Neil Peart calls it quits.

Beef Jerky

Good. He was "The Stiffest Drummer in the World".

The guy couldn't swing his way out of a paper bag. His influence on drummers was a bad one.

Yeah.

And that Jimmy Hendrix character. How dare he taint the music world with his left-handedness?

Good. He was "The Stiffest Drummer in the World".

The guy couldn't swing his way out of a paper bag. His influence on drummers was a bad one.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/rush-drum-legend-neil-peart-on-the-pursuit-of-excellence-604582

Neil's mastery of his trade has made him the toast of his peers in the rock community. His career is littered with classic performances and brilliantly crafted drum parts that are vital to Rush's musical identity. Yet despite his success, Neil remains a student of his art, reinventing his playing virtually from scratch in the 90s with drum guru Freddie Gruber and recently undertaking another course of study with Peter Erskine. The continuing evolution of Neil's abilities speaks to the truth of the maxim that success is not an act, but a habit. The pursuit of excellence is a journey, not a destination.

"I met Freddie around that same time of the recording of the Buddy Rich tribute. We became lifelong friends and started working together to loosen up my playing. That's what his coaching was all about - it was all physical, not musical. He's not the kind of teacher who teaches you how to play the drums, he teaches you how to dance on the drums.

Yep, he finally realized he was stiff. Why else would he seek the mentor?

It's true that after the mentoring, his playing was better, but his reputation was built on his tightassed playing. I mean, that's the stuff you guys love, right?

"YYZ"..."Bytor and the Snow Frog"...

Hendrix has nothing to do with Peart. In fact I would consider Hendrix's approach (imagination/feel>technique) to be the opposite of Peart's technocratic approach.

Same with Dylan, he couldn't be further from Peart in approach.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Yep, he finally realized he was stiff. Why else would he seek the mentor?

It's true that after the mentoring, his playing was better, but his reputation was built on his tightassed playing. I mean, that's the stuff you guys love, right?

"YYZ"..."Bytor and the Snow Frog"...

Hendrix has nothing to do with Peart. In fact I would consider Hendrix's approach (imagination/feel>technique) to be the opposite of Peart's technocratic approach.

Same with Dylan, he couldn't be further from Peart in approach.

It's so refreshing to have a different Rush hating douche besides Dean and Wawrow in these threads.

You need to resort to name-calling, because I poked a hole in your argument.

Your argument is that Peart isn't a swing or big band drummer, therefore he sucks.

Good argument. Did you know Peyton Manning sucks because he's not a defensive end?

You need to resort to name-calling, because I poked a hole in your argument.

You poked a hole in my argument? How so? You made a broad (and douchey) comment that the article I linked to proved wrong.

Can I jump in? I knew Pert was not a drumming God when I realized his drumming was some of the easiest for me to play.

Uh huh.

Your argument is that Peart isn't a swing or big band drummer, therefore he sucks.

Good argument. Did you know Peyton Manning sucks because he's not a defensive end?

Nope. The term "swing" is also used to describe a drummer's ability to groove. Really, that needs to be explained?

And Peart admitted as much..."We became lifelong friends and started working together to loosen up my playing".

A little late, what 35 years into his career? All the "classic" Rush albums have the stiff guy playing on them.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Uh huh.

Does that mean you don't believe me? Well it may not be the easiest for me to play that would be the ABB only because I've listened to them a hell of a lot more but Rush is not as much of a challenge to play as most of the other music I listen to and try to play along with..

You poked a hole in my argument? How so? You made a broad (and douchey) comment that the article I linked to proved wrong.

Uh huh.

What about the article proved me "wrong"? The article makes it clear that Peart felt his playing was too stiff. That was my exact claim, and Neil agreed.

Nope. The term "swing" is also used to describe a drummer's ability to groove. Really, that needs to be explained?

And Peart admitted as much..."We became lifelong friends and started working together to loosen up my playing".

A little late, what 35 years into his career? All the "classic" Rush albums have the stiff guy playing on them.

Oh, so you're judging as "sucks" him on a single quality of his mechanics.

Yeah, that makes you look like much less of an idiot.

What about the article proved me "wrong"? The article makes it clear that Peart felt his playing was too stiff. That was my exact claim, and Neil agreed.

Your comment implied it was his entire body of work, he reinvented his style over 20 years ago.

Still this is always fun for you guys to drop in on these Rush threads. Music is subjective and if Rush/Peart isn't your cup of tea I've got no issue with that. The guy is universally regarded as one of, if not the best rock drummer of all time. Sorry if I take the opinion of his professional peers over guys who lament how his playing wouldn't work with a jam band.

Oh, so you're judging as "sucks" him on a single quality of his mechanics.

Yeah, that makes you look like much less of an idiot.

My opinion is he is solid in his mechanics. One of the best rudimentary drummers out there but undeserving of the God status many have put upon him.

My opinion is he is solid in his mechanics. One of the best rudimentary drummers out there but undeserving of the God status many have put upon him.

Yeah, he has his paradiddles down.

I think people that struggle with the creative/imaginative aspects of art, cling to technique because it is tangible, measurable. It can be practiced. Peart was obsessive about it, and the fact that he went to a mentor to loosen up his playing, is kind of comical to me.

Edited by HoF Watkins