Takeways, another very telling Ryan statistic

In his last two years with the New York the Jets had a NFL record low number of turnovers for a two year period. No team in the modern era of the NFL had fewer takeaways in a two year period.

This year, the Bills experienced a significant decline in their takeaways. They were 3rd in the league in takeaways in 2014 and, thus far, have fallen to 18th in 2015. Watching the games this year that was obvious; my expectations for a big play to turn things around were very low as the season progressed, and the diminished number of turnovers was a big part of that.

The cornerstone philosophy of Ryan's defense is to disrupt and confuse offenses, so it would make sense that mistakes by the offense would be a big part of that, with significant big plays like takeaways and sacks. But the Bills regressed dramatically this year under Ryan in both areas.

(As we know, the Bills were #1 in the league in 2014 in sacks per game, with 3.4 per game, the best in the league, and they are 30th in the league in 2015, with 1.4 sacks per game.)

This team was stacked and they regressed in almost catastrophic ways in these two vital areas, ones that a disruptive defense like Ryan's should enhance, not destroy. The players comments now are merely more confirmation of what we have all seen--and what the statistics so clearly highlight.

Rex will go, I think, as the Pegulas aren't blind. They did not think this would happen-ever-under Ryan. Their first instincts on him were correct.

So, how are the Jets doing this year in takeaways, one season removed from Ryan as their coach? They have an average of 2 takeaways a game this year, which is third best in the NFL, up from .8 a game, and last, in 2014 under Rex Ryan.

So what youre really saying is that Rex's defense improved in turnovers this year from the Jets last season...

Its pretty common to have substantial movement in turnovers from year to year - in either direction

In Ryan's last two years with the Jets they had the fewest takeaways in the history of the modern NFL era. This year the Jets are 3rd best in the league in takeaways. Looking at things like the dramatic, completely unexpected, drop in sacks and big plays this year by the Bills, and seeing this defense regress as they did, you can't look at stats like that and not draw some conclusions about the coaching ability of Ryan.

In Ryan's last two years with the Jets they had the fewest takeaways in the history of the modern NFL era. This year the Jets are 3rd best in the league in takeaways. Looking at things like the dramatic, completely unexpected, drop in sacks and big plays this year by the Bills, and seeing this defense regress as they did, you can't look at stats like that and not draw some conclusions about the coaching ability of Ryan.

I would be able to draw more conclusions if the sample was larger. We arent dead last in tunovers this yr. Revis back on the jets. What were the Jets ranking 3 seasons ago? We'll see what we rank next yr or even after this season is done. Still 2 games to play for "stats" this season.

I brought this up (along with his crappy sack stats) a while back.

He is a huge mistake, and now it's likely that we will have to sit through more crappy seasons...then another rebuild.

I have never been this disheartened while looking forward. I have always felt, even with the worst coaches, that they were headed in the right direction ("they just need a QB"),...this year I'm resigned to 2 or 3 more years of mediocrity.

Edited by HoF Watkins

I brought this up (along with his crappy sack stats) a while back.

He is a huge mistake, and now it's likely that we will have to sit through more crappy seasons...then another rebuild.

I have never been this disheartened while looking forward. I have always felt, even with the worst coaches, that they were headed in the right direction ("they just need a QB"),...this year I'm resigned to 2 or 3 more years of mediocrity.

I can remember being more disheartened when the Bills hired Chan Gailey ("who????") and he brought in George Edwards, Schnobel retired, and the best the team could do to improve D in FA was a bunch of Miami Dolphins FA reject LB, while they were trying to sell us Trentative Edwards as QB. It was like "when will it end?"

Somehow this year stings worse. I was not thrilled with the Rex hire and went on record worrying he would ruin our D. But I let myself be talked into happiness with all the Rex Show Happy Talk and actually, strangely enough, a bunch of party talk but that's another story. So I guess I'm not more disheartened. I think the team has much better talent and the change in ownership is good.

But it is more of a letdown, since I did let myself get talked into hoping. And I'm afraid I see a terrible "wet mess" coming if the Pegulas get sucked into Polianland.

Rex is aiding anti-depressant sales in WNY

What about whiskey?

Edited by Hopeful

I can remember being more disheartened when the Bills hired Chan Gailey ("who????") and he brought in George Edwards, Schnobel retired, and the best the team could do to improve D in FA was a bunch of Miami Dolphins FA reject LB, while they were trying to sell us Trentative Edwards as QB. It was like "when will it end?"

Somehow this year stings worse. I was not thrilled with the Rex hire and went on record worrying he would ruin our D. But I let myself be talked into happiness with all the Rex Show Happy Talk and actually, strangely enough, a bunch of party talk but that's another story. So I guess I'm not more disheartened. I think the team has much better talent and the change in ownership is good.

But it is more of a letdown, since I did let myself get talked into hoping. And I'm afraid I see a terrible "wet mess" coming if the Pegulas get sucked into Polianland.

What about whiskey?

See, I was disheartened then, but really believed it was just a matter of quarterbacking. And I believed they would be building on what they already had (meager as it was). It was like "well, we have a few pieces, and eventually we will hit on a QB".

NOW it feels like we have to first sit through a dismantling of what was already here (and was at least pretty good).

Rex had the quality secondary in Darby & Gilmore to improve the interceptions. The shutdown corners should have led to more picks IMO however we have rarely led which helps get garbage time picks.

Garbage time picks, phooey. First of all there's that meaningless term, "garbage time". Operationally from what I see, garbage time is just a comeback that falls short.

QB throw picks for several reasons. #1 your D and coverage is confusing them #2 they're under pressure and in a hurry so they miss something they ought to see or make an inaccurate throw #3 they're trailing and feel they need to take chances to make something happen (I suppose some would say #4 your QB just sucks, but I think that's more rare than folks think)

Even if we stipulate "we have rarely led", #1 and #2 failed to occur. And several games in which we led (2nd MIA game comes to mind) I believe had 0 INTs for our D.

Can we talk you into that?

I am easily swayed. thats for sure!

But i loathe defending my emotional perspective of hope.

lets just say man press corner play. He depends on the one on ones outside.

he was quoted after the last game>

he wished for more aggressive play to the ball all around

Today my children and their respective loved others gave me a long term supply of Bills gear!

apparently i have been found out.

wearing my NFL Bills hat as we speak! : )

doomed

I would be able to draw more conclusions if the sample was larger. We arent dead last in tunovers this yr. Revis back on the jets. What were the Jets ranking 3 seasons ago? We'll see what we rank next yr or even after this season is done. Still 2 games to play for "stats" this season.

In 2 more years the sample size will have improved. My guess is that it will be the only thing that has.

Garbage time picks, phooey. First of all there's that meaningless term, "garbage time". Operationally from what I see, garbage time is just a comeback that falls short.

QB throw picks for several reasons. #1 your D and coverage is confusing them #2 they're under pressure and in a hurry so they miss something they ought to see or make an inaccurate throw #3 they're trailing and feel they need to take chances to make something happen (I suppose some would say #4 your QB just sucks, but I think that's more rare than folks think)

Even if we stipulate "we have rarely led", #1 and #2 failed to occur. And several games in which we led (2nd MIA game comes to mind) I believe had 0 INTs for our D.

So when Tyrod or EJ had a poor 1st Half & padded their stats in the 2nd half attempting a comeback due to the defense backing off, it is not considered garbage time but a failed comeback?

That's amazing!! The game has changed and Rex doesn't know it. Buffoon!!