Bills Need a Veteran QB

When I first heard about the release of Drew, I wasn't shocked. But I wasn't happy about it either.

Although Drew dropped the ball in the last game of the season, he played moderately well in the Bills winning streak. I feel that J.P. will be good. But I think he needs at least a year and a half before we put him out there. Although he didn't play last season, he was injured through half of the year. So he's only really had a half year of training when we were told it would be around a two year project.

I thought that it couldn't have hurt any to have had an open competition in training camp. If J.P. beat Drew out, then he could start and i'm sure Drew wouldn't have been happy. But at least then we'd have a competant veteran waiting in the wings if J.P. didn't work or got injured. Or better yet, let drew start the year and if he even began to show signs of unimprovement (even in the first game), then start J.P. These are all ways that we could have kept them both for at least this year.

I am upset that after all the promise that we showed near the end of last season that we're gambling that by putting someone with zero experience behind center. I would be fine with this if we bring in someone just as competant or better than Drew to back him up or at least COMPETE with Losman. Starting a rookie and having him being backed up by Shane Matthews is a joke.

If we're going to start J.P. Losman, then I think I know the guy i'd want behind him. I know when I say it, most of you are going to crucify me. So just hear me out first. The guy i'd be comfortable bringing in is Quincy Carter.

Although the guy is chock full of personal problems, that doesn't matter on the football field. He's obviously not going to be a starter this year as a result of some of his off the field problems. But talent wise, Carter could start almost anywhere. He's not like most of the guys on the market whose best days are behind them. Carter is in his prime. Last year he was called upon to win a couple key games for the Jets and he got them into the playoffs. Let J.P. start and have Quincy on the bench just in case J.P. gets hurt or struggles so badly that we need to make a switch to save the season. Like I said, he's not going to start anywhere this season. The best situation for him would be to go somewhere that he has the chance to see the field and compete. Buffalo needs a veteran who can still play. If given the opportunity, I think Quincy Carter would not dissapoint. Sign him for a year, it couldn't hurt. Keep Matthews at #3.

Another thing that i'd feel comfortable with (that would probably never happen) would be to have Jeff Garcia come in for a year and try to take this team to the playoffs while J.P. trained and groomed to take over the next year.

Call me crazy, but i'm just not ready to hand the reigns over to someone who was drafted just last year and missed half the season with a broken leg. Not without someone competant behind him. If J.P. goes down, do you trust your season with Shane Matthews?

My opinion: If JP goes down and our choices are Quincy "I could snort the 50 yard line in 10 minutes" Carter or Shane Matthews, we are screwed either way. As far as "mentoring", let's just hope that guy Wyche knows a thing or two to help JP develop and he doesn't really need a veteran QB to guide him....

You bring up an excellent point. Shane Matthews has experience and knowledge of the game and will be a good tutor for J.P. However, this does not mean he is exactly back-up and save a game/season material.

I like the thought of Carter as he is an excellent athlete and has experience in the league. However if this and only if he has put his personnel demons behind him. Players cannot feel comfortable with a leader who has no self-discipline and may not be able to be counted on when it really matters.

So while I see your point, I do have some concerns.

quincy is coked up again and in rehab.........the last thing on his mind is football.........why anyone would want this guy on their team again is beyond me..........

243448[/snapback]

Because he can play. Let him sit in rehab for a couple months during the offseason. He can kick his problems there and come back strong. I guarantee that's what his intentions are.

That stuff doesn't matter when he hits the field.

It appears to me (meaning I and we can easily be wrong on this and other ideas spouted on TSW) that what Bledsoe was likely told is that he will go into the mini-camps and 2005 season as the number 1 QB on the depth chart, BUT the team as a whole was going to learn and practice 1 basic offense, because learning two offenses (1 designed for Bledsoe's strengths and one designed for Losman's strengths) would be impossible for some to do well (dimbulbs who are talented players like Peters for example) and more difficult and less effiicent for everyone.

It is possilble to install a few special plays geared to a particular player, but in general the Bills will have one base Bills (Clements/MM) offense.

The difference is and what likely surprised Bledsoe was the decision that our base offense was going to be designed around what Losman could potentially do well rather than be based around what Bledsoe could potentially do well. Bledsoe could still beat out the young Losman if he was more productive than Losman on the field but he would have to beat him out using an offense designed for Losman (more naked bootlegs, more moving pockets, more rollouts, more screen passes, timing plays and quick openers) rather than beat him out using an offense designed for Bledsoe's strengths (static pocket, deep throws, late developing plays).

My sense is that Bledsoe made a decision that he was not likely to beat out JP or beat him out for long playing JPs game.

As far as a vet, I think if the Bills can find someone who can prosper in the JP offense, this is the player to get. I doubt it is Matthews though I think he will be fine a disaster QB. He is an older hand who can see lots of stuff and understand what is going on, but as Marv used to say, "when a player starts thinking and talking about retirement they are retired. I think Matthews is done and I hope we do better for a back-up.

This strikes me of looking for something to whine about. How many teams have skilled veterans as backups? They already have Sam Wyche coaching JP. I also think you all sell Shane Matthews short. The man has had a long career and knows enough to help the kid. If you're so worried, why not have Jim Kelly hang out on the sidelines for JP to talk to during a game?

PTR

How many teams have skilled veterans as backups? 

243490[/snapback]

That's the best point that's been made in weeks.

Everyone seems to be expecting Losman to go down.

Well, folks, if your starting QB goes down with a terrible injury, in most cases there is little you can do about it. Season suffers.

If we can get a guy like Fiedler, we should be happy about it. Carter? Fine. But if we have Matthews, OK... we did it last year!

I think it's time to depart from the Bledsoe and let the JP era beging. Good decision. As for a backup, someone made a great point, any player thinking about retirement is retired. I wouldn't mind Matthews as a thrid stringer for tutoring and knowledge of the game for JP, but for playing in games when JP (hopefully not) gets injured, he is not the answer. The Bills need a backup capable of playing in important games and not someone out of their prime. I like Brien Griese, the dude can play and won some games last year for the Bucs. He should be released or is UFA. Not sure but he should be willing to come in as backup as he did for Tampa behind Brad Johnson. Another possibility is Mike McMahon, I think he is a UFA and the Lions are looking for a backup to challenge Joey Harrington. Any thoughts.

When I first heard about the release of Drew, I wasn't shocked. But I wasn't happy about it either.

Although Drew dropped the ball in the last game of the season, he played moderately well in the Bills winning streak. I feel that J.P. will be good. But I think he needs at least a year and a half before we put him out there. Although he didn't play last season, he was injured through half of the year. So he's only really had a half year of training when we were told it would be around a two year project.

I thought that it couldn't have hurt any to have had an open competition in training camp. If J.P. beat Drew out, then he could start and i'm sure Drew wouldn't have been happy. But at least then we'd have a competant veteran waiting in the wings if J.P. didn't work or got injured. Or better yet, let drew start the year and if he even began to show signs of unimprovement (even in the first game), then start J.P. These are all ways that we could have kept them both for at least this year.

I am upset that after all the promise that we showed near the end of last season that we're gambling that by putting someone with zero experience behind center. I would be fine with this if we bring in someone just as competant or better than Drew to back him up or at least COMPETE with Losman. Starting a rookie and having him being backed up by Shane Matthews is a joke.

If we're going to start J.P. Losman, then I think I know the guy i'd want behind him. I know when I say it, most of you are going to crucify me. So just hear me out first. The guy i'd be comfortable bringing in is Quincy Carter.

Although the guy is chock full of personal problems, that doesn't matter on the football field. He's obviously not going to be a starter this year as a result of some of his off the field problems. But talent wise, Carter could start almost anywhere. He's not like most of the guys on the market whose best days are behind them. Carter is in his prime. Last year he was called upon to win a couple key games for the Jets and he got them into the playoffs. Let J.P. start and have Quincy on the bench just in case J.P. gets hurt or struggles so badly that we need to make a switch to save the season. Like I said, he's not going to start anywhere this season. The best situation for him would be to go somewhere that he has the chance to see the field and compete. Buffalo needs a veteran who can still play. If given the opportunity, I think Quincy Carter would not dissapoint. Sign him for a year, it couldn't hurt. Keep Matthews at #3.

Another thing that i'd feel comfortable with (that would probably never happen) would be to have Jeff Garcia come in for a year and try to take this team to the playoffs while J.P. trained and groomed to take over the next year.

Call me crazy, but i'm just not ready to hand the reigns over to someone who was drafted just last year and missed half the season with a broken leg. Not without someone competant behind him. If J.P. goes down, do you trust your season with Shane Matthews?

242887[/snapback]

well garcia is strictly a west coast offense guy and we dont play that way.greg williams aint our coach anymore so we wont have players playing systems that they cannot!

I think it's time to depart from the Bledsoe and let the JP era beging. Good decision. As for a backup, someone made a great point, any player thinking about retirement is retired. I wouldn't mind Matthews as a thrid stringer for tutoring and knowledge of the game for JP, but for playing in games when JP (hopefully not) gets injured, he is not the answer. The Bills need a backup capable of playing in important games and not someone out of their prime. I like Brien Griese, the dude can play and won some games last year for the Bucs. He should be released or is UFA. Not sure but he should be willing to come in as backup as he did for Tampa behind Brad Johnson. Another possibility is Mike McMahon, I think he is a UFA and the Lions are looking for a backup to challenge Joey Harrington. Any thoughts.

243553[/snapback]

With the liberal liquor laws in NYS, Greise would love to come here. :doh:

242887[/snapback]

Ok, You are CRAZY. I would trust the season to Shane over Quincy or Jeff.If he decides to play another year look for Shane to be the Bills backup.

quincy is coked up again and in rehab.........the last thing on his mind is football.........why anyone would want this guy on their team again is beyond me..........

243448[/snapback]

Remember when the Players Union was considering suing the Cowboys for cutting Carter for no reason. All that talk quieted down in a hurry. :devil:

Ladies and gentlemen now introducing your new backup QB...Kordell Stewart.

He's perfect as a backup, he has experience with the offense already. He has big game experience if you need it. He can run so you still have your whole playbook.

I freely admit that if Kordell were anymore than #2 I'd be screaming bloody murder but I think his credentials and pricetag fit our needs quite well.

243553[/snapback]

you must have read my mind..EXACTLY

:devil:

He's perfect as a backup, he has experience with the offense already.  He has big game experience if you need it.  He can run so you still have your whole playbook.

I freely admit that if Kordell were anymore than #2 I'd be screaming bloody murder but I think his credentials and pricetag fit our needs quite well.

244197[/snapback]

Kordell would be a perfect #2 for MM's offense.

This strikes me of looking for something to whine about.  How many teams have skilled veterans as backups?  They already have Sam Wyche coaching JP.  I also think you all sell Shane Matthews short.  The man has had a long career and knows enough to help the kid.  If you're so worried, why not have Jim Kelly hang out on the sidelines for JP to talk to during a game?

PTR

243490[/snapback]

Yeah but Promo, you were also an Alex Van Pelt fan! :devil:

I hope they sign Fiedler.

Guest BackInDaDay

He's perfect as a backup, he has experience with the offense already.  He has big game experience if you need it.  He can run so you still have your whole playbook.

244197[/snapback]

What's his status? If he's available and in shape, he'll be here.

What other vets have the mobility Mularkey and Clements want in their '05 QBs, and are willing to accept a backup role?