Top Posters In This Topic

Top HC candidates next season

1. Adam Gase

2. Hue Jackson

3. Sean Payton

4. Brian Kelly

5. David Shaw

That's a quality list. I have a few thoughts:

If Peyton Manning retires and directly heads to a team's FO in any capacity (even as a part time consultant) look for him to make a big push to bring Gase there. I'm sure Haslam will make a push for him (they know each other well through the Tennessee Vols program). I don't know that he wants to be a part of that dumpster fire though. The Oiltans are another spot he might eventually land.

Sean Payton might be a bit tainted at this point. While he has quite the offensive mind, the issues in NO are bad. Not only has he had scandals, but much worse, his team has collapsed under him. And I wouldn't consider any HC candidate that would hire Rob Ryan.

Brian Kelly has been a quality coach for a long time. If he lands with a team that has a good structure he should do well in the NFL. Likewise David Shaw. In fact he probably tops my list. I've heard a friend in the scouting world refer to him as "a true leader of men". I don't know that either get pried away from their current gigs, especially Shaw. His situation at Stanford is just a tremendous fit for him.

Whisenhunt gone in tenny, will mularkey get it too? I say YES

Philbin gone in Miami, will Campbell get fired too? I say NO

Other teams could be firing coaches:

Pettine/browns...a bum that never adddd anything YES

Caldwell/lions....he's milked "I once coached Peyton Manning" too much YES

Pagano/colts...I say stays at least another year NO

Peyton/saints...he took the first move protecting his ass firing Ryan, but if they don't improve I see him gone too NO

Chargers/McCoy....big under achievers, with a move to LA pending, I could see a cleaning out of the coaching staff YES

Smith/Tampa bay....they finish just close enough to .500 to buy lovie another year with Winston NO

Throw in the one unexpected case of falling out or retirement and I see the typical 5-6 vacancies at year end

I say Peyton leaves NO to coach Luck in Indy.

John is the most under rated coach IMHO. He took the Panthers to the SB with Jake Delhomme at QB and lost on a last second FG to the Patsies**. He took the Broncos to the SB and lost to a team with a D that whipped everyone's ass all year. Now he has the Bears pointing in the right direction and still you talk about him as if he were a poor coach that teams this year should avoid experienced coaches like him.

I wish we had hired him instead of Rex.

He was available when the Bills hired Gregg Williams. Imagine if they had hired Fox instead.

Sean Payton might be a bit tainted at this point. While he has quite the offensive mind, the issues in NO are bad. Not only has he had scandals, but much worse, his team has collapsed under him. And I wouldn't consider any HC candidate that would hire Rob Ryan.

Rob Ryan was actually the right guy because his scheme has the potential to maximize production from inferior talent, provided they're smart enough to execute it. The Saints defense did initially improve after he was brought on board but that unit was neglected before he got there and suffered from continuing neglect to the point where Rob couldn't get much out of it. Don't expect his replacement to fare much better.

Lewis is really lucky he works for a very cheap owner who doesn't want to have to eat the contract. Seems everytime Marvin is on thin ice, has a couple of losing seasons, on top of prior losing seasons, but still has 1 or 2 years left on deal. With is history of losing, would be more than enough to be fired by most owners, but Browns cheapness prevails, keeps him for one more year so as not to have to eat much or any of contract, then Lewis has a strong season, gets rewarded with a new contract, and we repeat the cycle all over again.

Everytime Lewis is at the end of the deal he puts together a winning season and gives reason for hope.

By that metric Marvin Lewis is the third most likely firing....... unlikely I would wager.

seeing Pats DC Matt Patricia mentioned now too

wouldnt bother me a whole lot if Bellichick lost both his coordinators

when has losing a coordinator ever seemed to hurt Belichick?

I will laugh so hard if they fire Coughlin to hire Todd Haley.

Is it coaching or Eli?

They will still be stuck with Eli and his contract.

Is it coaching or Eli?

They will still be stuck with Eli and his contract.

Decision making is terrible from the sidelines. Putting eli in awfully difficult positions. I say its coaching. That team has decent talent. Maybe it's not appropriate to say this, but I think coughlin is showing signs of alzheimers. Edited by JTSP

Depending on how the rest of the Giants season goes, I think you could see Coughlin forced out, especially if Payton comes available. The Sean Payton thing could be very intersesting as he might incite a few teams to move on from their coaches to get in the race, namely Dallas, the Giants, and Cleveland. If he is fired, he will be the hottest coaching candidate to come along in a long time, probably surpassing the Chip Kelly nonsense of a few years ago. He has ties to both Dallas and the Giants and Cleveland is probably willing to just give someone the keys to the whole football team at this point. He will be the highest paid NFL coach.

Good call. I think Coughlin is done even though the owners love him and what he has done. They will let him retire with class, that is what classy organizations do

Decision making is terrible from the sidelines. Putting eli in awfully difficult positions. I say its coaching. That team has decent talent. Maybe it's not appropriate to say this, but I think coughlin is showing signs of alzheimers.

Coughlin has been hanging on to his job for years now and IMO it was Eli that has saved his job a number of times.