New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

Just because it's too complicated for your handicapped little brain to understand, doesn't make it a rabbit hole.

And what we were discussing was who determines Lincoln's relative "goodness." I'm still trying to get you to tell me which people those are. And you keep dodging with a "slavery bad" fallacy.

Wow, you really are letting my argument fly right over your little head!

We as a democratic society can decide our historic heroes, ok? And NOLA has decided, democratically

You really are dodging and weaving. I'm beginning to think you are just fooling yourself with all these twisted arguments. Why am I actually surprised by that??

How?

You really are dodging and weaving. I'm beginning to think you are just fooling yourself with all these twisted arguments. Why am I actually surprised by that??

No. I'm still trying to get you to answer this...

But we admire Lincoln and think he was a good man and a great President. Those Confederates tried to do something the majority of us think is not worth celebrating, so take them away. In a democracy we can celebrate the history we think is good.

Who is this "we" that defines what is "good" or not?

Except were not discussing everyone associated with the confederacy. We're talking about honoring a dishonorable movement and its leaders who unashamedly supported and killed to maintain the immoral practice of slavery.

To my knowledge, none of those monuments honor a dishonorable movement, but instead honor people who died heroically in battle. The fact that we all agree that the issue of slavery is reprehensible is another matter.

Have you noticed how much the Liberals are really taking control of the culture? Monuments like ten commandments, prayer in schools, diversity stuff, everything! Who's winning culture war?

Getting rid of monuments enumerating the Ten Commandments and eliminating prayers in schools, and then claiming that the left are championing diversity? :lol:

Edited by Azalin

To my knowledge, none of those monuments honor a dishonorable movement, but instead honor people who died heroically in battle. The fact that we all agree that the issue of slavery is reprehensible is another matter.

Getting rid of monuments enumerating the Ten Commandments and eliminating prayers in schools, and then claiming that the left are championing diversity? :lol:

either you have no religious imagery in a public space or you have the Ten Commandments and open it up to have Buddha, Baal, The flying spaghetti monster, Vishnu, Christopher Hitchens and Joe Pesci etc etc

Students praying is fine but there can't be any led prayers in a public school

But y'know...I'm starting to warm up to this whole "slavery" idea. If it pisses off blindly stupid, reactionary, brainless retards to the degree we see here, it can't be all bad...

You're talking about a body of thought that believes that equal rights now requires "separate but equal" and thinks poorly prepared cafeteria meals are racist, and it's a microaggression for whitey to eat Thai food.

either you have no religious imagery in a public space or you have the Ten Commandments and open it up to have Buddha, Baal, The flying spaghetti monster, Vishnu, Christopher Hitchens and Joe Pesci etc etc

The Ten Commandments are a code of laws (the preamble to a code, basically.) Vishnu, the FSM, Ba'al, not so much.

But if you want to display the Edicts of Ashoka or the Code of Hammurabi, I'm all for it.

I personally have no problem with any practice or displays of any religion on public grounds. We are a diverse nation, and our public institutions should reflect that.

You think anything more nuanced than a 2x4 to the head is obfuscation. You've misused the term so much it ceases to have any meaning.

Except we're not discussing "right and wrong." We're discussing this immature and childish belief in mass guilt of, since slavery is bad, everyone associated with the Confederacy is bad because they fought for slavery. Which is demonstrably untrue.

Except were not discussing everyone associated with the confederacy. We're talking about honoring a dishonorable movement and its leaders who unashamedly supported and killed to maintain the immoral practice of slavery.

Still got nothing to say about your own personal support of modern slavery? Huh. Who would have predicted that. :lol:

ame="birdog1960" post="3815729" timestamp="1450723272"]

Still got nothing to say about your own personal support of modern slavery? Huh. Who would have predicted that. :lol:

the points and arguments are making are quite simplistic yet fantastic. it's amazing how it is falling on deaf ears.

the points and arguments are making are quite simplistic yet fantastic. it's amazing how it is falling on deaf ears.

it's simplistic by necessity. it's not even possible to get consensus on the morality of slavery here. people want to game that simple question. how would broadening the scope be useful?