I like Sammy, but wow Mack looks like the better player

Dragonborn10

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a Mack in this upcoming draft?

i don't know if there are any 3-4 OLBs or DEs with his size and speed combo but Leonard Floyd from UGA or Bosa would be the two closest. The top LBs are Jaylon Smith and Miles Jack, who are more complete MLB types. DEs -- DeForrest Buckner, Shilique Calhoun and Nkemdiche (drug issue) stand out as pass rushers. Only top 5 elite guy on that list is probably Bosa and Mack was a top 5. Edited by YoloinOhio

Mack as an OLB in Schwartz' 4-3 would've been a criminal under use of his talents.

Thank you!!!!! Its about time

Agree with this, although I think Lee Evans is a bit of an undersell and if we want to stick with former Bills as benchmarks I'd say Sammy is somewhere between Lee Evans and Eric Moulds. A very good to great receiver for sure but not OBD, Megatron, J. Jones type. The trade to move up to get him was silly but that's what you get with fantasy football GM Whaley.

He right now is exactly that.... a poor mans Moulds. I would say thats exactly the type of wr we need except. We dont have an over the middle throwng qb

ODB

142 Targets

Catch % - 60% of targets

Yards per Target - 9.29

Touchdown % - 8.45 % of targets

Sammy

64 Targets

Catch % - 61% of targets

Yards per Target - 11.19

Touchdown % - 11% of targets

The Giants design ways to get Beckham open, move him all over the formation and feed him with targets. Sammy largely lines up in the same spots and runs the same few routes. ODB has made some highlight catches, but he's also missed some easy ones he's tried to turn into highlights. Sammy's move on Revis to clinch the Jets game was a thing of beauty, but that's not leading sportscenter. You can argue Sammy's production may diminish with more targets, but looking at how each team uses each guy and the end result of their targets, it's conjecture to say ODB is clearly a better player than Sammy.

Linearly Beckham blows Watkins out of the water. If you extrapolate those same numbers to give Sammy and Beckham the same catches. Sammys number all come down. Watkins numbers cant accurately be used as he doesnt even have half the beckham sample size.

were you really that confused that on a message board filled with opinions, where I typed IMO in a post, that it was my opinion? Good grief. No need for me to have to answer to stuff like that. Back on ignore.

what yous talkin bout willis?

I don't understand how you can ever complain about having Sammy Watkins on your team. He is only 22 and already one of the most feared weapons in the league. Take the time to appreciate the fact he is on your team instead of wringing your hands about the trade. It is like staring into the sky and trying to find the clouds when the sun is out. The Browns were involved in two of these WR trades and when you are on the side that actually gets the elite player, you are the lucky ones.

take the time to get over his star power and realise hes not giving it %100 and actually is quite the little fraidy cat when it comes to taking on tacklers or making catches in traffic. his rac yards bare this out. But you can keep bowing to him if it pleases you. Sammy is half a player.

Something I heard and not sure of the exact context, care to explain Sammy in the Miami game where he was 90% of the offense (I assume receiving)

Doubt Sammy all you want. I wonder how he'd perform with Tom Brady as his QB.

I will say the Eagles game was his worst this season WRT catches.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WatkSa00.htm

The aforementioned Miami game 8 targets 8 catches for 168 yards

KC 10 targets 6 catches for 158 yards

HOU 4 targets 3 catches for 109 yards

okay can you actually read my posts and process my points? im not saying he doesnt have an impact. im very clear on his short comings. can you actually read instead of posting one stat? (overall yards in few games) if you want to go on that stat alone why not bring back SJ, he had 1000 yards in 4 straight seasons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for gods sakes.

i think that is a very good question....or maybe it illustrates a good point. Sammy (and the entire Bills team) would really benefit from leadership....or a leader who demands excellence and doesn't tolerate any less. Brady (and Flutie) are cocky, arrogant SOBs who have unwavering confidence in their own skills and aren't afraid to dress down a team-mate who isn't pulling his weight. I think there are a few Bills, but Sammy in particular, who would blossom within a Nick-Sabanesque-pefectionist atmosphere.

i like you. and your point.

His YAC suck because he leads the league in bombs caught as a percentage of his passes! He's average over 20 ypc since the bye. Come on, man.

so this excuses all the drops of 50/50 balls and crossing/in routes?? his yac would be less than worst in the league. Yes he caught long ones, so did lee evans, and he was flogged here for that. cmon man. sammy is only able to concentrate whn he feels safe, hence the nice long ball grabs, and the drops of the 5 yard variety. hes a pus$y.

pull up his rac yards. D O N E

take the time to get over his star power and realise hes not giving it %100 and actually is quite the little fraidy cat when it comes to taking on tacklers or making catches in traffic. his rac yards bare this out. But you can keep bowing to him if it pleases you. Sammy is half a player.

okay can you actually read my posts and process my points? im not saying he doesnt have an impact. im very clear on his short comings. can you actually read instead of posting one stat? (overall yards in few games) if you want to go on that stat alone why not bring back SJ, he had 1000 yards in 4 straight seasons !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for gods sakes.

Thin shinned are you?

Why doesn't Sammy have better stats? Because in a passing league he's on a team that features the run and by default he won't get the #'s you use as "super star" criteria.

Is it much easier to call Sammy out than look at why he isn't the primary target.

Sammy runs the routes based on plays called and performs them as best he can. To say he's afraid to run certain plays IMO is more than likely incorrect. Other than you opinion do you have any proof (media reports) to support your theory?

i like you. and your point.

so this excuses all the drops of 50/50 balls and crossing/in routes?? his yac would be less than worst in the league. Yes he caught long ones, so did lee evans, and he was flogged here for that. cmon man. sammy is only able to concentrate whn he feels safe, hence the nice long ball grabs, and the drops of the 5 yard variety. hes a pus$y.

pull up his rac yards. D O N E

Watch the games

It's been pointed out multiple times that YAC are far more difficult to come by when you're catching 60% of your passes BEHIND COVERAGE

If you think Sammy won't go over the middle or take a shot to make a tough catch, go dial up the Houston game and watch the 25-yarder that got called back on Mulligan's holding penalty.

If that's not a guy exposing himself to danger to make a catch over the middle than I don't know what is.

Edit:

Here's his rookie highlight video:

I'd like to respectfully ask: what have you been watching to form this opinion?

Edited by thebandit27

For those keeping track, Sammy is currently 74th in catches and 29th in yards, yet he's tied for 10th in TD catches and is 3rd in catches of 40 yards or more (1 behind Beckham despite playing 3 fewer games)...

...and he's 61st in number of targets.

I'd say it's clear what the problem is...

For those keeping track, Sammy is currently 74th in catches and 29th in yards, yet he's tied for 10th in TD catches and is 3rd in catches of 40 yards or more (1 behind Beckham despite playing 3 fewer games)...

I'll take - the QB's throwing to him for $1000 Alex. ?

And no YAC with an OC who calls plays where Watkins is no more then a decoy. When TT looks at Watkins, he throws to him, otherwise he isn't involved. I cant remember a play where TT looks off a DB and throws to Watkins. Geez when TT rolls out Watkins is on the other side of the field.

In addition nothing over the middle, no passes in space and he's never hidden. How does OBJ seem to have catches every game in space or wide open? Yesterday he drops a wide open TD on a simple pattern and the last drive a catch and run for 40 yards. The prior week he's 15 yards open on an 87 yard TD.

Every Watkins catch is in tight coverage.

And no YAC with an OC who calls plays where Watkins is no more then a decoy. When TT looks at Watkins, he throws to him, otherwise he isn't involved. I cant remember a play where TT looks off a DB and throws to Watkins. Geez when TT rolls out Watkins is on the other side of the field.

In addition nothing over the middle, no passes in space and he's never hidden. How does OBJ seem to have catches every game in space or wide open? Yesterday he drops a wide open TD on a simple pattern and the last drive a catch and run for 40 yards. The prior week he's 15 yards open on an 87 yard TD.

Every Watkins catch is in tight coverage.

Yes. Exactly.

There's a big difference in the way the two guys are used.