How bad is Bills coaching???

Dragonborn10

They aren't well-rehearsed.

It's like they practice plays, but don't practice situations. They're a band that practices songs, but never work on stringing them together into a seamless set.

There isn't a "2-Minute Offense" as far as I can tell, and it feels like after almost every play, it's "regroup" time. They can't seem to even spike the ball to kill the clock without instructions from Roman.

It's killing them in close games.

It's coaching.

I totally agree and that sounds about right. I can't understand why there should be confusion about spiking the ball with no timeouts and not hurrying into the next play. You know how this game works. What is the confusion?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see people complaining about the defense, or McKelvin, or the refs....none of that really mattered though, because in the end, they had the ball with 2-minutes left on the clock, but couldn't get anything going. If you were told the Bills would have that situation going into this game, most would have been pretty happy.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Ball control offense doesn't make sense for our players. This should be a spread or west coast rhythm passing team. Tyrod generally seems like a smart player, I want to see him in an offense that plays to his and the team's strengths more. They should've been throwing more and getting him into a rhythm. Screens to Sammy and McCoy should be attempted multiple times per game. Slants, curls, all that stuff with Woods, Clay. Cut out half of the inside runs and make them quick throws to McCoy and get him in space. And in general the way everyone is used is confusing. No targets for Watkins in the first half. Karlos, the north-south downhill runner, outside on 3rd and inches? Not up the gut two times in a row? Or if you have to go outside, not to Shady!? I wish I could see this offense with a Chan playbook.

Ball control offense doesn't make sense for our players. This should be a spread or west coast rhythm passing team. Tyrod generally seems like a smart player, I want to see him in an offense that plays to his and the team's strengths more. They should've been throwing more and getting him into a rhythm. Screens to Sammy and McCoy should be attempted multiple times per game. Slants, curls, all that stuff with Woods, Clay. Cut out half of the inside runs and make them quick throws to McCoy and get him in space. And in general the way everyone is used is confusing. No targets for Watkins in the first half. Karlos, the north-south downhill runner, outside on 3rd and inches? Not up the gut two times in a row? Or if you have to go outside, not to Shady!? I wish I could see this offense with a Chan playbook.

Very smart post. Too bad our HC can't see what you see. And he never will. Rex Ryan is a defensive coordinator - not a head coach.

If you were told the Bills would have that situation going into this game, most would have been pretty happy.

If someone had told me the Bills had to go 80 yards with 1:54 on the clock with no timeouts I would not have taken that. The odds of them doing that aren't good.

The fact that the Bills couldn't even run a pro level 2 minute drill and cross midfield is what's disturbing though, not that they couldn't pull out the tie. I'd have been happier with an INT because Taylor forced the ball down field trying to make a play. But what we saw was about as bad as it gets.

No the play call on 3rd down was worse. SNEAK!!!

Yeah, I'm more irritated by the play call on 3rd down than the decision to punt on 4th. A sneak most likely gets us the inches we need, why we tried running to the outside there I have no idea. But you don't go for it on 4th and risk giving Tom Brady the ball at midfield unless it's like 2 minutes left.

If someone had told me the Bills had to go 80 yards with 1:54 on the clock with no timeouts I would not have taken that. The odds of them doing that aren't good.

The fact that the Bills couldn't even run a pro level 2 minute drill and cross midfield is what's disturbing though, not that they couldn't pull out the tie. I'd have been happier with an INT because Taylor forced the ball down field trying to make a play. But what we saw was about as bad as it gets.

Funny it seem's to me I recall that the 2 min offense seem to be a strength of EJ. He opreated in it well in just about every game he has played.

Seems like Roman is micromanaging.... Tyrod needed to go a little willie beamon on that drive and just call stuff off his sleeve.

Also the ref's absolutely tanked that game at the end for us... they legit ran over 40 seconds off the clock spotting a 9 yard completion to woods.

I could not believe they didn't throw some time back on the clock after they reviewed it for what felt like 10 minutes. Nope, they started the game clock and waited at least 5-10 seconds to put the ball on the ground. What the hell is that?

Seems like Roman is micromanaging.... Tyrod needed to go a little willie beamon on that drive and just call stuff off his sleeve.

Also the ref's absolutely tanked that game at the end for us... they legit ran over 40 seconds off the clock spotting a 9 yard completion to woods.

I could not believe they didn't throw some time back on the clock after they reviewed it for what felt like 10 minutes. Nope, they started the game clock and waited at least 5-10 seconds to put the ball on the ground. What the hell is that?

Agreed. Tyrod seems afraid to take charge, waiting for the man in his helmet to tell him what to do. And the Pats blowing that foghorn WHEN HE IS AT THE LINE should draw some kind of NFL slap on the wrist too.

Roman really looked amateur out there today. Not quite Nate Hackett level, but that is a pretty low bar.

I thought Roman did a fine job of play calling with the exception of the two sweeps on 3rd and short that got stuffed in the backfield. I would prefer to see QB sneaks or atleast just pound it up the middle, from under center on a HB dive play. Other than those few plays, I thought the play calling was fine. The execution sucked. Taylor was terrible. McCoy dropped a TD. Woods dropped a first down. Lots of mistakes to go around.

I thought Roman did a fine job of play calling with the exception of the two sweeps on 3rd and short that got stuffed in the backfield. I would prefer to see QB sneaks or atleast just pound it up the middle, from under center on a HB dive play. Other than those few plays, I thought the play calling was fine. The execution sucked. Taylor was terrible. McCoy dropped a TD. Woods dropped a first down. Lots of mistakes to go around.

That stupid QB scramble to the left play needs to be taken out of the playbook. Always on 3rd and 4th down at crucial moments. terrible.

Clock Management terrible. The end of the 2nd quarter when they were deep in NE zone, they could have ran the ball and burned 30 to 40 seconds of clock. They would still have had plenty of time to try to score but would have had little time left on the clock for NE if they failed. Instead they give Brady a full minute of time from mid field. Clock Management in the last 5 minutes was horrendous.

How the F$%K do the Bills not have two plays called in the huddle to start the last drive? Why is TT looking for a play to be called? If TT can not memorize 5 plays to use in the two minute drill then he is hopeless/worthless.

Why would you blame coaching? If headsets aren't working why can't Taylor call a play? Send guys out and throw the damn ball downfield, not 5 yd passes with no time outs and under a minute left.

Why would you blame coaching?

Because they should have called multiple plays in the huddle coming out of the break. There should be no reason to look to the sidelines there, everybody should already know the play and should be hurrying to the LoS to snap the ball.

TT is seriously flawed at QB. He cannot throw deep. He under threw several balls that could have been TDs.

He finally through a jump ball to Sammy that Sammy went up for and made a great play. Why not start to do that in the first quarter?

His running is so ineffective it negates the logic of having a running QB that is an average passer.

This game showed that we cannot throw a lot of money at him long term.

I wonder if the players union negotiated policy on practice time has impacted the ability ot REX and staff from covering all this two minute drill stuff properly? Only so many minutes allowed on the field. Certainly hurts a first year coaching staff after a total change of coaches. (well, almost, Crossman and Henderson stayed) Anyhow, the coaching job certainly looks incomplete. Might also be some players lack the mental capacity to absorb all of this stuff a once...that is one season. (not pointing at any individuals right now)

Having said all that, I am shuddering to see how Henderson does against JJ Watt.

Because they should have called multiple plays in the huddle coming out of the break. There should be no reason to look to the sidelines there, everybody should already know the play and should be hurrying to the LoS to snap the ball.

That's where your QB needs to take over and line everyone up and call a play

I wonder if the players union negotiated policy on practice time has impacted the ability ot REX and staff from covering all this two minute drill stuff properly?

Or maybe Rex giving his guys so much time off? They looked unprepared and unpracticed in situational football. Guys that look that unprepared shouldn't be given so much time off.

Giving time off to a team is something you can do with a team full of vets who all know the systems inside and out, not on a team that has two new coordinators and everybody obviously isn't on the same page. If they don't want to run contact practices fine, but make them go over situational drills again and again.

That two minute offense made me want to :sick:

That's where your QB needs to take over and line everyone up and call a play

That's where a coach needs to have his guys prepared for the situation. Nobody seemed to know wtf they were doing. That's on coaching. I'm not excusing TT and his horrible play last night and you're right, a vet in that situation simply lines up his team and snaps the ball. But the Bills have a guy who has 7 starts, the coach needs to have him prepared for that moment and they didn't.

Btw, I've never seen a team not call multiple plays in the huddle coming out of the break in that situation. Never seen it. Not even in college ball. That is coaching.

On paper maybe. I'm not convinced Tyrod has the accuracy and arm to run a WCO consistently. We had a guy named Trent Edwards here once upon a time who tore it up with the 2 to 6 yard passing game though.

I do agree with the confusing. I think the players are confused on offense and defense both. Why does Roman just have Watkins line up as the split-end every play? Why not use some motion? Is he just another Lee Evans? Is the offense just a big bag of tricks? Form and flash without substance? Do they have an identity? Or are they really profoundly stunted because of the QB they have?