Would you re-sign Harvin to $3m incentive laden contract?

Kelly the Dog

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the price is right you don't have to move on from Percy, just plan to have another wr2 in the mix as well (not woods). Goodwin on the other hand...you definitely can't keep both that's for sure. It's not just that Percy gets hurt, it's that Sammy and Goodwin also constantly get hurt. That put us out 3 WRs at times and 2 WRs regularly.

I won't say that's a bad point in harvin debate. I don't mind limiting it to one of those guys in our top 5-6

Harvin's a tremendous talent, however, I'm not exactly sure what his deal is, but he's just not dependable...

That said, with a sixteen year playoff drought looming...

The answer is no.

Both Goodwin and Harvin have proved not to be durable enough to stay on the field. I would rather use their cap money for another receiver. Both players are capable of making electrifying plays but too often the voltage is cut off because they are nursing injuries. I stand with you on saying :thumbdown: to Harvin and also include Goodwin in the :thumbdown: column.

Edited by JohnC

Amazing to me that anyone would want Harvin at any price.

Four decent years as a possession receiver that ended four seasons ago.

Toss in that he has a bum hip and it becomes ridiculous.

I want him cheap because he can make one play to change a game. He is capable of making plays that other players at the proposed salary are not capable of making. Sure, there is the downside of his injuries and mood swings but the upside is a dynamic playmaker. It is certainly debate worthy.

I want him cheap because he can make one play to change a game. He is capable of making plays that other players at the proposed salary are not capable of making. Sure, there is the downside of his injuries and mood swings but the upside is a dynamic playmaker. It is certainly debate worthy.

Yea to call him a possession receiver at his best is silly

I'm sure it's been brought up, but with Boykin and Little now around, i would be shocked to not see a good battle for our #2/3 WR position. I'll be the first to admit that Harvin looked great when on the field and healthy, but many if his isn't made of glass. I would love to have him back but I think Boykin will really step up for us. I also really like Little - minus his drops- i remember seeing a lot of high lights of him being open for the browns and just.... well butterfingers, but you gotta be doing something right to be getting open like that.

I have would also love it if the Bills somehow got Laquon Treadwell or Michael Thomas in the draft. They rip on Micahel Thomas for not being a burner, but the guys 6'4" and built like a truck.

I'm sure it's been brought up, but with Boykin and Little now around, i would be shocked to not see a good battle for our #2/3 WR position. I'll be the first to admit that Harvin looked great when on the field and healthy, but many if his isn't made of glass. I would love to have him back but I think Boykin will really step up for us. I also really like Little - minus his drops- i remember seeing a lot of high lights of him being open for the browns and just.... well butterfingers, but you gotta be doing something right to be getting open like that.

I have would also love it if the Bills somehow got Laquon Treadwell or Michael Thomas in the draft. They rip on Micahel Thomas for not being a burner, but the guys 6'4" and built like a truck.

If Boykin is our #2 odds are its more likely things went terribly wrong than terribly right

I'm not surprised Kirby and No Saint are on the keep Harvin side of this argument. It is consistent with their take on how you build your receiving corps. At $2m or less I see the argument - much more so than for Goodwin. However, I don't want Harvin as a #2 I think if you keep him he comes in for your gadget packages and trick plays or to run go routes.

I'm not surprised Kirby and No Saint are on the keep Harvin side of this argument. It is consistent with their take on how you build your receiving corps. At $2m or less I see the argument - much more so than for Goodwin. However, I don't want Harvin as a #2 I think if you keep him he comes in for your gadget packages and trick plays or to run go routes.

For me I look at games like the Titans game and see the value in someone like Harvin. Sometimes it just isn't working out there and you are in a close ugly game. Harvin is capable of making 1 play in a game like that changing it from a win to a loss. When you can get that guy at $2M or whatever it is a win IMO. There aren't a lot of guys in that price range that are capable of that. Defenses have to account for Harvin and worry about Harvin because of that. Edited by Kirby Jackson

For me I look at games like the Titans game and see the value in someone like Harvin. Sometimes it just isn't working out there and you are in a close ugly game. Harvin is capable of making 1 play in a game like that changing it from a win to a loss. When you can get that guy at $2M or whatever it is swim IMO. There aren't a lot of guys in that price range that are capable of that. Defenses have t account for Harvin and worry about Harvin because of that.

Assuming he's available. I think the hip injury will be a chronic thing.

For me I look at games like the Titans game and see the value in someone like Harvin. Sometimes it just isn't working out there and you are in a close ugly game. Harvin is capable of making 1 play in a game like that changing it from a win to a loss. When you can get that guy at $2M or whatever it is swim IMO. There aren't a lot of guys in that price range that are capable of that. Defenses have t account for Harvin and worry about Harvin because of that.

Yup. And then you pair that with the fact that the difference between your #6 and the top 10-20 street free agents is essentially non-existent and why not have a guy in there with huge upside if you can find them.

Again, no idea what harvin sees as a contract but this is an "if cheap..." hypothetical.

Yea and as I say at $2million I don't love it but I see the sense. Any more than that it is not worth the risk of him a) not being available and b) not producing in tough spots - both things that are his career M.O.

Ironically the guy who made the two big catches to change the game in Tennessee was your "anti-Harvin" Chris Hogan who had the huge 40 yard grab down the sideline on a not particularly well thrown ball to get us inside the 10 and then made the tough catch in the endzone for the score.

Now I am not advocating paying Hogan big cash - but I just don't think Harvin is worth any more that $2million a year max.

For me I look at games like the Titans game and see the value in someone like Harvin. Sometimes it just isn't working out there and you are in a close ugly game. Harvin is capable of making 1 play in a game like that changing it from a win to a loss. When you can get that guy at $2M or whatever it is a win IMO. There aren't a lot of guys in that price range that are capable of that. Defenses have to account for Harvin and worry about Harvin because of that.

The odds are great that he will not come close to finishing a season without being hurt. Few people are arguing that he isn't a unique talent because he is. Even though he probably could become available at a reasonable cap price I would rather acquire a lesser receiving talent who is more durable to bolster the receiving corps.

The argument I am using against signing Harvin is the same argument I am using against Goodwin. He also is a unique talent because of his blazing speed. But he has also demonstrated an inability to stay on the field. He's a football player who can't take a hit without having to be helped off the field.

The problem with signing a Harvin is that you are losing a spot prior to the season when you can dedicate it to someone else who may be able to help. When you consider his and Goodwin's durability record in their respective careers it is obvious to me that no matter how cheaply they can be attained for it still isn't worth it because odds are that the injury scenario will play out as it usually does.

The odds are great that he will not come close to finishing a season without being hurt. Few people are arguing that he isn't a unique talent because he is. Even though he probably could become available at a reasonable cap price I would rather acquire a lesser receiving talent who is more durable to bolster the receiving corps.

The argument I am using against signing Harvin is the same argument I am using against Goodwin. He also is a unique talent because of his blazing speed. But he has also demonstrated an inability to stay on the field. He's a football player who can't take a hit without having to be helped off the field.

The problem with signing a Harvin is that you are losing a spot prior to the season when you can dedicate it to someone else who may be able to help. When you consider his and Goodwin's durability record in their respective careers it is obvious to me that no matter how cheaply they can be attained for it still isn't worth it because odds are that the injury scenario will play out as it usually does.

I guess my point is 8 games of Harvin is better than 16 of Brian Hartline (or someone like that). He can impact a game in a way that Hartline can't. If Harvin is out you simply sign someone to fill that roster spot like Deonte Thompson. 8 games of Harvin + 8 games of Thompson > 16 games of Hartline.

It's okay to have someone that you know will be there but if they can't impact a game what difference does it make? Is the team that much better off with a Hartline than Thompson? Thompson could have been added from the Bears PS at any point this year. The flip side is a healthy Harvin is far better than either of those guys.