Lacanfora:Showdown could be brewing b/w Whaley,coaches

YoloinOhio

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what the Bills do. They can keep Rex and Doug or they can fire both or get rid of one or the other. I am worn out. My spirits like so many others have been ripped from my soul. I will never drink the cool aide again. For now on the only time I will get excited is when I see them perform on the field. The Bills act is getting old. Rex did such a crap job this season. All he had to do was maintain a decent defense and have the offense marginally improve. The defense was pathetic. The players on defense hate Rex's D. I get sick of this clown and him always trying to get a laugh during his press conferences. There is no room to be a buffoon and a goof ball when your team has no self control, and can't even be focussed on game day. 16 damn seasons... I like Doug Whaley but I seriously don't care if they cut ties with him either. We have had two bad head coaching choices and he couldn't get along with either guy. If the Pegula's truly picked Rex and not Doug then they need to hire a guy they trust to make football decisions and they need to stick to the oil business. Owners who make football decisions always fail...

I'm also getting sick of his down right avoiding the truth. That video went viral last week of him & Thurman walking side by side when Thurman calls the refs "a disgrace to the NFL" and when asked about it in the post-game pressed he plays dumb. Then today he says nobody on the team quit. What does he call it then? Many of them acted like they didn't care in the 1st half, especially on defense. I give them credit though for actually being more competitive in the 2nd half. With them being mathematically still alive for the playoffs, how do they come out and play so poorly?

Of course I don't.

Ryan needed to enamore the Bills owners not just the GM. He accomplished that with or without Whaley's help.

That may be however in my experience good businessmen (of which Pegs is surely one) never take a decision in an area where they are not themselves expert. In fact, they always invariably seek the advice of the most knowledgeable people and insist on having that. Otherwise they would not be good businessmen after all. The suggestion that Pegs was simply simply sucked in by Wrecks after a few hours together seems highly improbable to me, it defies logic, especially when you consider the kind of contract and reporting line Wrecks was given. IMO somebody besides Wrecks sold him to Pegs, someone Pegs relied on.

If it was Whaley, that might explain why Pegs now hates him ( if he does). Whoever it was should be hung from a tree with a lit bomb in his mouth.

Seconded.

Seconded.

Link?

Nevertheless Whaley was taken by how parallel Ryan’s approach to winning in the NFL was to his own principles of developing a perennial contender.

“For me his philosophy on how to build a championship team, a consistent championship team is exactly the way I think a team should be built,” said Whaley. “It’s proven. This past postseason everybody was talking about the conference championship games and the four quarterbacks in there were unbelievable quarterbacks, but the common theme in both of those games was the running game. A running game and a defense is a quarterback’s best friend. And those types of teams consistently compete for championships.

“I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/How-the-Bills-decided-on-Rex-Ryan-as-head-coach/19b740de-0ca3-4dd6-8fdc-58c0cf013fa2

Completing each others sentences. Adorable.

“He came in and really elevated himself to the top position where we said, ‘Hey we’ve got to have another talk with this guy,’” said Kim Pegula of Ryan.

“It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, ‘You can’t go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. You’ve got to go in with an open mind so you don’t have any biases,’” said Whaley. “And at that point Kim said, ‘Well then how do you know?’ I said, ‘Unfortunately it’s like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know.’ And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.”

Seconded.

Nevertheless Whaley was taken by how parallel Ryan’s approach to winning in the NFL was to his own principles of developing a perennial contender.

“For me his philosophy on how to build a championship team, a consistent championship team is exactly the way I think a team should be built,” said Whaley. “It’s proven. This past postseason everybody was talking about the conference championship games and the four quarterbacks in there were unbelievable quarterbacks, but the common theme in both of those games was the running game. A running game and a defense is a quarterback’s best friend. And those types of teams consistently compete for championships.

“I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/How-the-Bills-decided-on-Rex-Ryan-as-head-coach/19b740de-0ca3-4dd6-8fdc-58c0cf013fa2

“He came in and really elevated himself to the top position where we said, ‘Hey we’ve got to have another talk with this guy,’” said Kim Pegula of Ryan.

“It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, ‘You can’t go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. You’ve got to go in with an open mind so you don’t have any biases,’” said Whaley. “And at that point Kim said, ‘Well then how do you know?’ I said, ‘Unfortunately it’s like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know.’ And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.”

Yup we hired a used car salesman

Seconded.

Nevertheless Whaley was taken by how parallel Ryans approach to winning in the NFL was to his own principles of developing a perennial contender.

For me his philosophy on how to build a championship team, a consistent championship team is exactly the way I think a team should be built, said Whaley. Its proven. This past postseason everybody was talking about the conference championship games and the four quarterbacks in there were unbelievable quarterbacks, but the common theme in both of those games was the running game. A running game and a defense is a quarterbacks best friend. And those types of teams consistently compete for championships.

I knew when he started talking about how he wanted to build a team and I could complete his sentences and he could complete mine in how we want the Buffalo Bills to look we were on the same page.

He came in and really elevated himself to the top position where we said, Hey weve got to have another talk with this guy, said Kim Pegula of Ryan.

It was funny because at the start of the process Kim and Terry asked me who my favorite was and I said, You cant go in with any preconceived notions of what you want and what you like. Youve got to go in with an open mind so you dont have any biases, said Whaley. And at that point Kim said, Well then how do you know? I said, Unfortunately its like when I asked people who were married and I was single. How do you know? You just know. And when we got to that point we all looked at each other and knew that Rex was the guy who we wanted to be our next head coach.

Nope. You can't prove Whaley was calling the shots. Only thing your link shows is he supported the owners choice.

That may be however in my experience good businessmen (of which Pegs is surely one) never take a decision in an area where they are not themselves expert. In fact, they always invariably seek the advice of the most knowledgeable people and insist on having that. Otherwise they would not be good businessmen after all. The suggestion that Pegs was simply simply sucked in by Wrecks after a few hours together seems highly improbable to me, it defies logic, especially when you consider the kind of contract and reporting line Wrecks was given. IMO somebody besides Wrecks sold him to Pegs, someone Pegs relied on.

If it was Whaley, that might explain why Pegs now hates him ( if he does). Whoever it was should be hung from a tree with a lit bomb in his mouth.

Can't disagree with that and I'm not saying Whaley isn't responsible for Ryan's hire or whoever advised the Pegulas for that matter.

This was the Pegulas' first big time decision regarding their new shiny toy, this decision was all theirs. IMO.

Can't disagree with that and I'm not saying Whaley isn't responsible for Ryan's hire or whoever advised the Pegulas for that matter.

This was the Pegulas' first big time decision regarding their new shiny toy, this decision was all theirs. IMO.

The buck mostly stops with them to be sure, especially in a financial sense, but honestly they should be able to expect sound advice from their subject matter experts. I can't really blame them for relying on whatever they were told by their adviser(s). That's what they pay them the big bucks for. I feel badly for Pegs who now has a big mess on his hands. He looks like a decent sort and deserved better.

We don't know. But we have read all the same reports and this is what looks like happened.

Pegulas take over team, spend record amount of money. They call Polian according to reports to help them evaluate the football operations.

Marrone leaves.

Polian declines Czar position.

Pegulas now ask Doug Whaley, the guy who was on the chopping block just a week ago to prepare a list of ALL coaches as the Bills were to do an exhaustive search. They interviewed a crap load of candidates. Almost every major coordinator and head coach out there.

Pegulas use the interviews to build intelligence on their new toy and to get plans on how to fix Bills.

Rex gets interview and wins the interview. Wows everyone, especially the new owners who want to impress fans used to settling for cheap, unwanted candidates.

Rex is hired and Whaley signs off.

You're assuming that the only reason to keep Rex would be to hit a magic number. That might be true.

OTOH, he may not be totally incompetent. No one is saying it worked out swimmingly in year 1, but one might hope the Bills hired him because they felt he could be a good coach.

Who knows. What a mess.

How did Rex do in his last year in NY? He left the team in a shambles. He took over a team that certainly had flaws but was on upswing. Now the second team he presided over is coming apart at the seams See a pattern?

How did Rex do in his last year in NY? He left the team in a shambles. He took over a team that certainly had flaws but was on upswing. Now the second team he presided over is coming apart at the seams See a pattern?

Your Jets example doesn't work on people who follow the AFC East. They gutted their roster with a GM not on the same page as Rex.

Let's focus on what we have here in Buffalo because you don't need to reach to make your point.

Strange - the showdown is over how the OFFENSE has played? o_O

I mean, I want to see Sammy featured too, but chalk some some of that up to a first year QB. But the D, that's been the letdown...

It really is an unusual situation with this entire regime because in my view the bad season all belongs to the new head coach and the defensive coaching staff. There must be so much going on in the backround that the fans simply don't see or hear.

Whaley can complain all he wants but the Bills basically have a rookie QB out there and he needs to take what the opposing defense gives him rather than throw 40 times a game into double coverage.

We don't know. But we have read all the same reports and this is what looks like happened.

Pegulas take over team, spend record amount of money. They call Polian according to reports to help them evaluate the football operations.

Marrone leaves.

Polian declines Czar position.

Pegulas now ask Doug Whaley, the guy who was on the chopping block just a week ago to prepare a list of ALL coaches as the Bills were to do an exhaustive search. They interviewed a crap load of candidates. Almost every major coordinator and head coach out there.

Pegulas use the interviews to build intelligence on their new toy and to get plans on how to fix Bills.

Rex gets interview and wins the interview. Wows everyone, especially the new owners who want to impress fans used to settling for cheap, unwanted candidates.

Rex is hired and Whaley signs off.

I think there is certainly more to it than what you list. Russ Brandon was and still is the CEO of the entire football team and it would fit that he would nudge Rex Ryan towards these new owners who know literally nothing about hiring an NFL head coach. The Pegula's are listed at the very top of the flow chart but then how much do they know about running an NFL team?

I think there is another article out there suggesting that these new owners might be done listening to the status quo. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/20/pegula-listening-to-outside-advice-on-bills-personnel-matters/

Your Jets example doesn't work on people who follow the AFC East. They gutted their roster with a GM not on the same page as Rex.

Let's focus on what we have here in Buffalo because you don't need to reach to make your point.

The Jets participated in the same draft and free agency that the Bills participated in. The team that the Jets have now made subtractions and additions to their roster just as we did. The roster that Rex worked with this year in Buffalo was an upgrade from the Marrone coached team he departed from.

Again, the point is obvious. The team that Rex coached and assembled in NY was in a shambles when he departed. In his first year on the job in western NY the team that he is working with is currently in a shambles. The pattern is obvious and disturbing.

The Jets participated in the same draft and free agency that the Bills participated in. The team that the Jets have now made subtractions and additions to their roster just as we did. The roster that Rex worked with this year in Buffalo was an upgrade from the Marrone coached team he departed from.

Again, the point is obvious. The team that Rex coached and assembled in NY was in a shambles when he departed. In his first year on the job in western NY the team that he is working with is currently in a shambles. The pattern is obvious and disturbing.

You don't like Rex and now he was on the grassy knoll.