Trump Alone at the Top

But the reasoning for not holding the vote WAS because Obama was in his last term...whether you agree with that or not. IT was even supported by Obama when he was a Senator.

Alternately, the OTHER precedent was Rs hearing and approving the Wise Latina, which is why...to answer your original question...the Ds WOULD hold a hearing on any R president's recommendation.

I understand the point you were trying to make. You were just not making it very well.

I don't care if my mom supported the "last term of presidency reasoning," it's crap reasoning. Constitution says advise and consent. Do your job. Don't punt it.

But Tom is eminently consistent like the poster here who says we're all entitled to handheld nukes: No need for Congress to ever act on any nominee according to his rationale. Congress's procedure can be to hold a hearing on pres SC nominations every 999 years if it wants to.

I don't care if my mom supported the "last term of presidency reasoning," it's crap reasoning. Constitution says advise and consent. Do your job. Don't punt it.

But Tom is eminently consistent like the poster here who says we're all entitled to handheld nukes: No need for Congress to ever act on any nominee according to his rationale. Congress's procedure can be to hold a hearing on pres SC nominations every 999 years if it wants to.

I'm eminently consistent, because that's how the confirmation process works.

The Senate IS currently "advising and consenting." They received the nomination, which is the point at which "advise and consent" starts. There is absolutely no requirement, in the Constitution, in law, or in the CFR that requires "advise and consent" to be anything other than acknowledge the reception of the nomination.

And in fact, that's by design: the Constitution is written so that Congress has sole responsibility for determining its procedures. The Senate determines what "advise and consent" means, and writes in in to Senate procedures at the start of each session of Congress (though usually the lazy bastards just affirm the ones from the last session unchanged.) So if the Senate says "receive the nomination, acknowledge it, and let it sit" satisfies "advise and consent," then it does.

Don't like it? Then either petition your senators to change the Senate rules (which will not happen, btw), or lobby for a constitutional amendment requiring that "advise and consent" be completed within 45-60 days or something, and if not completed the nomination becomes a de facto recess appointment lasting until the next session of Congress.

Trump isn't going to win and seems to have no interest in even putting forth a competitive campaign now that he's successfully cleared the field for the Queen.

I have no idea what a Trump presidency would look like because while I write fiction I can't even begin fathom something so unlikely as Trump sitting in the Oval. So, in that sense, you might be right that's what he'd ultimately would want... Then again, presidents don't run the country on their own. James Baker said it best about HRC (paraphrased), when she gets to office she'll do what she's told just like everyone else who holds the position.

Odds are it would look not much different from any other presidency. Elected and appointed officials come and go, but It's the civil servants that really run things.

Edited by DC Tom

Actually, Tom is right and you appear to be looking for something about which to complain. The constitution does not demand that the Congress advice and consent, but rather that the President's nominations REQUIRE Congress' advice and consent in order to be appointed. So if Trump becomes president, which -- let's be honest -- will never happen, he can recommend all the justices he wants, but if the Congress chooses to avoid advice and consent protocol, then that's that...at least until all the lobbying and yelling and complaining starts.

Hey, a shout out!

CnSvklPWAAATGwi.jpg

lol

So there's this MMO which IIRC you've played called Star Wars The Old Republic (SWTOR).

For those who haven't played SWTOR it's a copy cat of World of Warcraft but set in a Star Wars environment. You can play as a Jedi, Sith, Smuggler, Trooper, etc.

Once you reach a certain point as a Jedi you are granted the title of Master.

One of the toons that I created was a Jedi named Bader. So for awhile there I was running around the Galaxy as Master Bader

Then somebody reported me for having an offensive name. :rolleyes:

So there's this MMO which IIRC you've played called Star Wars The Old Republic (SWTOR).

For those who haven't played SWTOR it's a copy cat of World of Warcraft but set in a Star Wars environment. You can play as a Jedi, Sith, Smuggler, Trooper, etc.

Once you reach a certain point as a Jedi you are granted the title of Master.

One of the toons that I created was a Jedi named Bader. So for awhile there I was running around the Galaxy as Master Bader

Then somebody reported me for having an offensive name. :rolleyes:

NERD.

trump_pence_2016_bumper_sticker-rdf64adc....It's official.........I guess............Press conference Saturday

The rollout is getting destroyed in the social media world. Scroll through this Twitter account to see all the basic Marketing 101 things the Trump camp didn't do before the announcement.

They did not:

• Update Trump's website with the news
  • Update Pence's website with the news
  • Buy Google search ads for
  • Secure top domains
  • Update Pence's political home page
  • Put out press release about Pence's accomplishments
  • Put out anything on Instagram
  • Tag Pence in the tweet announcing Pence as VP

I'm genuinely convinced Trump has no desire to win. He just likes the audition attention.

The rollout is getting destroyed in the social media world. Scroll through this Twitter account to see all the basic Marketing 101 things the Trump camp didn't do before the announcement.

They did not:

• Secure top domains

I'm genuinely convinced Trump has no desire to win. He just likes the audition attention.

100%. Pence opens him up to a whole slew of attacks now he otherwise would have been immune from and will alienate a good chunk of independents who are looking for anyone but HRC. I guess he shores up some of the religious base but not enough to make a difference in this election.

Pence has a real spotty record in a lot of SJW areas -- that's just going to make things uglier come the fall.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

They did not:

• Secure top domains

Did you see that picture of a covered child’s body with a doll next to it?
Ever think that there might have been a good reason why he didn’t make his VP pick tweet this morning with all the “cool” social media, marketing 101 bells and whistles?
Edited by 1billsfan

They did not:

• Secure top domains

:lol:

I don't think anybody knows what the hell is going through Trump's head. I wouldn't have been surprised if he picked Bill Cosby as his running mate.

I think it's pretty obvious what's going through Trump's head at any given moment. The problem is that whatever it is, it doesn't stay there for any length of time.

Ever think that there might have been a good reason why he didn’t make his VP pick tweet this morning with all the “cool” social media, marketing 101 bells and whistles?

You're kidding me, right? Do you honestly believe that list is a bunch of cool little extras would have been nice if he had the time?

These aren't "bells and whistles." These comprise the very basic foundation for any major 'product' announcement...all of which should have been done LONG BEFORE the announcement and LONG BEFORE a terrorist murdered people in France.

Do you introduce a new product without providing the consumer a list of your product's features and benefits (before your competition does)? Or without the ability to drive product searches TO your message about YOUR product? Do you not have your product packaging prepared? Do you not inform your sales team (in this case, the surrogates) how to sell your product to a massive marketplace that probably never HEARD of your product?

And one last point: do you really think it was a good idea to announce on Thursday night that you're going to postpone your Friday VP announcement, and then wake up on Friday and put out your VP announcement anyway?

You Trumpkins really FUBAR'ed this election with your naivete'.

And yet, he made the announcement today, anyway. Why?

And what do the basic functions that should have been in place in firming up the announcement have to do with the Nice massacre?

Unfortunately, the job he's applying for requires parallel thinking and processing and sometimes you cannot postpone events that are interdependent with other actions

This is just another case that proves that Trump is ill prepared for a job that requires executive control and oversight.

It's clear that Trump cannot coordinate his campaign in a coherent fashion. In addition to the mistakes that LA outlined above, Trump announced that he's postponing the VP pick, without recognizing that Pence had a pressing deadline in Indiana today. Clearly somebody pointed out to him that if he delayed the announcement, the news would still hit because people would figure out if Pence didn't declare for the Indiana governorship.

You are ready to cast a ballot for another thin skinned amateur.

Congratulations.

Edited by GG

And yet, he made the announcement today, anyway. Why?

And what do the basic functions that should have been in place in firming up the announcement have to do with the Nice massacre?

Unfortunately, the job he's applying for requires parallel thinking and processing and sometimes you cannot postpone events that are interdependent with other actions

This is just another case that proves that Trump is ill prepared for a job that requires executive control and oversight.

It's clear that Trump cannot coordinate his campaign in a coherent fashion. In addition to the mistakes that LA outlined above, Trump announced that he's postponing the VP pick, without recognizing that Pence had a pressing deadline in Indiana today. Clearly somebody pointed out to him that if he delayed the announcement, the news would still hit because people would figure out if Pence didn't declare for the Indiana governorship.

You are ready to cast a ballot for another thin skinned amateur.

Congratulations.

Trump simply stated that he was postponing the announcement and then made a simple tweet this morning because Pence had a deadline. Seems like he took the most thoughtful and respectful route of announcing it.