Do you think the Bills a well managed football team?

This really doesn't add up. On the one hand, you want to say they are well managed with a good GM and owner and with the other hand you want to say the most critical decision that same GM and owner made to date was a total pooch screw.

The question was "are the Bills well managed?" not "did the Bills hire the right coach?" Did Pegula's misstep with the Sabres prevent them from getting on the right path now? This mistake will be corrected.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see them bring in the Grand Poobah.

Parcells? I don't see him being interested in it at this point. I too would be happy though to give him the keys.

Don't think I want any part of Polian at this point though. Maybe that's a mistake. Thinking of Parcells may also very well be a mistake.

Parcells? I don't see him being interested in it at this point. I too would be happy though to give him the keys.Don't think I want any part of Polian at this point though. Maybe that's a mistake. Thinking of Parcells may also very well be a mistake.

parcells is 74, doubtful work is on his mind. I guess the only adavantage with him

Over Polian is apparently the Tuna has heard about Crest whitening strips.

neither would be woth a dam as a president of football operations or whatever. With Polian

It would Be really scary, with his kid and all. You have to hope Pegula gets this. maybe not.

<p>

simple response to a question with an obvious answer - NO

(if you mean what they look like on game days); to add to the examples put forth by DallasBillsFan1:

• an absolute train wreck overall
  • zero accountability
  • a coach who does not put his players in positions to succeed, and, in fact, squanders their talents (see: Dareus, Marcel)
  • an obvious lack of attention to detail
  • highly unintelligent play marked by insane lack of self-control and positional brain farts
  • I would argue that Rex's misuse of his assets is, in military parlance, a gross dereliction of duty. What would lead anyone to believe that he is going to magically learn from his mistakes and improve next year? That is the gross miscalculation which really is difficult to fathom.

Well put

Parcells? I don't see him being interested in it at this point. I too would be happy though to give him the keys.

Don't think I want any part of Polian at this point though. Maybe that's a mistake. Thinking of Parcells may also very well be a mistake.

Does the football czar thing ever work with guys that made their hay in a different era?

The game is different now, albeit the NFL has gravitated more in the direction of the Polian blueprint than a parcels blueprint... Making him potentially the more current and relevant.

This really doesn't add up. On the one hand, you want to say they are well managed with a good GM and owner and with the other hand you want to say the most critical decision that same GM and owner made to date was a total pooch screw.

Bad reasoning. For instance, I'm a good fantasy football player in that I make more good decisions than bad and I have gotten more money out than I put in for many years in a row. But that doesn't mean I don't make any mistakes. I've flubbed first round picks before, sometimes for foreseeable reasons, sometimes not. Doesn't mean I'm not a good player overall, its just indicative of the probabilistic nature of the universe. Every decision only has a percent chance of being correct, and good players (in this case GMs) are the ones who consistently make decisions with good odds. It pays off in the long run, if not in every single decision.

simple response to a question with an obvious answer - NO

(if you mean what they look like on game days); to add to the examples put forth by DallasBillsFan1:

• an absolute train wreck overall
  • zero accountability
  • a coach who does not put his players in positions to succeed, and, in fact, squanders their talents (see: Dareus, Marcel)
  • an obvious lack of attention to detail
  • highly unintelligent play marked by insane lack of self-control and positional brain farts
  • I would argue that Rex's misuse of his assets is, in military parlance, a gross dereliction of duty. What would lead anyone to believe that he is going to magically learn from his mistakes and improve next year? That is the gross miscalculation which really is difficult to fathom.

...and while we're at it, the coach needs too improve clock management skills, time out usages and challenges.

Bad reasoning. For instance, I'm a good fantasy football player in that I make more good decisions than bad and I have gotten more money out than I put in for many years in a row. But that doesn't mean I don't make any mistakes. I've flubbed first round picks before, sometimes for foreseeable reasons, sometimes not. Doesn't mean I'm not a good player overall, its just indicative of the probabilistic nature of the universe. Every decision only has a percent chance of being correct, and good players (in this case GMs) are the ones who consistently make decisions with good odds. It pays off in the long run, if not in every single decision.

Disagree. It''s called having it both ways. One can't say Joe is doing a great job and then turn around and immediately blast his biggest decision in that job.

Besides, it wasn't my post. That was Promo's logic.

I fully get that this is a brand new owner and his track record is virtually non-existent to this point. Does he have it all figured out? Probably not. Is he a great owner? We'll see. It's called patience.

As far as Whaley, he's been involved in hiring Marrone and Ryan. A couple of headscratchers in that some of Whaley's biggest supporters are the biggest critics of his head coaching hires. I get the arguments that he's improved the team on paper. But the jury is still out. The team still can't make the playoffs.

Basically, people should judge the finished product. Just cause some guy looks stylish cutting wood doesn't mean he's a great carpenter.

The question was "are the Bills well managed?" not "did the Bills hire the right coach?" Did Pegula's misstep with the Sabres prevent them from getting on the right path now? This mistake will be corrected.

agreed, but the question is when ?

...and while we're at it, the coach needs too improve clock management skills, time out usages and challenges.

thanks for the additional points - duly noted. He has to be held accountable. The examples you cite are basic, minimal job requirements

Disagree. It''s called having it both ways. One can't say Joe is doing a great job and then turn around and immediately blast his biggest decision in that job.

I fully get that this is a brand new owner and his track record is virtually non-existent to this point. Does he have it all figured out? Probably not. Is he a great owner? We'll see. It's called patience.

As far as Whaley, he's been involved in hiring Marrone and Ryan. A couple of headscratchers in that some of Whaley's biggest supporters are the biggest critics of his head coaching hires. I get the arguments that he's improved the team on paper. But the jury is still out. The team still can't make the playoffs.

Basically, people should judge the finished product. Just cause some guy looks stylish cutting wood doesn't mean he's a great carpenter.

how do you - or anyone - know to what extent Whaley was involved in Ryan's hire? Not throwing you under the bus, but I think it's a fair question....

agreed, but the question is when?

How fast can a aircraft carrier make a u-turn? The fact is the wheel is turned long before you can see the boat change direction. The Sabres have already turned the wheel. The change in direction will follow. It takes time. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Our coach focuses on stupid stuff like captain of the week to draw attention to himself. He is not a serious football man who is focused on winning. Reminds me of Charlie Weis, who rode others successful coat tails to big contracts. Big hat no cattle.

Dude they have new management. As much as everyone wants to lump this Bills incarnation in with the last decade and a half, it really has nothing to do with past teams other than the fact they are still called the Buffalo Bills. For God's sake give the Pegula/Whaley thing a few years. Remember the "cash to the cap" nonsense? Pegula is playing with monopoly money. The answer to your question is very simply "we don't know yet." End of story.

What I do know is that I love the owner, the GM has been very good so far, I don't really even know what Brandon does and our coach had a poor first season.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

how do you - or anyone - know to what extent Whaley was involved in Ryan's hire? Not throwing you under the bus, but I think it's a fair question....

We all know what came out of the mouths of the Pegula, Brandon, and Whaley at the press conference. Whaley was "the football guy" and his input was "as the football guy". Not throwing you under the bus, but the degrees of hair-splitting is the exact opposite direction my original post went.

The Ralph Wilson (RIP)/Marv Levy/Russ Brandon/Dick Jauron team was not well run, that much I do know. This team has nothing to do with that, even though most everyone seems to think that's the case. Let's see where we stand a year from now.

Better managed than coached.

That's definitely fair. Edited by metzelaars_lives

The vast majority of a FO's job turns on 2 things....picking the right HC and QB. Whaley and co have done little to land a franchise QB (I give Rex credit for going after and getting TT) and clearly Rex was a predictable failure.

So concluding the Bills are a "well managed" team relies on pretzel logic. That conclusion cannot follow from the evidence. Only the opposite..

Not trying to be a smart a**, but when do we see the finished product? When are we allowed to start the judgement? IMO, a good coach doesn't need almost an entire year to implement a sound defensive scheme, especially when he was handed the keys to an already above average defense. That is an indicator of a managers inability to play to his employees strengths. I could understand more so if the defense was bad last year and he had nothing to build from, but that wasn't the case.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Pegs/Whaley/Brandon made their choice on the Rex hire. Rex was unable to take above average employees and make them successful. It all starts at the top. This team has been horribly managed at all levels.

Some say more time is needed for the right players to be brought in to effectively run the defense. A good manager knows how to use the tools he has been given to succeed. If he can't get the job done then that falls on the ones who hired him.

Not trying to be a smart a**, but when do we see the finished product? When are we allowed to start the judgement? IMO, a good coach doesn't need almost an entire year to implement a sound defensive scheme, especially when he was handed the keys to an already above average defense. That is an indicator of a managers inability to play to his employees strengths. I could understand more so if the defense was bad last year and he had nothing to build from, but that wasn't the case.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Pegs/Whaley/Brandon made their choice on the Rex hire. Rex was unable to take above average employees and make them successful. It all starts at the top. This team has been horribly managed at all levels.

Some say more time is needed for the right players to be brought in to effectively run the defense. A good manager knows how to use the tools he has been given to succeed. If he can't get the job done then that falls on the ones who hired him.

No question Rex was probably a bad choice. But is that a one-off mistake or a pattern of mismanagement? I prefer to think it's a misstep.