Get a grip

LaderaRanch

My 1st post but I had to speak up...

Everyone must calm down a little.. We have reason for optimism!

Here are the reasons

1) 1st year new owners

Remember last year we didn't even know if this team would stay in buffalo? I'm SURE this was a tough time for the organization as a whole

2) 1st year new coaching staff

Teams with 1st year coaching staffs don't go to the Super Bowl.

3) new starting QB

before the start of the year we thought Matt Cassel was going to be the starter- instead, we got the best statistical year from a buffalo bills qb ever- with a shoddy o line, losing harvin and injuries to Sammy. If Tyrod can improve on that next year he will be the best bills qb in the last 20 years. A full preseason as starter will much improve timing and symmetry between the receivers and Tyrod.

3) the bills have great running backs and the best rushing attack in the nfl. With improved o-line players they will be even better in 2016.

4) the bills defensive secondary has much improved. Gilmore is a stud and Williams and searcy will be back for 2016.. The injuries of those two mad a huge difference

5) defense will be better next year. Rex's defense is pro level that takes time to learn. While Schwartz defense seemed better stastistically last year, it was basic and teams were going to figure out how to attack it quickly. Rex defense will vastly improve after this offseason

What to look forward to this off season

1) draft

The bills will draft a stud linebacker with the #1

The #2 pick will be an online

#3 will be a WR

2) free agency

Mario will be traded or released -no worries.. He's no Bruce Smith

The bills will sign an olineman and a linebacker that fits Rex scheme.

Kyle Williams will be back for one more year- he is the core of that defense

A note about Sammy.. He's a stud but was hampered by injuries and not having a true #1 wide receiver next to him after Harvins injury. Another solid wideout would be huge for this team.. All told, he needs 130 yards in 2 games to hit 1000 for the year.. I'll take that..

Whaley- is a stud.. He has made some great moves and picked up some really good players both in the draft and in FA. Once that office gets some symmetry with what Coaching wants then all will be good.

All told I'm happy-ish about this season and look forward to next year. Continuity is the biggest difference between teams like the pats and teams like the bills over the last 20 years. Continuity is huge in the nfl. Players all learn their jobs like they should and when one goes down the understudy is there to replace them. This will be huge for the bills and I believe once Rex gets that continuity the pats will absolutely have their hands full!

One request from the Peguls... Please replace that dreadful turf and its extreme edge slope..

Where to even begin with this mess

2) No one expected super bowl with new coaching staff but a new staff shouldn't mean a step back

3) Still not sold on Tyrod regardless of stats which rarely tell how good a QB actually is or isn't

3) another number 3, really? At least you made a good point with this one, RBs just need to stay healthy

4) Searcy doesn't even play for the Bills anymore. I should hv and wished I stopped here

5) your comment about Schwartz's defense being basic and that teams will figure it out quickly is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read. You act like Schwartz and his defense were new to league when in fact both have been around and successful for a long time.

Love when ppl say things like Bills will or need to pick this position with their first pick like its a given a player that meets that description will be there. Did you even look to see if there will even be a stud LB in this draft and might be available when the Bills pick in mid late teens? From everything I've read next years draft is very weak at LB.

Who in their right mind would even consider trading for Mario with his current contract especially when everyone knows he will most likely be cut?

Why would Sammy who is supposed to be the teams number 1 receiver need a number 1 receiver next to him?

Edited by Max997

I would agree with people needing to "get a grip" if this team had just gone through the regular growing pains of a new coach, maybe only taking a small step back. But this team is in an even bigger mess now then last year and it's all gotten worse when things should be looking better. The one big bright spot (the defence) that should have allowed a new coach to have a huge jump-start in his first year is the biggest mess and is now going to involve off-season of overhauling the entire unit just so the coach can get it back to the level it was already back. This was uneccessary and only sets the franchise back. Rex is a cancer to the team and is only worth keeping if you enjoy a media circus to distract everyone from a horribly run team. The other thing people gave said about him that was supposed to be a positive is that he's a "players coach" yet it took him less than a season to lose half the players

For once the people Calling for the coaches head after one season are"getting a grip" and would rather they bite the bullet now getting rid of Rex then wasting a few more seasons watching them build themselves into another hole causing them to go into another rebuild

Here are the reasons

1) 1st year new owners

Remember last year we didn't even know if this team would stay in buffalo? I'm SURE this was a tough time for the organization as a whole

3) new starting QB

before the start of the year we thought Matt Cassel was going to be the starter- instead, we got the best statistical year from a buffalo bills qb ever- with a shoddy o line, losing harvin and injuries to Sammy. If Tyrod can improve on that next year he will be the best bills qb in the last 20 years. A full preseason as starter will much improve timing and symmetry between the receivers and Tyrod.

3) the bills have great running backs and the best rushing attack in the nfl. With improved o-line players they will be even better in 2016.

4) the bills defensive secondary has much improved. Gilmore is a stud and Williams and searcy will be back for 2016.. The injuries of those two mad a huge difference

5) defense will be better next year. Rex's defense is pro level that takes time to learn. While Schwartz defense seemed better stastistically last year, it was basic and teams were going to figure out how to attack it quickly. Rex defense will vastly improve after this offseason

1) draft

#3 will be a WR

2) free agency

A note about Sammy.. He's a stud but was hampered by injuries and not having a true #1 wide receiver next to him after Harvins injury. Another solid wideout would be huge for this team.. All told, he needs 130 yards in 2 games to hit 1000 for the year.. I'll take that..

Whaley- is a stud.. He has made some great moves and picked up some really good players both in the draft and in FA. Once that office gets some symmetry with what Coaching wants then all will be good.

All told I'm happy-ish about this season and look forward to next year. Continuity is the biggest difference between teams like the pats and teams like the bills over the last 20 years. Continuity is huge in the nfl. Players all learn their jobs like they should and when one goes down the understudy is there to replace them. This will be huge for the bills and I believe once Rex gets that continuity the pats will absolutely have their hands full!

One request from the Peguls... Please replace that dreadful turf and its extreme edge slope..

Great first post! Welcome aboard. I disagree with the coaching staff and first year. These guys made huge mistakes within the game and flat out stunk. They arent rookie coaches. Rex is doing the same garbage that caused the Jets to Jettison him. Mario will be gone and will be missed. When he is used correctly hes one of the best in the business. Watkins is definitely special but has got to learn to stay on his feet and get yards after the catch. I want to see more of him on slants/underneath getting extra yards. Whaley has done well with the roster but has been a failure at coaches (remember he also decided on Rex or let it happen). That imo is a huge problem. Lets wait and see what Shady does this offseason. He can be a big cry baby sometimes and may want out. The secondary has depth for sure and is solid, I never thought McKelvin would slip so much tho. He has lost a step and most likely wont be back.

Great first post! Welcome aboard. I disagree with the coaching staff and first year. These guys made huge mistakes within the game and flat out stunk. They arent rookie coaches. Rex is doing the same garbage that caused the Jets to Jettison him. Mario will be gone and will be missed. When he is used correctly hes one of the best in the business. Watkins is definitely special but has got to learn to stay on his feet and get yards after the catch. I want to see more of him on slants/underneath getting extra yards. Whaley has done well with the roster but has been a failure at coaches (remember he also decided on Rex or let it happen). That imo is a huge problem. Lets wait and see what Shady does this offseason. He can be a big cry baby sometimes and may want out. The secondary has depth for sure and is solid, I never thought McKelvin would slip so much tho. He has lost a step and most likely wont be back.

Rex Ryan did not get jettisoned in NY because of his defense....

As for the OP, yes people need to get a grip. It's becoming frustratingly annoying the amount of crying that is happening. We get it people, 16 years. Some of us still want to talk about our team without the petty, sarcastic remarks.

The ground swell of anger you are seeing is from recognition across the fan base of what is happening. Team performance peaked last year and the roster talent level peaked at the beginning of this season. They are going to need to retool most of the defense as 2-3 of the front 7 fix Rex's scheme and his stubborn adherence to it despite the mismatch with personnel. This wasn't just another drought... It's the start of a decline into the next cycle of futility. This is the prime reason to call for Rex's head. It's either return to wide 9 or reboot the defensive roster.

Those of us with a little pattern recognition see what's happening and can project the trajectory...

Where to even begin with this mess

2) No one expected super bowl with new coaching staff but a new staff shouldn't mean a step back

3) Still not sold on Tyrod regardless of stats which rarely tell how good a QB actually is or isn't

3) another number 3, really? At least you made a good point with this one, RBs just need to stay healthy

4) Searcy doesn't even play for the Bills anymore. I should hv and wished I stopped here

5) your comment about Schwartz's defense being basic and that teams will figure it out quickly is one of the dumbest comments I've ever read. You act like Schwartz and his defense were new to league when in fact both have been around and successful for a long time.

Love when ppl say things like Bills will or need to pick this position with their first pick like its a given a player that meets that description will be there. Did you even look to see if there will even be a stud LB in this draft and might be available when the Bills pick in mid late teens? From everything I've read next years draft is very weak at LB.

Who in their right mind would even consider trading for Mario with his current contract especially when everyone knows he will most likely be cut?

Why would Sammy who is supposed to be the teams number 1 receiver need a number 1 receiver next to him?

stop. just stop.

Here are the reasons

1) 1st year new owners

3) new starting QB

1) draft

#3 will be a WR

2) free agency

agreed. leave the past in the past. Ralph/Marrone/Schwartz is the past. the rear view mirror. sucks to have a near dead owner holding a franchise back for 10 years, but that era is thankfully over. time to move forward. Bills fans have tortured long memories. go find something to do for the next 6 months, I guarantee this will be quite a team next year. we have an effective QB and a complete offense. The D players don't fit, but that is normal when you blow everything up with new coaches/schemes. That's on Ralph lame duck period combined with Pegs making a business decision to move away from Marrone. On balance, it worked out, Pegs saved the franchise for WNY, but you are getting coaches and therefore schemes Pegs chooses. Can't have it both ways.

stop. just stop.

agreed. leave the past in the past. Ralph/Marrone/Schwartz is the past. the rear view mirror. sucks to have a near dead owner holding a franchise back for 10 years, but that era is thankfully over. time to move forward. Bills fans have tortured long memories. go find something to do for the next 6 months, I guarantee this will be quite a team next year. we have an effective QB and a complete offense. The D players don't fit, but that is normal when you blow everything up with new coaches/schemes. That's on Ralph lame duck period combined with Pegs making a business decision to move away from Marrone. On balance, it worked out, Pegs saved the franchise for WNY, but you are getting coaches and therefore schemes Pegs chooses. Can't have it both ways.

Stop what, making valid points, ok keep your blinders on

They did not hire Rex with the intention of blowing everything up so your point there couldn't be more wrong

Pegs did not choose to move on from Marrone, he chose to leave so another incorrect statement made by you

It's comical you somehow blame Ralph for this mess, absolutely comical

Edited by Max997

Rex Ryan did not get jettisoned in NY because of his defense....

As for the OP, yes people need to get a grip. It's becoming frustratingly annoying the amount of crying that is happening. We get it people, 16 years. Some of us still want to talk about our team without the petty, sarcastic remarks.

He got canned as a HC because his last few years were terriblle. If you dont mind me asking, are you a season ticket holder or do you go to some games? My point is when you spend like some of us do it becomes tiresome. Many on this board know football like the back of their hand and from what ive seen 90 percent want Rex gone.

there is always hope!

folks need to suck it up.

again.

:nana:

LOL and again and again !!!!

The ground swell of anger you are seeing is from recognition across the fan base of what is happening. Team performance peaked last year and the roster talent level peaked at the beginning of this season. They are going to need to retool most of the defense as 2-3 of the front 7 fix Rex's scheme and his stubborn adherence to it despite the mismatch with personnel. This wasn't just another drought... It's the start of a decline into the next cycle of futility. This is the prime reason to call for Rex's head. It's either return to wide 9 or reboot the defensive roster.

Those of us with a little pattern recognition see what's happening and can project the trajectory...

Very well said- AMEN brother.

Edited by billsfan_34

He got canned as a HC because his last few years were terriblle. If you dont mind me asking, are you a season ticket holder or do you go to some games? My point is when you spend like some of us do it becomes tiresome. Many on this board know football like the back of their hand and from what ive seen 90 percent want Rex gone.

LOL and again and again !!!!

Very well said- AMEN brother.

I have been a season ticket holder in the past, and was this year, however I don't have the schedule to make it every week. I have been a Bills fan for a long time, and although I desperately hope they make the playoffs soon, the constant negativity, sarcastic, and petty remarks follow this team like a bad stench. Especially when the casuals or non football fans get a hold of it. Wish we could really change the attitude of the fan base, and of course losing all these years has a ton to do with this, but every little piece of negative or positive news is always tinged with sarcasm or hopelessness. Sometimes I wish we could just be fans of the Buffalo Bills, and not fans of breaking a 16 year streak that has nothing to do with current personnel. It is consuming us.

As for Rex, he has had a top 10 defense every year in New York except 2013 (11), I go with yards per game because points scored against covers up an atrocious offense which is where you could really criticize Rex and their GM for. However his defense was never bad in New York,

Edited by What a Tuel

I have been a season ticket holder in the past, and was this year, however I don't have the schedule to make it every week. I have been a Bills fan for a long time, and although I desperately hope they make the playoffs soon, the constant negativity, sarcastic, and petty remarks follow this team like a bad stench. Especially when the casuals or non football fans get a hold of it. Wish we could really change the attitude of the fan base, and of course losing all these years has a ton to do with this, but every little piece of negative or positive news is always tinged with sarcasm or hopelessness. Sometimes I wish we could just be fans of the Buffalo Bills, and not fans of breaking a 16 year streak that has nothing to do with current personnel. It is consuming us.

As for Rex, he has had a top 10 defense every year in New York except 2013 (11), I go with yards per game because points scored against covers up an atrocious offense which is where you could really criticize Rex and their GM for. However his defense was never bad in New York,

i am with you.

We can agree to disagree. What he did with our D this year was grose. I can give a thousand examples if you would like but heres one- dropping a 330 lb DT into pass coverage. Heres another- not having a challenge TV system set up. Maybe petty to some but in the age of NFL parity that stuff loses games. Lastly, look at our special teams this year- what an abortion minus having a good punter. Rex is not a good NFL HC and I think his defensive scheme has passed him by as well. He refused to adjust to his players this year and good HC's will do that.

This is the argument that allows this underachiever to hang around. There's no spot on the scoreboard for yards allowed. A defense has one job, not keep the other guy from accumulating yards, keep the other guy from scoring and even if they drive the field do not let them in the end zone.

It's and indictment of the defense it took opponents few yards to amass loads of points, not a vindication. Before pedaling blame off on the offense, it was never good in New York or Baltimore during the good and the bad years.

We can agree to disagree. What he did with our D this year was grose. I can give a thousand examples if you would like but heres one- dropping a 330 lb DT into pass coverage. Heres another- not having a challenge TV system set up. Maybe petty to some but in the age of NFL parity that stuff loses games. Lastly, look at our special teams this year- what an abortion minus having a good punter. Rex is not a good NFL HC and I think his defensive scheme has passed him by as well. He refused to adjust to his players this year and good HC's will do that.

Yes! What is so frustrating is how the Coach refused to adjust to the talent and players he had. If your scheme is this complicated, then maybe it's really not that good. And if you check the stats, it really wasn't that good in his last few years in NY either—gives up a lot of points.

And in this case, past performance is indicative of future results. He has proven he can't adjust, why would it change now. Time to move on from Rex and his inept coach philosophy/style and coaching staff.

Yes! What is so frustrating is how the Coach refused to adjust to the talent and players he had. If your scheme is this complicated, then maybe it's really not that good. And if you check the stats, it really wasn't that good in his last few years in NY eithergives up a lot of points.

And in this case, past performance is indicative of future results. He has proven he can't adjust, why would it change now. Time to move on from Rex and his inept coach philosophy/style and coaching staff.

It's frustrating too piss away a talented team. Thats the worst part and why so many are upset.

i am with you.

me too^^^

It's frustrating too piss away a talented team. Thats the worst part and why so many are upset.

and i also understand this facet.

I think What a Tuel is suggesting is we just relax a bit. yep. it did not work out this year.

can we consider it an anomaly rectifiable ?

I think so.

without hope we only have disappointment to depend upon. which is an ugly friend to have hanging about.

so i prefer hope.