people are GLAD that he is with a better team. :lol:

At this moment, would I rather have Gillislee in 2016 than Fred in 2016?........absolutely........but I'd rather have BOTH this year and be playing for a playoff berth tomorrow.......which I believe they would be if Fred were retained.

Honestly, I think that Boobie Dixon would have been cut early in the season if the Bills had ANY depth whatsoever at RB in October. He probably benefitted more than anyone from cutting Fred Jackson.

He's so far down the ball carrier depth chart that there guys in front of him pumping gas, just waiting for a phone call............and yet he is active every week. :lol:

I love Fred he has been a hero to me. as is Kyle Williams.

Fred is no longer on the team. But i can absolutely be happy for him.

I am not always selfish..

boobie dixon is its own story btw

Er, maybe that would be because Boobie's position on the team is driven by his position on the ST depth chart, not the RB depth chart?

Er, maybe that would be because Boobie's position on the team is driven by his position on the ST depth chart, not the RB depth chart?

It may be nuanced but take a closer look

If Boobie Dixon isn't 2nd or 3rd on the RB depth chart for much of this season he would have gotten bumped off the roster, IMO.

Let's not forget that as late in the season as the week leading up to the Houston game in December McCoy and Dixon were the only healthy RB's on the depth chart.

Gillislee got elevated that week.

Where does he sit right now? Third. There is a very good chance he may have to take snaps at RB tomorrow.

I think Boobie was in the top 3 on the Bills RB depth chart for something like 10 games............that's ridiculous considering that he is unusable in Roman's offense.

It may be nuanced but take a closer look

If Boobie Dixon isn't 2nd or 3rd on the RB depth chart for much of this season he would have gotten bumped off the roster, IMO.

Let's not forget that as late in the season as the week leading up to the Houston game in December McCoy and Dixon were the only healthy RB's on the depth chart.

Gillislee got elevated that week.

Where does he sit right now? Third. There is a very good chance he may have to take snaps at RB tomorrow.

I think Boobie was in the top 3 on the Bills RB depth chart for something like 10 games............that's ridiculous considering that he is unusable in Roman's offense

I'm not sure what your point is here, Badol. I stand by my point that Boobie's place on this team is driven by his place on the ST depth chart.

Going into the roster cut downs and starting the season, he was probably #4 on the RB depth chart, behind McCoy, Williams, and Brown.

Do you disagree with that?

If your point is that somehow Whaley should have known at the first roster cutdown that in September McCoy would reinjure/aggrevate, Karlos would get a concussion, and Brown would wear out his welcome with Anthony Lynn so that doesn't constitute hindsight, well, we gotta agree to disagree.