Passion for the Sabres!!!!!!!!!

What's hockey?  :huh:

242773[/snapback]

A thing that allows politicians to stoke public passion so they can get public money to get buildings constructed while getting kickbacks and giving jobs away in the certainty that the recipients will work hard to keep them in office. See also professional football, baseball, and basketball. :D

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Save for the 99 Buffalo Haseks team, my enthusiasm for the Sabres waned in the mid-80's.

That 79-80 team killed me by getting punked by the Islanders when we were packed: Edwards/Sauve tandem, Bert, Martin, Gare, Ramsay/Luce, Young MRamsey, Schoeny.

That may have been our best chance of tasting the cup and they blew it.

After that it was the slow drift to mediocrity (with props to Foligno, Andy, LaF and Mog) despite acquiring a cast of number 1 picks. Anyone remember Dudichek, Cyr, Creighton, Lacombe, Steve Patrick, and Bo Mikael?

Add that abortion of a Uni to a non-competitive team - mix in the season cancellation, and you'll guess why my interest is a low ebb.

Well, there's no Sabres hockey to get excited about right now. There aren't any fans in hockey that have taken more abuse in the last few years than Sabres fans. The really crappy thing about it is the Sabres have a good, young team. They would have been fun to watch over a playoff like 28 game season and then the actual playoffs. Maybe they will fix things and with a salary cap the Sabres will be able to compete year in and year out without charging two arms & a leg for a ticket. Call me in October.

I couldn't be happier that the season got canceled. Now the Sabres won't rape the Amerks of their talent going into the playoffs.

242522[/snapback]

Come on. The Amerks talent isn't their talent, it's the Sabres talent on loan. Top minor league teams, and their fans, should never feel too comfortable about maintaining their top producers. That's a pipe dream, as most of us know. Also, every other AHL team would lose some of their top players in the same fashion as the Amerks if there was a settlement.

Like most of you, I grew up in WNY. We grew up loving the home team, the Bills, Sabres and for some of you the Braves. What I truly don't understand is how or why so  few of you love the Sabres. With Buffalo being such a hockey town, I figured more of you would show more passion for our team. I have such fond memories of growing up listening and watching the games. Many of my friendships were driven by our interest in the team. Maybe with all the losses and The Rigas fiasco, the team doesn't interest you anymore. I for one, love our team regardless of record, ownership problems and strikes. Does anyone out there also love this team and follow it with the same passion as the Bills???  Doug in Clearwater

242517[/snapback]

I'm with you...I was also a huge Braves fan. My brother and I would huddle around the radio at night and listen to Van Miller call the games. Bob McAdoo, Randy Smith, Billy Knight, Ernie DiGreggorio...(sigh). John Y. Brown ripped out my heart when he moved the team and I have never forgiven the NBA and have no interest in it whatsoever. If the NHL were to contract the Sabres, that league would be dead to me as well.

Actually, the NHL now has a chance to finally get it right. The league needs a cap, but they also need revenue sharing along the lines of what the NFL has. The players and their union need to become a partner in the enterprise, not an adversary. If they miss this opportunity to get the economics and partnerships right, all becomes moot and "who cares" will be the result. Sadly, to some or even many, that point has already been reached, especially when the current ticket prices are factored in.

Frankly, I believe the 42.5 Mil cap last propsed by the owners was a bit too high in and of itself anyway. Without a major TV contract, too much of the cost was placed squarely on the shoulders of the seated fans.

I would rather have a Stanley cup than a Superbowl, hands down. There is nothing more exciting than playoff hockey. Every shift for three periods straight, you are on the edge of your seat. It is a damn shame. I am still hurting from the gut punch the NHLPA gave me yesterday. I will be hurting for a long, long time.

It's one thing to say to hell with the players and owners, but I feel badly for everyone on the periphery of hockey who is losing income.

Ticket takers, security guards, concessions workers, tv crews, local bars and restaurants. It would be a terrible blow to Buffalo if the Sabres don't come back and are contracted.

:)

Over 80% of the people who put down a $50 deposit for 2004/05 Sabres Season tickets have asked for their $50 back instead of letting it rollover to next season.

243173[/snapback]

And the other 20% are just wasting their money. Anyone who wants to drop a dime into that league has to be questioned. Really.

Like most of you, I grew up in WNY. We grew up loving the home team, the Bills, Sabres and for some of you the Braves. What I truly don't understand is how or why so  few of you love the Sabres. With Buffalo being such a hockey town, I figured more of you would show more passion for our team. I have such fond memories of growing up listening and watching the games. Many of my friendships were driven by our interest in the team. Maybe with all the losses and The Rigas fiasco, the team doesn't interest you anymore. I for one, love our team regardless of record, ownership problems and strikes. Does anyone out there also love this team and follow it with the same passion as the Bills???  Doug in Clearwater

242517[/snapback]

I dunno, maybe the fact that this is a football board? :doh:

Save for the 99 Buffalo Haseks team, my enthusiasm for the Sabres waned in the mid-80's.

That 79-80 team killed me by getting punked by the Islanders when we were packed: Edwards/Sauve tandem, Bert, Martin, Gare, Ramsay/Luce, Young MRamsey, Schoeny.

That may have been our best chance of tasting the cup and they blew it.

After that it was the slow drift to mediocrity (with props to Foligno, Andy, LaF and Mog) despite acquiring a cast of number 1 picks. Anyone remember Dudichek, Cyr, Creighton, Lacombe, Steve Patrick, and Bo Mikael?

Add that abortion of a Uni to a non-competitive team - mix in the season cancellation, and you'll guess why my interest is a low ebb.

242795[/snapback]

Aaron...don't want to bring back bad memories, but here is the entire draft history of the Sabres.

Shawn Anderson #5 overall. Just turned 37 and he is still bouncing around. Click on his name to see his history. AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr000033.html

I often live in the past about Buffalo sports, but my Sabres memories are still strong and awesome to me.

The feeling of walking up to the Aud on a warm spring night for a playoff game. The loud chants of Let's Go Buffalo!!!!! stronger and stronger with each chant, everyone high fiving and being proud to be a fan and even more proud to be from Buffalo.

Countless nights listening to Rick Jennerett(sp???) call games on the radio during many snowwy winter nights.

Ted Darling the voice of the Sabres doing all the play by play for all those playoff games in the 80's vs Montreal, Boston and Quebec.

Mogilny and Patty and Sneaky Pete

even the boring hasek years when we only won each game 2 -1 and we were outshot 50 - 17

I guess I just wish more of you loved the team like I still do. The Sabres side of this board would be a lot more interesting. Living in the past in Clearwater

Aaron...don't want to bring back bad memories, but here is the entire draft history of the Sabres.

Shawn Anderson #5 overall.  Just turned 37 and he is still bouncing around.  Click on his name to see his history.  AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr000033.html

243632[/snapback]

Shawn Anderson? This is supposed to make me feel better?

Those greedy owners and players will NEVER get a dime of my money, Im selling all my Sabres stevestojan, because thats what it is to me now, a BIG pile of stevestojan taking up space

242691[/snapback]

You could stand in the parking lot across from the HSBC arena.....notify the local media and burn all of your paraphurrnalia.

:devil:<_<