POLL: Fire Rex and/or Whaley?

dtgolder

Should we fire Rex and Whaley?  

359 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Pegulas release Rex and/or Whaley?

• Fire Rex now; keep Whaley
    • Fire Whaley now; keep Rex
    • Fire both Rex and Whaley
    • Keep both Rex and Whaley

people need to come to terms with the fact that Rex will be here for next season... and probably the season after that at a minimum. The Pegulas will not pull the plug on this one year in... the fact that he spoke at the WJC presser also speaks to the fact that he is still in good graces of the company. Just accept it and sit back. He will either crash and burn or turn the thing around. Let him run the show, have the coordinators he wants, run the schemes he wants. Let him succeed or fail. The Pegulas DO want to win and if Rex is on the back half of that contract and things are a tire fire, they will try something else.

Like I said before. The Whaley thing scares me a bit. Only because it seems like there is some sort of rift(s) going on there behind the scenes between somebodies... and it seems out of all the 'power brokers' at OBD, Whaley is absolutely on the weakest footing. IMO we really need his drafting to continue.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been over Rex for quite a while, given the lack of character of this team and the penalties. I think Whaley also has made some poor decisions.

I'm ready to cut bait on both and start over...not sure who is out there now, or who might be available after the end of the season, but for me the team is definitely headed in the wrong direction.

Anyone else ready to dump Rex and crew? Would love to hear opinions, and who else might be out there that could help.

Just hate to see us squandering the talent that is on this team with a coach and GM that can't cut the mustard.

Let me get this straight. You hate to see us squander the talent we have yet want us to fire the guy that brought that talent here? Explain!

It looks like the Jets were able to upgrade HC and GM , but the revolving door in Cleveland scares away top coaches and GMs.

I'am more concerned with injuries , penalties and switching to a new defense without the right players. Rex could still succeed here if Taylor is the real deal.

I give Rex credit for bringing in Taylor just don't give him the power Chip has.

Edited by ALF

Don't count on it.

You're probably right. That's why, for the first time in my 50 years of being a Bills fan, I actually want them to lose out, badly, in the hope the Pegulas might fire him if the team gets blown out in their last three games--especially the final home game against the Jets.

I've been over Rex for quite a while, given the lack of character of this team and the penalties. I think Whaley also has made some poor decisions.

I'm ready to cut bait on both and start over...not sure who is out there now, or who might be available after the end of the season, but for me the team is definitely headed in the wrong direction.

Anyone else ready to dump Rex and crew? Would love to hear opinions, and who else might be out there that could help.

Just hate to see us squandering the talent that is on this team with a coach and GM that can't cut the mustard.

Whaley has been terrific...how people can't see that is mind blowing. Its not Rex and/or Whaleys fault that this year we decimated by injuries. Don't respond with mythological crap response "injuries happen to all teams" either because they don't. Yes, players get hurt on every team, but one does not equal the other. If team A loses 2 players who happen to be QB and #1 WR and team B loses 2 players and one is starting DB and Starting OG, those are in NO WAY equal. Team A season is most likely done, and team B can most likely survive the injury.

This year, we have:

1. A first year HC, OC, DC implementing new systems.

2. First time starting QB

3. Lost starting QB in multiple games to injury (which we lost and probably don't lose are in the playoff hunt with Taylor)

4. Had starting QB play hurt almost every game he has played.

5. Lost all 5 of our WRs at some point, and multiple for the season.

6. Had our #1 WR not only miss time, but play hurt through most the season.

7. Lost all 5 of our RBs, including guys we had to sign from PS, at some point through the season, and some for the year.

8. Had our best RB play the whole season hurt and his stud backup out multiple weeks.

9. Lost our whole right side of the OL, and some backups too.

10. Lost our starting safeties.

11. Missing starting DB's at times this year.

12. Has most of our LBs hurt

13. Even had our better ST players miss time.

14. Seen our starting TE hurt and miss time.

That is a LOT for any team to over come. To just blindly ignore that situation and just say our GM (who has done great in the draft, FA, and in trades) should be fired is so ridiculous it makes me wonder if anyone here understands football at all. Who the hell would you replace him with? He's trade raped teams, he has added great players in the draft, he's found ways to sign our own back we wanted to keep, and has not only got key free agents here, but has also found great value in FA like Graham, Rambo, Incognito, etc.

To also blame all of it on Rex is ludicrous. Has the staff been perfect? Absolutely not. But the staff has also had a tremendous amount to over come while at the same time trying to build continuity and familiarize themselves with the strengths and weaknesses of this team. This staff has been very good at making half time adjustments, which is a very good sign of a good staff. When this team has been healthy it has looked like a team to fear. But, the amount of injuries to the significant starters on this team has been devastating and its really hard to gauge the effectiveness of Rex and this rest of the staff considering.

For me, Rex and Roman are the best this team has had in years and they faced a lot of challenges. Roman has done a spectacular job creating offense on a team who has seen all its playmakers miss time and play hurt. Thurman on the other hand has been very disappointing and I wouldn't be surprised to see a change next year at DC. Im not sure it will happen, but if there is going to be a change, that and the ST coach are the ones I can see going.

Whaley has been terrific...how people can't see that is mind blowing. Its not Rex and/or Whaleys fault that this year we decimated by injuries. Don't respond with mythological crap response "injuries happen to all teams" either because they don't. Yes, players get hurt on every team, but one does not equal the other. If team A loses 2 players who happen to be QB and #1 WR and team B loses 2 players and one is starting DB and Starting OG, those are in NO WAY equal. Team A season is most likely done, and team B can most likely survive the injury.

This year, we have:

1. A first year HC, OC, DC implementing new systems.

2. First time starting QB

3. Lost starting QB in multiple games to injury (which we lost and probably don't lose are in the playoff hunt with Taylor)

4. Had starting QB play hurt almost every game he has played.

5. Lost all 5 of our WRs at some point, and multiple for the season.

6. Had our #1 WR not only miss time, but play hurt through most the season.

7. Lost all 5 of our RBs, including guys we had to sign from PS, at some point through the season, and some for the year.

8. Had our best RB play the whole season hurt and his stud backup out multiple weeks.

9. Lost our whole right side of the OL, and some backups too.

10. Lost our starting safeties.

11. Missing starting DB's at times this year.

12. Has most of our LBs hurt

13. Even had our better ST players miss time.

14. Seen our starting TE hurt and miss time.

That is a LOT for any team to over come. To just blindly ignore that situation and just say our GM (who has done great in the draft, FA, and in trades) should be fired is so ridiculous it makes me wonder if anyone here understands football at all. Who the hell would you replace him with? He's trade raped teams, he has added great players in the draft, he's found ways to sign our own back we wanted to keep, and has not only got key free agents here, but has also found great value in FA like Graham, Rambo, Incognito, etc.

To also blame all of it on Rex is ludicrous. Has the staff been perfect? Absolutely not. But the staff has also had a tremendous amount to over come while at the same time trying to build continuity and familiarize themselves with the strengths and weaknesses of this team. This staff has been very good at making half time adjustments, which is a very good sign of a good staff. When this team has been healthy it has looked like a team to fear. But, the amount of injuries to the significant starters on this team has been devastating and its really hard to gauge the effectiveness of Rex and this rest of the staff considering.

For me, Rex and Roman are the best this team has had in years and they faced a lot of challenges. Roman has done a spectacular job creating offense on a team who has seen all its playmakers miss time and play hurt. Thurman on the other hand has been very disappointing and I wouldn't be surprised to see a change next year at DC. Im not sure it will happen, but if there is going to be a change, that and the ST coach are the ones I can see going.

Agree about Whaley and Roman; very much disagree about Rex.

Agree about Whaley and Roman; very much disagree about Rex.

Understandable...and to be clear, I am not saying Rex is the end all be all. I am saying that I still feel he's the best coach we have had in years (admittedly isn't saying much as we have had dud after dud) IMO, and that I don't think he's had a fair chance to show if he's the right guy long term given the challenges this team has faced. For perspective...

If the refs don't steal 2 different TD's from the Bills against the Giants, or if Hughes doesnt miss that easy tackle, we win that game and we are 7-6. If Taylor doesn't miss 2 games, we most likely win those games as we almost won them with EJ struggling. All of a sudden, those 2 factors alone make us a 9-4 team. How much "Fire Rex" talk would there be if we were sitting at 9-4 right now and firmly leading the wild card chase? I mean, thats how impactful just those 2 things have been. That doesn't even come close to accounting for the myriad of bad calls this team has had swing games against them this year, the loss of our WR playmakers, the fact Taylor has also played hurt in the games he did play, the fact we lost our whole right side of our OL, that all of our RBs have been hurt, Clay has been hurt, our safeties have been hurt, starting DBs been hurt, almost all our LBs have been hurt, etc etc.

So, to ignore that and blame Rex for it all is just not something that makes sense. My biggest gripe about Rex has simply been the penalties. Part of the problem is the some of the players on the field like Hughes are just stupid and I don't know if you can fix stupid as a coach. Mulligan, another guy who shouldn't be on the field and kept making dumb penalties. Back up OL players too...but again, how much of that is Rexs fault when many of those players are backups and are only in because starters are hurt? How much of it is Rex and how much of it is Hughes being mentally weak (he's always made bone head penalties)?

So, Rex gets the benefit of the doubt for me for another year because of what has transpired. I am very disappointed in Thurman though, and I suspect we are going to see a change there and in ST.

Edited by Alphadawg7

How did the NY Jets get so much better and the Bills go nowhere since last year? I've read a few of the lengthy excuses posted above and they don't hold water. Just excuses for losing!

The Jets, under buffoon Rex Ryan, were 4-12 last year. Now Ryan is leading the Bills to an under performing season. For example, he has taken a very good defense and turned it into an average defense.

Doug Whaley, the much loved GM on TBD, is getting all the credit for all his "great" moves. I don't buy it. He hasn't done so great.

Comparing the Jets and the Bills here is what both teams did to acquire a #1 wide receiver. The Whaley Bills traded two 1st round draft picks to pick up Sammy Watkins. The Jets, coming off a 4-12 season with no top receiver, traded a 5th round pick to the Bears for Brandon Marshall.

Here are the 2015 stats for both receivers:

Watkins 39 receptions, 716 yards, 7 TD, 86 yards after catch.

Marshall 89 receptions, 1187 yards, 11 TD, 297 yards after catch

[i'm not even emphasizing the fact that Whaley could have had Odell Beckham Jr. if he was such a genius.]

How did these moves work out for both teams in 2015?

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan made a great move getting Marshall for only a 5th rounder. Whaley made NO such great move! The Jets are 8-5 and the Bills are 6-7. If the Bills "leadership" under Whaley and Ryan is so great, why have they been passed by the Jets with a rookie head coach and a perennial back-up QB leading them?

My answer is the Jets GM/Head coach tandem is better than the Bills GM/Head coach. Do you think the Jets are sad that they fired Ryan and Buffalo hired him? They are jumping for joy. Not only did they hire a better coach, but they dumped their garbage in Buffalo!

New England will never have to worry about the Bills with Whaley/Ryan making the decisions!!!

Stop living in fantasyland. Stop making excuses. The record shows these two have failed repeatedly.

How did the NY Jets get so much better and the Bills go nowhere since last year? I've read a few of the lengthy excuses posted above and they don't hold water. Just excuses for losing!

The Jets, under buffoon Rex Ryan, were 4-12 last year. Now Ryan is leading the Bills to an under performing season. For example, he has taken a very good defense and turned it into an average defense.

Doug Whaley, the much loved GM on TBD, is getting all the credit for all his "great" moves. I don't buy it. He hasn't done so great.

Comparing the Jets and the Bills here is what both teams did to acquire a #1 wide receiver. The Whaley Bills traded two 1st round draft picks to pick up Sammy Watkins. The Jets, coming off a 4-12 season with no top receiver, traded a 5th round pick to the Bears for Brandon Marshall.

[i'm not even emphasizing the fact that Whaley could have had Odell Beckham Jr. if he was such a genius.]

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan made a great move getting Marshall for only a 5th rounder. Whaley made NO such great move! The Jets are 8-5 and the Bills are 6-7. If the Bills "leadership" under Whaley and Ryan is so great, why have they been passed by the Jets with a rookie head coach and a perennial back-up QB leading them?

My answer is the Jets GM/Head coach tandem is better than the Bills GM/Head coach. Do you think the Jets are sad that they fired Ryan and Buffalo hired him? They are jumping for joy. Not only did they hire a better coach, but they dumped their garbage in Buffalo!

New England will never have to worry about the Bills with Whaley/Ryan making the decisions!!!

Stop living in fantasyland. Stop making excuses. The record shows these two have failed repeatedly.

Why didn't the superior Jets beat the Bills at home on TNF?

Enough about firing Rex Ryan. I'm disappointed and frustrated about this season too, but can't blame everything on Rex Ryan. Yes, penalties are a big problem. A huge problem. Probably cost us at least two wins this season. I would also argue that injuries, some historically awful officiating, and new systems also contributed to a few loses. Pegula isn't firing Rex this year, but not sure about Whaley. Personally, I think Whaley has done a decent job as a young GM for this team. I'd like to see both stay with the organization if they can work together.

Of course Rexy got up for that game.

Against his old team who fired him. He was going to have his team ready for that one. That is Rex's problem. Consistency.

You think his current record of loss's after wins since 2011 is some sort of fluke? The guy gets overconfident and to a point lazy after wins(unless the next games is the Patriots and now Jets) and the team follows.

The game against them in the finale will be a good one and I may watch it just because of the meaning behind it. But the Jets have been more consistent under Bowels then the Bills under Rex.

I think it's a reflection of mediocre to lousy teams.

OMG, people need to STOOOOOOPPPPP with the Jets comparisons from last year to this year. You immediately brand yourself uninformed and biased by implying Rex is the main reason for their improved record. Think what you want about Rex, fine. But geezus, the Jets are NOT remotely close to the same team this year. They added an outstanding playmaking WR that can go get the football, one of the best WRs in the NFL mind you. They added great RB depth. The clearly upgraded from the absolute train wreck of a QB situation in Geno/Vick. They added two of the absolute best DBs in all of the NFL, and 2 guys who were familiar with the Jets roster as they spent big parts of their careers their. They added the best defensive player in the draft to an already dangerous DL...etc etc.

This is not in any way the same team, and to compare them this year to last year is so absurd that I swear there should be bans every time someone does so. Thats like comparing this years Niners team to last years and saying its all because Harbaugh left when in fact their roster is completely different and they lost all their playmakers on both sids of the ball.

You want to hate Rex...no problem. But find an intelligent way to do it rather than comparing a team that is light years different then the one he was forced to coach last year as if the only reason they are better is because he's gone.

BREAKING NEWS: The Rex that you claim is all the problem here and all the reason for success there...BEAT those same Jets.

OH, by the way comparing how the Jets got Marshall and how the Bills got Sammy is pointless. Its EXTREMELY RARE that an Elite #1 WR ever comes available via trade and for a mid round pick. What do you expect the Bills to do, never draft a WR on the RARE hopes a team decides to trade away a top #1 guy for a 5th round pick???? I mean come on dude, have some common sense. We needed a playmaker and we went and got one that was attainable, case closed. And Sammy has proven to be the talent he was thought to be. Its not his fault he had an untimely injury and that he has played his career with either sub par QB (Orton/EJ) or with a QB that heads a run first offense (Taylor and our O this year). I promise you Marshalls numbers would not be nearly as good here as in NY where they have been throwing a lot.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Understandable...and to be clear, I am not saying Rex is the end all be all. I am saying that I still feel he's the best coach we have had in years (admittedly isn't saying much as we have had dud after dud) IMO, and that I don't think he's had a fair chance to show if he's the right guy long term given the challenges this team has faced. For perspective...

If the refs don't steal 2 different TD's from the Bills against the Giants, or if Hughes doesnt miss that easy tackle, we win that game and we are 7-6. If Taylor doesn't miss 2 games, we most likely win those games as we almost won them with EJ struggling. All of a sudden, those 2 factors alone make us a 9-4 team. How much "Fire Rex" talk would there be if we were sitting at 9-4 right now and firmly leading the wild card chase? I mean, thats how impactful just those 2 things have been. That doesn't even come close to accounting for the myriad of bad calls this team has had swing games against them this year, the loss of our WR playmakers, the fact Taylor has also played hurt in the games he did play, the fact we lost our whole right side of our OL, that all of our RBs have been hurt, Clay has been hurt, our safeties have been hurt, starting DBs been hurt, almost all our LBs have been hurt, etc etc.

So, to ignore that and blame Rex for it all is just not something that makes sense. My biggest gripe about Rex has simply been the penalties. Part of the problem is the some of the players on the field like Hughes are just stupid and I don't know if you can fix stupid as a coach. Mulligan, another guy who shouldn't be on the field and kept making dumb penalties. Back up OL players too...but again, how much of that is Rexs fault when many of those players are backups and are only in because starters are hurt? How much of it is Rex and how much of it is Hughes being mentally weak (he's always made bone head penalties)?

So, Rex gets the benefit of the doubt for me for another year because of what has transpired. I am very disappointed in Thurman though, and I suspect we are going to see a change there and in ST.

Firing Thurman will be like firing Curt Modkins.

There might be an argument there....if not for this year.

Our team has a solid foundation of players and Rex seemed to have devalued a ton of them. Specifically on defense.

It's always great to have scheme diverse talent that you can plug into any system and have them play at a high level. Rex may have overestimated some of his players ability to adapt to his system given its complexities and differences from what they did under Schwartz. You would think that there would be some level of familiarity given their exposure to Pettine just two seasons ago. Whatever the case, there will certainly be changes to accommodate the style that Rex wants to play.

I think these poll results are proof positive how disappointing Rex's tenure has been over a real short time...It's kinda been a mess...To think that a fairly popular HC, who was hired less than a year ago, has already angered the fan base enough for over 50% in this poll to call for his head...To me that's really telling...It's been a fast fall for Ryan...

And I doubt many Bills fans have a ton of faith in him going forward... B-)

Interesting article. The fact that ESPN is raising the question proves that this discussion is timely, and pertinent.

People outside of Buffalo realize that Rex is imploding, and yet we are likely stuck with him. Surprised that ESPN thinks Whaley May be more at risk.

Whaley didn't get a contract extension last off-season, what has he done since then?

Whaley didn't get a contract extension last off-season, what has he done since then?

Draft Darby, Draft Karlos, Sign Clay, Sign Rambo, Sign Baccari, etc etc...hes done a lot, Whaley is NOT our problem. He's had good drafts, 2 in a row, found bargain deals on quality players in FA, retained our own we wanted to keep, and acquired the TE we have always needed. Whaley has made good moves via trade, FA, and the draft. He's had a lot more hits than misses too. He's one of the better young GMs in the league...period. Its not Whaleys fault our team has been ravaged by injuries, or that refs screwed us multiple times, or that players are making mental mistakes on the field. The guy has added a lot of talent to this roster and there is no disputing that.