Neil Peart calls it quits.

Beef Jerky

I don't like the modern tight drum sounds at all. I like rumbling drums

. Ginger Baker's phrasing is so great, melodic and varied (unlike Peart's which is almost always mechanical, and symmetrical.... "big 4 measure fill, ends with a single crash, followed by same big 4 measure fill, ends with 2 crashes, followed by same big 4 measure fill, ends with 3 crashes, followed by...." guess what's coming next?)

Edited by HoF Watkins

Geddy Lee says today that Neil's quote was taken out of context and that Neil has not 100% retired.

Much to the chagrin of our Rush hating friends, it appears that you are right. Geddy (I know...he ain't all that as a bassist either) explains that Peart's comments were more about being retired from extended touring.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/rush-peart-retire-geddy-lee-1.3355864

I don't like the modern tight drum sounds at all. I like rumbling drums

. Ginger Baker's phrasing is so great, melodic and varied (unlike Peart's which is almost always mechanical, and symmetrical.... "big 4 measure fill, ends with a single crash, followed by same big 4 measure fill, ends with 2 crashes, followed by same big 4 measure fill, ends with 3 crashes, followed by...." guess what's coming next?)

So what are you saying? Pert is like the Nickleback of drumming?

:lol:

Your argument is that Peart isn't a swing or big band drummer, therefore he sucks.

Good argument. Did you know Peyton Manning sucks because he's not a defensive end?

As responses to his post go, it'd probably be fair for him to call you an idiot for this one. Edited by NoSaint

I've ruminated over this for days(believe it or not) And I have to say that the Ginger Baker solo is nice. But I think we're talking about song by song drumming. Baker is a great drummer,but not the best ever

I respect chef Jim as a poaster, but I've been around a lot of drummers (and I LIVE in prog rock), and no one considers this to be "easy.".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MavlwR1z6hE

Edited by Philly McButterpants

I've ruminated over this for days(believe it or not) And I have to say that the Ginger Baker solo is nice. But I think we're talking about song by song drumming. Baker is a great drummer,but not the best ever

I respect chef Jim as a poaster, but I've been around a lot of drummers (and I LIVE in prog rock), and no one considers this to be "easy.".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MavlwR1z6hE

Let me clarify. Never said what he played was easy but it's also not hard and the song you linked is a perfect example. He's not a simple in the pocket drummer but he's not far outside the pocket.

Let me clarify. Never said what he played was easy but it's also not hard and the song you linked is a perfect example. He's not a simple in the pocket drummer but he's not far outside the pocket.

I have heard guys play super technical drum parts, but who can turn around and play a simple part with a ton of groove. Guys that can play the "silences" too.

Neil Peart is all technique. He could never play something like "Beast of Burden" by the Stones, because he can't find the groove. he can't push and pull, instead only hit machine-like, right on the beat. There are plenty of guys that can do both. Peart is just "more is better", cramming as many hits in as possible, and doing it with his @55 tightly clenched.

I never claimed Ginger Baker was "the Best", but he is damn good technically, plays great grooves, and plays melodically.

Peart tries to make a science out of magic.

Edited by HoF Watkins

• 4 weeks later...

It's so refreshing to have a different Rush hating douche besides Dean and Wawrow in these threads.

one: i don't hate rush. i just think they're over-rated. i saw them perform numerous times in the late 1970s, including front-row seats at either the Joe or Cobo Hall in Detroit (can't remember which).

two: the reasons i moved away from liking rush was discovering bands such as The Clash, Cheap Trick, the Pretenders (first two albums), Tom Waits (Rain Dogs), the Jam and eventually the replacements, among others, and determining that i'd prefer my rock and roll to feature more of a snarl than something involving red barchettas.

three: heck, of songs about red cars, rush's pales dreadfully in comparison to Prince's Little Red Corvette.

jw

one: i don't hate rush. i just think they're over-rated. i saw them perform numerous times in the late 1970s, including front-row seats at either the Joe or Cobo Hall in Detroit (can't remember which).

two: the reasons i moved away from liking rush was discovering bands such as The Clash, Cheap Trick, the Pretenders (first two albums), Tom Waits (Rain Dogs), the Jam and eventually the replacements, among others, and determining that i'd prefer my rock and roll to feature more of a snarl than something involving red barchettas.

three: heck, of songs about red cars, rush's pales dreadfully in comparison to Prince's Little Red Corvette.

jw

If you want snarl, try the last 3 or 4 albums, John. Starting with Counterparts, Vapor Trails (only the Remixed version - the original is pretty much unlistenable now), Snakes and Arrows, Clockwork Angels... They definitely got back to their power trio roots and away from all the synth stuff of the mid-80s to mid-90s.

Headlong Flight:

Far Cry:

One Little Victory:

Stick It Out:

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ