11 days to prepare for the Pats*

scribo

We won't truly know until the end of the season standings. The new HC was forced by Marrones departure, so let's get that out of the way. To expect that all the changes and acquisitions that come with that will work to perfection out of the gate is a bit removed from reality. Another bit of reality is that the Bills ( or apparently the rest of the NFL) isn't beating the Pats until Brady retires or someone nearly as good emerges/ is acquired. That doesn't mean that the Bills moves are for naught , as they are right in the thick of the playoff race. The division may be unwinnable as previously stated, but the playoffs are attainable. That's a reasonable goal for a Bills team that has gone nowhere for a decade and a half. Anyone paying attention in the offseason realized the Bills didn't have the QB to actually overtake New England. The Bills are stuck in the AFC East, so the division is far more closed off than the other 7. Only unrealistic expectations would make that realization deflating. The Bills tried to get better and close the gap with the playoff contenders. They were going nowhere with EJM or even Orton at QB, so it meant they weren't going to stand still. We'll see if it produces a playoff berth in year one , and the Bills are in position with tiebreaks to control their own destiny. That's a big difference than last season when they were thin on all important AFC wins but went 4-0 vs NFC north. So the record may be the same, but Bills fans can be ok with that knowing their team has beaten the " right teams" to get them to the postseason . They need to continue this going forward, just be glad their will be no requirement of beating the Pats to get into the tournament .

Marrone was 3-7 in his first 10 games with new systems and coaches and players.

The team Rex inherited was better but the injuries have killed us. Injuries affected Marrone's first 10, too.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just went back to the Jets v NE game.. only got into the 2nd qtr, but the Pats haven't gotten moved the ball at all against their 4-2-5.. Jets have varied their coverages - but basically laid out a hi-lo blanket across the field with cover 3 and 4, and mixing in some man with cover 1 high safety who he occasionally walked down into the box. i'm thinking the Pats early throw-throw- throw gameplan was in response to what their perceived chances were in running the ball. obviously, Belichick didn't like how his O line matched up with the Jets' fronts - particularly, their front 4.

so far, the Jets left DE and DT are crushing the Pat's right side, while their left side is collapsing too. Brady looks very uncomfortable, and his timing is off. i'm not sure if they have a first down yet. Fitz fumbled deep in in his own end on the Jets 1st possession, and Pats kicked FG on 4th.

gotta go put my rakes away, but i'm curious how the Pats responded. i know they eventually win a tough game, so i'm thinking Bowles did a good job countering all afternoon.

my first impression is that our personnel could defend them this way for the first 20 minutes, also. :thumbsup:

Good analysis. Rex acknowledged his game plan was ineffective vs Pats and said it was on him. We an be certain the Bills will have a completely different approach this time around. The Pats will too, but my guess is Rex will either be much more agressive in his blitzing and pass rush , or will be a lot more physical with the Pats receivers . The best thing is the Bills did what they needed to do vs MIA and NYJ and still have the season finale at home vs Jets to notch an AFC and division win in what could be a playoff type game. I'd rather they did that than go into NE needing to win just to stay afloat.

Good analysis. Rex acknowledged his game plan was ineffective vs Pats and said it was on him. We an be certain the Bills will have a completely different approach this time around. The Pats will too, but my guess is Rex will either be much more agressive in his blitzing and pass rush , or will be a lot more physical with the Pats receivers . The best thing is the Bills did what they needed to do vs MIA and NYJ and still have the season finale at home vs Jets to notch an AFC and division win in what could be a playoff type game. I'd rather they did that than go into NE needing to win just to stay afloat.

It was absolutely mind boggling that Rex didn't apply pressure or press or chip WR and TE at the Line. It was an insane strategy I can only believe was meant to confuse them into mistakes because they couldn't believe we were doing it.

are they subject to the CFB playoff committee's weekly rankings? No, this is the NFL. They will make the playoffs or they won't in due time but otherwise "fan opinion of how good they are in week 10" is meaningless IMO.

I agree with our friend. If we cannot give the Patriots something to be concerned about then its all for naught. To win the division we have to beat the Patriots.

and if Brady is going get the completions anyways lets ruffle his feathers each play. Toss him around a little. and jeebus please play press cover

just went back to the Jets v NE game.. only got into the 2nd qtr, but the Pats haven't gotten moved the ball at all against their 4-2-5.. Jets have varied their coverages - but basically laid out a hi-lo blanket across the field with cover 3 and 4, and mixing in some man with cover 1 high safety who he occasionally walked down into the box. i'm thinking the Pats early throw-throw- throw gameplan was in response to what their perceived chances were in running the ball. obviously, Belichick didn't like how his O line matched up with the Jets' fronts - particularly, their front 4.

so far, the Jets left DE and DT are crushing the Pat's right side, while their left side is collapsing too. Brady looks very uncomfortable, and his timing is off. i'm not sure if they have a first down yet. Fitz fumbled deep in in his own end on the Jets 1st possession, and Pats kicked FG on 4th.

gotta go put my rakes away, but i'm curious how the Pats responded. i know they eventually win a tough game, so i'm thinking Bowles did a good job countering all afternoon.

my first impression is that our personnel could defend them this way for the first 20 minutes, also. :thumbsup:

Intrigued !

It was absolutely mind boggling that Rex didn't apply pressure or press or chip WR and TE at the Line. It was an insane strategy I can only believe was meant to confuse them into mistakes because they couldn't believe we were doing it.

That was exactly the plan. trickery with the zone coverage. But Bill B and Tommy confused Bills and once they got frustrated well..

This is a different team. thank goodness. Rex knows he a got another lesson that week.

Edited by 3rdand12

I don't see Rex changing anything he does no matter what happened in the past. He will live or die doingn things his way.

Why do you think that? The defensive gameplan for the first Pats game was quite surprising. Largely because it was so different that anything Rex had done vs Brady in the past. It was also highly ineffective, which he acknowledged and took blame for. Doesn't seem likely he would do the same thing this time.

Pats actually have an extra day to prepare as well being a Monday night game.

I don't think the prep time is going to mean a lot in this game. The Pats could be coming off 3 days rest and I think they would probably still win, provided Gronkowski and Brady both play.

I think the bills should just play all the backups and give the starters 18 days of rest.

I was thinking the same thing. I worry that Rex will be treating this like it's the damn Super Bowl, get everybody all jacked up, then we get beat and injuries. I'd rather lose this one and win 5 of the last 6. Hell even 4 of the last 6 would probably work (9-7 probably gets you in this year).

the thing is, I think our failure in our first meeting with the Pats wasn't just our lack of pressure, but also our lack of discipline in coverage, i was happy to see our LBs and DBS ( I consider Hughes a DE in this D ) execute an efficient coverage plan last Thursday - but we match up much better against the Jets weapons than the Pats,,,, and make no mistake.. this is a problem shared by 31 teams.

watching 4 D linemen impact the urgency in which the Pats executed versus varied, but disciplined, 7 man coverage schemes designed to fit particular field position/ down/ distance situations - leaves this Bills fan thinking that we have the means to defend them.

Edited by BackInDaDay

Thought I read somewhere this morning that Vollmer's out today with a concussion. Did we know this? If he is, I think it could be huge if he can't play next Monday night.

he is definitely out - didn't see the reason though

@MikeReiss: As expected, Patriots rule Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon, Tre' Jackson and Jamie Collins out for Sunday's game.

We'd better have a game plan against the Pats' blitz schemes. Last time, Tyrod had about three seconds becfore the pocket closed around him like a fist. He had no place to scramble to, no place to step up, and no clear throwing lanes. That sort of scheme works even if Tyrod isn't sacked.

Kromer's got to find a way to redirect the pass rush away from the play side, or at least get the rushers out of their lanes so Tyrod's got a crease or two. Dante Scarnecchia was always great at doing that for Brady and I still hate him for it.

the thing is, I think our failure in our first meeting with the Pats wasn't just our lack of pressure, but also our lack of discipline in coverage, i was happy to see our LBs and DBS ( I consider Hughes a DE in this D ) execute an efficient coverage plan last Thursday - but we match up much better against the Jets weapons than the Pats,,,, and make no mistake.. this is a problem shared by 31 teams.

watching 4 D linemen impact the urgency in which the Pats executed versus varied, but disciplined, 7 man coverage schemes designed to fit particular field position/ down/ distance situations - leaves this Bills fan thinking that we have the means to defend them.

I think the Bills are a different team than the first matchup.

My worry is not The Game plan so much as it is execution and communication.

And BillsFan-4-ever has a valid point about hand signals!

But this is the healthiest we've been and the Bills are starting to look the part of a real NFL team. Tyrod and the O line are coming together and Bills can run the ball.

TOP as mentioned is huge , keep the Pats D on the field.

Be very interesting do see what Coughlin does today

We'd better have a game plan against the Pats' blitz schemes. Last time, Tyrod had about three seconds becfore the pocket closed around him like a fist. He had no place to scramble to, no place to step up, and no clear throwing lanes. That sort of scheme works even if Tyrod isn't sacked.

Kromer's got to find a way to redirect the pass rush away from the play side, or at least get the rushers out of their lanes so Tyrod's got a crease or two. Dante Scarnecchia was always great at doing that for Brady and I still hate him for it.

I agree. We saw the Titans create the same type of problems for Taylor and the Jest better talent wrecked havoc. He simply must do a better job of recognition and our receivers have to win battles when we are in max protect.

GO BILLS!!!