Use Charles Clay more - why aren't they getting him the ball

San-O

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look.....this is a bull **** answer....when they are ALL injured at the same time its injuries

They were all there against the Patriots, and only one was out against the Giants, yet they were ineffective.

Too many excuses. This offense isn't that good.

I guess will will find out tomorrow, because they will all be playing. Or will it not count because it's the Patriots (who are riddled with injuries)?

Edited by HoF Watkins

They were all there against the Patriots, and only one was out against the Giants, yet they were ineffective.

I guess will will find out tomorrow, because they will all be playing. Or will it not count because it's the Patriots (who are riddled with injuries)?

Even with all these injuries the Bills are 6th in the league in scoring. And considering the defense has not been able to shut teams down much at all, that's pretty damn good.

What a simplistic way of looking at it

Well it wasn't supposed to be a QB thread, but how many draft picks have the Bills used on QB the past 20 years?

Do you want me to depress you seeking out a large bottle of Gin with the exact list of busts, but for brevity sake it starts with Todd Collins to replace Kelly,and ends with EJ.

Do I need to say more as if I type the whole list, I think I'll get a little vomit in my throat.

Even with all these injuries the Bills are 6th in the league in scoring. And considering the defense has not been able to shut teams down much at all, that's pretty damn good.

Kelly - good point as people get wrapped around the axle on yards, and that antequated way to measure an offense or defense is useless. I always look at the pts/game, and same on defense.

I am happy we are still 2nd in the NFL in rushing. The Jets had the #1 run defense avg 88 yards a game, and we put up 148 yards on them. We avg. 142 so I believe we will have a decent night against NE. This should allow a couple of those long Sammy throws from TT.

Lastly, I know the Pats are the #2 rushing defense, but that is more of a function of everyone playing from behind so forced to throw the ball.

What a simplistic way of looking at it

If looking at the offensive woes with "complexity" will make it better, I'm all for it. I'm just going by what I see, and it hasn't been good enough. I have to wonder if between Watkins, McCoy, and Tyrod, we have collected too many guys that may be fragile.

Edited by HoF Watkins

If looking at the offensive woes with "complexity" will make it better, I'm all for it. I'm just going by what I see, and it hasn't been good enough. I have to wonder if between Watkins, McCoy, and Tyrod, we have collected too many guys that may be fragile.

McCoy has missed 6 games in his entire career. He's anything but fragile.

McCoy has missed 6 games in his entire career. He's anything but fragile.

Fragile is a harsh term.

They were worried McCoy wasn't going to be ready to start this season, and he has already missed a bunch of games. Watkins apparently played hurt all last year, and has missed games this year. Tyrod is a running QB, not very big, and has missed games this season.

I don't believe all these guys are going to go the rest of the season without missing games. Injuries can't be an excuse. If one of these guys was Peyton Manning/Brady/Montana, or Jerry Rice/DeAndre Hopkins/Paul Warfield type talents, then it might be convincing.

Edited by HoF Watkins

OK Ill bite i guess

- Prior to this year what injuries woes are you considering for McCoy

- Sammy Watkins played through fractured ribs last year and had a respectable rookie season

- Tyrod taylor in his first year of starting has missed 2 games?.......and is 5-2 in the games he has started

NOW

- GIven what we have seen in the league this year....how important is it to have your starting QB on the field

- Sammy Watkins has had TWO injuries this year and is our go to guy......how important is it to have him on the field

- When the THREE of them are together? How many games have we lost

Its INJURIES

Fragile is a harsh term.

They were worried McCoy wasn't going to be ready to start this season, and he has already missed a bunch of games two games.

Settle down. He had a hamstring pull, that doesn't mean he's fragile or injury prone, In fact, his career numbers show otherwise which is why it's asinine to include him on your list.

OK Ill bite i guess

- Prior to this year what injuries woes are you considering for McCoy

- Sammy Watkins played through fractured ribs last year and had a respectable rookie season

- Tyrod taylor in his first year of starting has missed 2 games?.......and is 5-2 in the games he has started

NOW

- GIven what we have seen in the league this year....how important is it to have your starting QB on the field

- Sammy Watkins has had TWO injuries this year and is our go to guy......how important is it to have him on the field

- When the THREE of them are together? How many games have we lost

Its INJURIES

I realize there have been some games that they have all been out, but not all, and having guys that get injured can kill a team. You can't have those kind of players.

The Colts are 3-0 with Hasselback. The Texans and Steelers have won with backups.

Of course you gotta have the starting QB on the field, but if he can't stay healthy (yet to be seen), it can't be an excuse for very long.

What I'm saying is, if these guys have missed so many games (collectively), why should we expect it not to continue?

Edited by HoF Watkins

And the OP just got shut up. Once again a case of complain without knowing what you are talking about.

My intention wasn't to shut anyone up, but things like the OP always make me curious, so I go check the data. I was actually surprised to see Clay up there, but then got a good laugh at the irony haha

I don't think it's an excuse when you have at one point 7 offensive starters out, and three defensive players. The Cowboys have been living off of their QB and WR for 7 losses.

I get the whole next man up, but it does stack up. If Brady was out with the rest of their guys, how would Garoppolo (not sure on spelling and too lazy to look up) do if the three starting OL, top WR, and top RB were out. We'd kill them. Brady always equalizes everything.

We have to hope we can provide enough tomorrow night. God, don't get cute and drop any DL into coverage. Let the dogs go and even if they don't sack, if they can hurry, and pressure, that is enough. Bracket Gronk.

Makes sense, good point.

Then why spend 2 1st's n Watkins and pay a big time contract FA contract to Clay?

Matchups. You need those kind of players to create mismatches. Too easy to defend otherwise. If you want to run the ball, you need to dictate to the defense with those kinds of players or you'll be looking at stacked fronts.

Of course tomorrow will count. The offense is not that good. They have talent, but are not yet the offense they could be. Was the first game vs Pats really any surprise ? After a preseason with no decided QB, no starting WRs practicing with said QBs , and McCoys injury? It shouldn't have been, and not in the same universe as the Pats with the same skill position parts and QB for many seasons. Time will tell. They should be good enough to compete with the Pats right now. There is nearly no chance of the Bills winning , but if they have playoff hopes they need a Giants / Jets type night vs NE.

I'd say there are two reasons.

One, even though they don't throw the ball a lot those guys make it easier for the Bills to do everything. Clay is a nightmare matchup problem for defenses. He's fast and also a willing blocker. Teams have a tough time deciding what type of D to play if the Bills go with 22 personnel (two TE/two RB set.) They'll most likely go base and with McFaden and Clay they're going to get LBs matched up on them. They can create mismatches like this if a lot of packages. Clay's ability alone allows the Bills to dictate to the defense. That's not normally the case for a team that wants to run the ball so much. But for Roman's offense it's imperative.

Watkins, with his talent alone, opens up things for everybody else in addition to being a big play threat on every down. He's a young QB's best friend.

The 2nd reason is that you don't sign/draft guys for one year. These guys are going to be here awhile and while the Bills don't have the ability to utilize all their guys to the best of their ability right now it doesn't mean they won't be able to do so a year or two down the line. Get a QB who you don't have to hide and can utilize all those guys and the Bills will be a formidable matchup for anybody.

i didnt know mcfaden was on our team...what is he a rb or TE? whats his number?