This season 100% comes down to coaching, nothing more

Virgil

But let's blame the coach.

Please note: I'm not saying Rex had a good game. I'm not saying he doesn't share the blame. But you guys are !@#$ing insane if you don't think players not executing wasn't a HUGE factor in us losing.

Do the Pats execute because they have a better roster or because of how they coach and the leaders on the team? I think coaching absolutely affects execution.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this was part of why Marrone left...and i was saying this way before we even hired Rex. We were 9-7 last year with three wins we had no business winning , , and one L that could have a W. Net net, team was more like a 6-9 team last year than a 8-7 team. Marrone wanted out while he had the reputation of winning with the freaking Bills...IOW, performed a miracle.

That being said, i didthink the team was more talented this year, and i do believe Rex is an awful game day coach...and have said that from the day he was hired. Still thought the Bills would win yesterday...and now i got no bankroll left as i put it all on the moneyline. :doh::wallbash::bag:

Year after year the thing that costs the team more games than anything else is...

their inability to make adjustments in-game, quarter to quarter, halftime, after timeouts, whenever... you get the point.

Chiefs adjusted after their third straight 3 and out and Rex never changed until the game was over. Reid is smarter than Rex as is most of this league.

So you picked the team with the GOAT QB to make your point that coaching is tantamount to execution?

I pick a team that finds ways to make their rookie OLine look decent. WR's and DB's always be in position to make a great catch. Yes, Brady makes a big difference, but you can't say that it's all him.

The coaching and the leadership have been a big disappointment. I agree that the failure of this year is almost all on Ryan and his staff. Their hubris has killed this season.

Another poster on the board (in another thread) summed it up - he never saw a coaching staff go out of their way to game plan away from the team's strengths. The coaching staff has made the critical error of believing their own press.

We have perhaps the best front four in all of football. Let's not blitz. Not elaborate enough!

We have this fantastic wide receiver. Let's not throw to him. Way too simple.

We have this fantastic fullback. Let's only use him sparingly in the run game. Fullbacks? That's not trendy.

I have to keep saying it. We stomped the Jets last year. REX coached horrible in those two games. Never had any confidence in his hire. Many of you wanted to believe a bad coach who switches teams can miraculously become a good coach. NO a bad coach stays a bad coach.

I pick a team that finds ways to make their rookie OLine look decent. WR's and DB's always be in position to make a great catch. Yes, Brady makes a big difference, but you can't say that it's all him.

You also can't ignore him for the sake of argument. Which is what you're doing.

Want to talk about execution? How bout two safeties needlessly jumping a dig route and letting Kelce go one on one right up the middle:

http://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/671356314040299520

Gee, if only somebody on this board had identified, 8 weeks ago, that safety play was killing this defense...consistently.

I 100% disagree.

This was a poorly assembled roster by Whaley who blew assets and grossly overpaid for skill positions yet negleted the o-line and QB. He also negleted adding quality depth to an aging and declining defense. This really is an 8-8/9-7 roster.

This team has enough talent to be a playoff team. They are losing due to poor coaching. On both sides of the ball, the play calling is what is getting them beat. That and undisciplined play that leads to penalties. All of these things fall squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. If you want to blame Whaley for something, blame him for hiring Rex Ryan.

You also can't ignore him for the sake of argument. Which is what you're doing.

Want to talk about execution? How bout two safeties needlessly jumping a dig route and letting Kelce go one on one right up the middle:

http://twitter.com/YardsPerPass/status/671356314040299520

Gee, if only somebody on this board had identified, 8 weeks ago, that safety play was killing this defense...consistently.

They are the easiest to pick. But I could also look at the Panthers right now too. Honestly, that roster is not locked and loaded and look at what they've done.

As for the safety thing, I believe that only re-enforces my point. If there is an issue that large and has been going on for weeks, isn't the the coaches job to fix that or replace them? A player should be able to make a mistake once, maybe twice before the coach makes the decision to replace them or replace the expectation.

The coaching and the leadership have been a big disappointment. I agree that the failure of this year is almost all on Ryan and his staff. Their hubris has killed this season.

Another poster on the board (in another thread) summed it up - he never saw a coaching staff go out of their way to game plan away from the team's strengths. The coaching staff has made the critical error of believing their own press.

We have perhaps the best front four in all of football. Let's not blitz. Not elaborate enough!

We have this fantastic wide receiver. Let's not throw to him. Way too simple.

We have this fantastic fullback. Let's only use him sparingly in the run game. Fullbacks? That's not trendy.

This. I 100% agree. Good coaches assess the talent on their roster and put players in a position to succeed. This coaching staff is trying to make players on both sides of the ball play a style of ball that doesn't suit their abilities. Absolutely on the coaching staff.

They are the easiest to pick. But I could also look at the Panthers right now too. Honestly, that roster is not locked and loaded and look at what they've done.

As for the safety thing, I believe that only re-enforces my point. If there is an issue that large and has been going on for weeks, isn't the the coaches job to fix that or replace them? A player should be able to make a mistake once, maybe twice before the coach makes the decision to replace them or replace the expectation.

Panthers? So now you're going with the team who drafted their franchise QB with the first overall pick? A guy who's been in the conversation for the past month for MVP?

On what planet is their roster weak?

Also, their coach has been there since 2010. He's built the team to his liking because ownership/management had the patience to let him get his guys in place.

You know, something that hasn't happened in Buffalo for two !@#$ing decades.

Let's just keep firing coaches and GM's that's worked for precisely zero teams ever.

And what's your plan to replace our safeties mid season?

This defense has suffered terribly without Aaron Williams. I have been shouting this for 9 weeks.

With who? This was one area we went into the season a bit thin on if injuries became a problem...which, they did.

Panthers? So now you're going with the team who drafted their franchise QB with the first overall pick? A guy who's been in the conversation for the past month for MVP?

On what planet is their roster weak?

Also, their coach has been there since 2010. He's built the team to his liking because ownership/management had the patience to let him get his guys in place.

You know, something that hasn't happened in Buffalo for two !@#$ing decades.

Let's just keep firing coaches and GM's that's worked for precisely zero teams ever.

And what's your plan to replace our safeties mid season?

This defense has suffered terribly without Aaron Williams. I have been shouting this for 9 weeks.

Okay, clearly you want to go deep with this, but being at work, I can't really look things up.

Let's just look at penalties and 3&Outs. We lead the league in both. How many first downs, TD's, and Punts have we either given up for failed to execute because of them? What about the gameplans that we've seen? The first matchup against the Pats? The way the Chiefs put up 30 on us, scoring in a matter of minutes?

Like I said originally, it would be different if we didn't see how this team played on defense with roughly the same roster. It would be different if we didn't add the offensive weapons we did. Yet still, with all of that, we are probably going to end with a worse record than last year?

As for Aaron, yes it hurts. But there is just no way that he is killing us THAT much. All teams have injuries and he has been out long enough where the coaches need to plan a way around it. Also, Aaron isn't the reason we don't pass rush. He's not the only guy responsible for covering Gronk. And Aaron wasn't exactly a world beater safety. We didn't lose Eric Berry.

How about this. Do you think that if Pete Carroll, Coughlin, Reid, Tomlin, or McCarthy were coaching this team without Aaron Williams, we wouldn't be a better team. Or do you think that if Aaron Williams was healthy all year, we'd really have more wins? I will give you the blown coverage on Amendola last week back. We still don't win after that.

Okay, clearly you want to go deep with this, but being at work, I can't really look things up.

Let's just look at penalties and 3&Outs. We lead the league in both. How many first downs, TD's, and Punts have we either given up for failed to execute because of them? What about the gameplans that we've seen? The first matchup against the Pats? The way the Chiefs put up 30 on us, scoring in a matter of minutes?

Like I said originally, it would be different if we didn't see how this team played on defense with roughly the same roster. It would be different if we didn't add the offensive weapons we did. Yet still, with all of that, we are probably going to end with a worse record than last year?

As for Aaron, yes it hurts. But there is just no way that he is killing us THAT much. All teams have injuries and he has been out long enough where the coaches need to plan a way around it. Also, Aaron isn't the reason we don't pass rush. He's not the only guy responsible for covering Gronk. And Aaron wasn't exactly a world beater safety. We didn't lose Eric Berry.

How about this. Do you think that if Pete Carroll, Coughlin, Reid, Tomlin, or McCarthy were coaching this team without Aaron Williams, we wouldn't be a better team. Or do you think that if Aaron Williams was healthy all year, we'd really have more wins? I will give you the blown coverage on Amendola last week back. We still don't win after that.

Aaron Williams being out is one thing. The woeful replacements behind him: THAT'S why we're struggling. He was a solid player. His reserves are downright liabilities.

Duke Williams has played himself right the !@#$ off this roster. Corey Graham is not good enough to account for the deficiencies opposite him. And Rambo is entirely too up and and down. These are facts.

Again, I'm not saying Rex has been perfect. Far from it.

But this notion that he's problem numero uno? Absolutely not.

DId Mario really gain 50 pounds? How do you know this?

Yes he gained fifty pounds since the off season. He started off at 295lbs did a camp holdout for his foot. Did not get first teams rep and stunted his own learning curve in the defense. He is a team Captain and has been a massive disappointment.

Edited by Joeziehmer

This team has enough talent to be a playoff team. They are losing due to poor coaching. On both sides of the ball, the play calling is what is getting them beat. That and undisciplined play that leads to penalties. All of these things fall squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff. If you want to blame Whaley for something, blame him for hiring Rex Ryan.

I agree with this minus the blaming Whaley for hiring Ryan, that was the Pegula's, Brandon and Whaley in a collective effort.

That decision was an ownership and management decision.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/How-the-Bills-decided-on-Rex-Ryan-as-head-coach/19b740de-0ca3-4dd6-8fdc-58c0cf013fa2