A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

With respect to the over/under at the beginning of the year, what that failed to take into account was the fact that the AFC South and NFC East turned out to be the two most putrid divisions in football, and certainly with respect to the NFC East, that was unexpected. The Bills already have 3 losses against those teams (with 2 games to go), when at most it should be 1. So when the preseason over/under was 8.5, if you factored in what ended up being a pretty easy schedule, at would have been 10.5. Next season the schedule is unlikely to be as easy, so consider 2015 a blown opportunity, with the main blower being the big mouth head coach whose promises have been completely unfulfilled.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With respect to the over/under at the beginning of the year, what that failed to take into account was the fact that the AFC South and NFC East turned out to be the two most putrid divisions in football, and certainly with respect to the NFC East, that was unexpected. The Bills already have 3 losses against those teams (with 2 games to go), when at most it should be 1. So when the preseason over/under was 8.5, if you factored in what ended up being a pretty easy schedule, at would have been 10.5. Next season the schedule is unlikely to be as easy, so consider 2015 a blown opportunity, with the main blower being the big mouth head coach whose promises have been completely unfulfilled.

excellent context, which places the preseason over/under as very much less than the Gospel truth

Rex said he would not let the fans down. He lied!! Its like he is trying to get fired. If he were a man he would resign.

Rex also promised the NY Jets fans a super bowl among other things, and he managed to break all those promises to Jets fans. 4-12 last year.

you think any of them want Ryan back now that the Jets are 8-5, and they will more then likely be in the playoffs? This with Chan Gailey as OC, and Fitz at QB :P

Edited by Nihilarian

4 plays that drove me nuts yesterday. Three 3rd and relatively shorts (2-4 yards) and a 4th and short. On each of the 4 plays, Taylor threw the ball deep, low percentage throws. All were incomplete and drive stoppers. Don't know if that's the play called or Taylor taking the deep option. Move the chains dammit. Taylor isn't Aaron Rodgers yet.

The man has had 13 games now to look at his scheme and make changes. So at 6-7 it ain't happening this year.

We all saw what he was like in NY last year at 4-12, and he cried publicly that the GM there was out to get him, and his QB turned the ball over to often. So he came into Buffalo and castrated a top defense because the current defensive players don't fit his scheme. Leading the NFL in penalties is just what a bully would do.

I only hope the fans that have been out of the playoffs for 15 years, and just faced another wasted season aren't forced to endure another losing season. We deserve better!

How many players from the last years starters are not playing this year on Defense. Other than Searcy whom the front office did not sign, the same line up was back on the field. I don't think Rex changed players...

This team needs a tough coach who will force them to excel on all aspects of the game...Or do we have mediocre talent that no coaching staff can mold them. May be the truth lies somewhere in between.

4 plays that drove me nuts yesterday. Three 3rd and relatively shorts (2-4 yards) and a 4th and short. On each of the 4 plays, Taylor threw the ball deep, low percentage throws. All were incomplete and drive stoppers. Don't know if that's the play called or Taylor taking the deep option. Move the chains dammit. Taylor isn't Aaron Rodgers yet.

I agree...Those plays were annoying....In fact Taylor himself could have run for first downs and even if we don't get a few of them, so what....At least that would have put the Eagles to allocate a spy to keep Taylor in check...Which means Woods or Watkins could have been open. Yesterday, this Bills team did not generate any fear within the opponent. They were not afraid of us.

How many players from the last years starters are not playing this year on Defense. Other than Searcy whom the front office did not sign, the same line up was back on the field. I don't think Rex changed players...

This team needs a tough coach who will force them to excel on all aspects of the game...Or do we have mediocre talent that no coaching staff can mold them. May be the truth lies somewhere in between.

I agree...Those plays were annoying....In fact Taylor himself could have run for first downs and even if we don't get a few of them, so what....At least that would have put the Eagles to allocate a spy to keep Taylor in check...Which means Woods or Watkins could have been open. Yesterday, this Bills team did not generate any fear within the opponent. They were not afraid of us.

Spikes gone. McKelvin out. Aaron Williams most of the season. Darcy in and looks good. Major changes that come to mind before Kyle Williams injury. Some changes before the "injury bug" bit.

But I'm reminded of how the Bills D seemed to play under Wannstache, when they didn't seem to believe in either themselves, or the D scheme, or maybe both.

I'm earnestly hoping this is not the case at all, and I have some thoughts on the head coaching / GM situation.

Last off season the new owners were looking to hire an NFL "czar" (experienced NFL team adviser / president) to run the football side of operations, and contacted ex Buffalo Bill GM Bill Polian about the job. He agreed to take over at some point, and then backed out once Doug Marrone walked away from the team. The NFL even advised the new owners to hire a senior adviser, and for whatever reason they chose not to.

My thinking is that once Russ Brandon / Doug Whaley heard that the new owners offered Bill Polian a job they both panicked because they both realized their jobs might be at stake. Polian had stated that if he took the job he would probably hire AJ Smith as the new GM, and hiring Polian would bring an abrupt end to Russ Brandon's involvement in free agency, and the NFL draft. Bills inside info person who posts in this forum "Leroi" has recently stated that Brandon has been involved in the draft process since Marv Levy retired as GM 2008-2015.

Stating that I'm also thinking that Rex Ryan was nudged towards new ownership by Whaley / Brandon because of his history in building top defenses, and the Bills defense was / is loaded with top defensive talent. Rex Ryan himself recently stated that he has never had a defense worse then 11th in sacks, and he has had a reputation of constantly running an overload blitz with his defenses. Its what Pettine ran under Rex Ryan with the Jets, and what Pettine ran in Buffalo as the Bills DC. See the correlation of wanting Rex Ryan because of Pettine in thinking they would get the same defense that Pettine had run, only this defense would be run by the "master" himself.

Now fast forward to this year, and these new owners might not be so happy with what was nudged their way by Whaley / Brandon. I'm really hoping that they hire that senior adviser like the NY Jets did to hire Todd Bowles considering the Jets are now 8-5 with a solid shot at the playoffs after being 4-12 under Rex Ryan last year.

I have no desire to see these new owners do anything other then hire a team president to run the football side of operations like they initially intended. I might recommend a man like current Packers GM Ted Thompson who might just take a promotion to be the Bills team president. Then let him make the decisions on if he wants to keep Rex Ryan as HC. This would also move Russ Brandon out of the football operations involvement, and let him run the Sabres / Bills financial side.

If anyone on the planet is smart enough to determine if Tyrod Taylor is the answer at QB its Thompson. A man who had enough football acumen to see Aaron Rodgers could replace Brett Favre before he even started an NFL game. look at all the WR's the Packers have obtained over the years with just #2 picks. The Bills could still keep Whaley as GM, and give him some help in making the final football decisions. Hiring that team president would also take the owners out of the football operations loop. JMO

Hmmm, interesting, I agree!!