Use Charles Clay more - why aren't they getting him the ball

San-O

Charles Clay was a huge signing this off-season, I think everyone would have had to agree when it happened.

Why isn't he getting the ball more? I thought he was supposed to be a huge mismatch for the Bills O, and they don't

seem to be able to get him the ball with any consistency: IMO

He catches the ball when targeted and can run also. What gives?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14145/charles-clay

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14145/charles-clay

Edited by San-O

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with looking at the stats of guys like Watkins, Clay and Woods is that the Bills want to throw the ball less than 20 times a game. Even with a 70% completion percentage that roughly 14 completions to split between those guys. Nobody is going to have big stats until we have a QB who can be relied on to put the ball up more. Hopefully TT develops into that guy.

The problem with looking at the stats of guys like Watkins, Clay and Woods is that the Bills want to throw the ball less than 20 times a game. Even with a 70% completion percentage that roughly 14 completions to split between those guys. Nobody is going to have big stats until we have a QB who can be relied on to put the ball up more. Hopefully TT develops into that guy.

Makes sense, good point.

Then why spend 2 1st's n Watkins and pay a big time contract FA contract to Clay?

Makes sense, good point.

Then why spend 2 1st's n Watkins and pay a big time contract FA contract to Clay?

I'd say there are two reasons.

One, even though they don't throw the ball a lot those guys make it easier for the Bills to do everything. Clay is a nightmare matchup problem for defenses. He's fast and also a willing blocker. Teams have a tough time deciding what type of D to play if the Bills go with 22 personnel (two TE/two RB set.) They'll most likely go base and with McFaden and Clay they're going to get LBs matched up on them. They can create mismatches like this if a lot of packages. Clay's ability alone allows the Bills to dictate to the defense. That's not normally the case for a team that wants to run the ball so much. But for Roman's offense it's imperative.

Watkins, with his talent alone, opens up things for everybody else in addition to being a big play threat on every down. He's a young QB's best friend.

The 2nd reason is that you don't sign/draft guys for one year. These guys are going to be here awhile and while the Bills don't have the ability to utilize all their guys to the best of their ability right now it doesn't mean they won't be able to do so a year or two down the line. Get a QB who you don't have to hide and can utilize all those guys and the Bills will be a formidable matchup for anybody.

Edited by MDH

With all these talented guys, and all these guys "creating space" for each other, I would think the offense would be a juggernaut. Yet they are 5-4 (and have one win against a team with a winning record), and the offense has had lots of struggles.

I have seen the same people post:

"Tyrod is playing great"

"Watkins is playing great"

"Woods is a really talented #2"

"Clay is a great weapon"

"Between McCoy and Karlos, we have a potent running attack"

I want to believe, and on paper it looks good, but I have yet to see a consistent offense.

Edited by HoF Watkins

With all these talented guys, and all these guys "creating space" for each other, I would think the offense would be a juggernaut. Yet they are 5-4 and the offense has had lots of struggles.

"Tyrod is playing great"

"Clay is a great weapon"

I want to believe, and on paper it looks good, but I have yet to see a consistent offense.

These things aren't untrue. They are doing good jobs with what they are being asked to do.

The basic issue is the Bills have a QB who can't do a whole lot right now. They're hiding him and hoping he makes some big plays and limits mistakes. What they are doing isn't sustainable over the long haul, TT will have to improve and be able to operate the entire offense. He has the potential to do this but we won't know for awhile.

As I said upstream, until the Bills have a QB who they trust to run a modern day NFL offense nobody is going tp reach their full potential on offense other than the RBs.

I'd say there are two reasons.

One, even though they don't throw the ball a lot those guys make it easier for the Bills to do everything. Clay is a nightmare matchup problem for defenses. He's fast and also a willing blocker. Teams have a tough time deciding what type of D to play if the Bills go with 22 personnel (two TE/two RB set.) They'll most likely go base and with McFaden and Clay they're going to get LBs matched up on them. They can create mismatches like this if a lot of packages. Clay's ability alone allows the Bills to dictate to the defense. That's not normally the case for a team that wants to run the ball so much. But for Roman's offense it's imperative.

Watkins, with his talent alone, opens up things for everybody else in addition to being a big play threat on every down. He's a young QB's best friend.

The 2nd reason is that you don't sign/draft guys for one year. These guys are going to be here awhile and while the Bills don't have the ability to utilize all their guys to the best of their ability right now it doesn't mean they won't be able to do so a year or two down the line. Get a QB who you don't have to hide and can utilize all those guys and the Bills will be a formidable matchup for anybody.

Nice post. THx.

Let's get a QB.

The team has 261 passing attempts, 177 completions

Completions/targets:

Clay - 40/57

Woods - 29/44

Watkins - 22/33

Harvin - 19/30

Hogan - 20/29

McCoy - 18/26

Gragg - 8/13

Williams - 6/8

And the OP just got shut up. Once again a case of complain without knowing what you are talking about.

Nice post. THx.

Let's get a QB.

We may have the QB already. He's just not there yet. We'll see, but no matter how the TT plays from here on out they need to bring in another option and continually try to improve the position until they are 100% positive they have their guy.

With all these talented guys, and all these guys "creating space" for each other, I would think the offense would be a juggernaut. Yet they are 5-4 (and have one win against a team with a winning record), and the offense has had lots of struggles.

"Tyrod is playing great"

"Clay is a great weapon"

Injuries

Well it wasn't supposed to be a QB thread, but how many draft picks have the Bills used on QB the past 20 years?

What if they dont need to?

"Tyrod is playing great"

"Clay is a great weapon"

The problem is how often they've been able to have all those guys on the field the same week. Clay and Woods are the only ones who haven't missed multiple games due to injury. Some of them overlapped, some didn't. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Indy, NE, Miami and last Thursday are the only times all of those guys have been healthy at the same time.