NFL should be 2 divisions per conference

Each team plays every team in the conference once and 1 team in the other conference. The 1 game vs the other conference is determined by where each team finished the previous season. 1st place plays 1st place, ect...

I'm tired of seeing 8-8 division winners make the playoffs. Why can't the NFL fix this? Seems simple enough.

This year is trending toward another 8 win or worse team winning a division title. That would be 6 out of 10 years. A couple 9 win division winners mixed in as well.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Each team plays every team in the conference once and 1 team in the other conference. The 1 game vs the other conference is determined by where each team finished the previous season. 1st place plays 1st place, ect...

I'm tired of seeing 8-8 division winners make the playoffs. Why can't the NFL fix this? Seems simple enough.

This year is trending toward another 8 win or worse team winning a division title. That would be 6 out of 10 years. A couple 9 win division winners mixed in as well.

no way they go with that...could be twenty years between games for some teams...theoretically one team might NEVER face a team from the other conference

no way they go with that...could be twenty years between games for some teams...theoretically one team might NEVER face a team from the other conference

I agree with Plenz. A weak division is a weak division, it's been happening for years.

I would much rather the geography get straightened out first. This is one of the bettter ones I have seen:

AFC North: Bills, Giants, Jets, Patriots

AFC South: Buccaneers, Dolphins, Jaguars, Falcons

AFC East: Bengals, Browns, Colts, Steelers

AFC West: 49ers, Chargers, Raiders, Seahawks

NFC North: Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings

NFC South: Cardinals, Cowboys, Saints, Texans

NFC East: Eagles, Ravens, Redskins, Panthers

NFC West: Broncos, Chiefs, Rams, Titans

Stolen from: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1xbxj5/completely_geographically_based_divisional/

Yeah I kind of agree, variety is the best way.

Honestly I'd rather them just get rid of divisions and have two conferences. Twelve games vs AFC and Four vs NFC. Eight of the AFC games are rotational, four are based off standing, and Four NFC games are rotational so you play every team once every four years.

Stack rank all sixteen AFC teams for playoffs, top 6 get in, top two get byes. Can easily be expanded to eight so nfl makes more money and half the league gets in when the time comes.

Honestly I'd rather them just get rid of divisions and have two conferences. Twelve games vs AFC and Four vs NFC. Eight of the AFC games are rotational, four are based off standing, and Four NFC games are rotational so you play every team once every four years.

Stack rank all sixteen AFC teams for playoffs, top 6 get in, top two get byes. Can easily be expanded to eight so nfl makes more money and half the league gets in when the time comes.

That's perfect. I don't care who they play, but 4 divisions per conference is not working.

If the Bills were 8-8 division winners, you wouldn't want them in the playoffs?

This would be a sweet setup.

They had the best format in the '80s and couldn't leave well enough alone. 3 divisions with all 3 winners getting a bye and 2 WC playing each other.

5 out of 16 reaching the playoffs is plenty. And no one is winning a 5 team division with an 8-8 record.

They had the best format in the '80s and couldn't leave well enough alone. 3 divisions with all 3 winners getting a bye and 2 WC playing each other.

5 out of 16 reaching the playoffs is plenty. And no one is winning a 5 team division with an 8-8 record.

That would be better, 3 seems to be the max.

If the Bills were 8-8 division winners, you wouldn't want them in the playoffs?

I dont want any 8-8 team in the playoffs if a team with a better record doesnt get in. I want the top 12 records in every year.

I agree with Plenz. A weak division is a weak division, it's been happening for years.

I would much rather the geography get straightened out first. This is one of the bettter ones I have seen:

Stolen from: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1xbxj5/completely_geographically_based_divisional/

The list keeps most AFC w/ AFC and NFC w/ NFC except for the West

NFC West: Broncos, Chiefs, Rams, Titans make this AFC

AFC West: 49ers, Chargers, Raiders, Seahawks make this NFC

Two divisions in each conference. You play each division rival once, and four teams from the other division and four from the other conference, both on a rotating basis.

Top two from each division make it into the playoffs, along with two at large bids per conference.

That would be better, 3 seems to be the max.

I dont want any 8-8 team in the playoffs if a team with a better record doesnt get in. I want the top 12 records in every year.

I don't believe your telling "thetruth" there...

Anywa, you assume a 9-7 team is always the better team when compared to an 8-8 team? Why would you assume that?

AFC East: Ravens, Jets, Patriots, Steelers

AFC South: Texans, Dolphins, Jaguars, Titans

AFC North: Bengals, Browns, Colts, Bills

AFC West: Broncos, Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs

NFC South: Cowboys, Saints, Falcons, Buccaneers

NFC East: Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Panthers

NFC West: , 49ers, Seahawks, Rams, Cardinals

Here is how I would line them up.

I agree the 4 team divisions and MAINLY the playing of some teams twice needs to stop.

I strongly dislike the "playing every team in the conference" idea. I would much prefer they split up the remaining division into 3 groups of 5 and you play 2 of the groups every year and 1 NFC group,

What is wrong with 8-8 Division Champion?

If the Packers, Patriots, Seahawks, and Bengals were in same division the winner would probably be 9-7 because they have to play each other twice.

I for one love the current division setup and schedule rotation.

AFC East: Ravens, Jets, Patriots, Steelers

AFC South: Texans, Dolphins, Jaguars, Titans

AFC North: Bengals, Browns, Colts, Bills

AFC West: Broncos, Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs

NFC South: Cowboys, Saints, Falcons, Buccaneers

NFC East: Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Panthers

NFC West: , 49ers, Seahawks, Rams, Cardinals

Here is how I would line them up.

I just did this exercise without really looking at yours and I came up with the exact same alignment.

don't like it.

besides, soon there will be a 17 game schedule , spread out over 19 weeks ( 2 bye weeks per team) and only 2 pre season games. with 7 or 8 teams from each conference making the playoffs.

Ive been saying this for a few years now, having 4 divisions of 4 teams in each conference guaranteeing those 4 division winners not only a playoff spot but home playoff games is the real problem with the playoff format and not the number of teams that make it. Two divisions of 8 teams in each confernce with or without sub divisions for scheduling would fix most if not all of the problems with existing playoff format. This would all but eliminate the chance of division winners getting in the playoffs with worse records than non division winners that didnt get the wild card.

They could also enforce something similar to college where a div winner needs x number of wins to become playoff eligible or something like that. Either way the existing format is severely flawed and penalizes teams for playing in a good division and rewards teams that do not.

I thought the AFC South was bad then i looked at the NFC East last night and cant believe one of those teams will not only be in the playoffs but will host a team that most likely will have a better record then they do.

Edited by Max997