Bowles' Big Mistakes

The jets defense was blitzing the crap out of the bills, but then seemed like they backed off once the bills started picking it up. The td drive at the beginning of the 2nd 1/2 was huge, no pressure at all and tyrod picked them apart. Sammy catches the 1st pass on the opening play of the game, 7 -0 buffalo. The jets screwed them self by not kicking the field goal when it was 22-10. That was just dumb, then to not get points on a turnover at the 13 is even stupider. When you don't take the points that are there for you, then you end up chasing points.....like a junkie chasing a fix or a gambler trying to get square. Never works out for, bowles played into our hands, we took the points given to us, we won 2 games in 5 days and righted the ship.

Go Bills

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jets defense was blitzing the crap out of the bills, but then seemed like they backed off once the bills started picking it up. The td drive at the beginning of the 2nd 1/2 was huge, no pressure at all and tyrod picked them apart. Sammy catches the 1st pass on the opening play of the game, 7 -0 buffalo. The jets screwed them self by not kicking the field goal when it was 22-10. That was just dumb, then to not get points on a turnover at the 13 is even stupider. When you don't take the points that are there for you, then you end up chasing points.....like a junkie chasing a fix or a gambler trying to get square. Never works out for, bowles played into our hands, we took the points given to us, we won 2 games in 5 days and righted the ship.

Go Bills

AND Bills almost played into their hands going into the 4th with 1 timeout and then about a minute later burning that last one... I ALMOST HIT THE ROOF. That's as good as having 3 turnovers for the half IFF the other team still has all their TO's, IMO.

Take the 5 yards.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Chan made a couple classic Chan calls with passing plays short of the first down on third and fourth and short and insisting on passing when Ivory was getting yards at will

Actually Fitz made his usual calls....throwing INT at inappropriate times

what??? that sentence makes no sense whatsoever...either you trust analytics and make decision off of them,or t you don't...no in between.

Just cause the play does not work does not mean it was a wrong decision to go for it.

in terms of the pass to the TE...all i thought was TJ Graham

I've been doing analytics, for a job, since before it was called analytics, or business intelligence, for that matter.

But, please, educate me. :lol:

Yeah, I've never advised a client that while our data warehouse, and the tools we've delployed/constructed/integrated on top/next to are great resources, they are no substitute for experience. And that informed experience, is literally the definition of business intelligence. :rolleyes:

Funny. Long before Nate Silver was doing anything....I was doing Moneyball for GM. Hell, I could have written my own blog...but that is both beneath an enterprise consultant, and an NDA violation. Perhaps you should google Cognos, and Business Objects(I managed 15+ deployments of each), and ask yourself why, given that they won the BI wars, they aren't household names today. They were analytics, in every sense of the word.

Perhaps I should save you the trouble, because this is like an open book test that you're going to fail anyway. Business intelligence, requires: innate intelligence. The reason these firms once dominated, and then got sold to IBM, etc., is because ultimately, the premise of analytics, as sold today, which is == to your premise above...is false.

Even if you provide the smartest architecture in history, it won't matter...if 60+% of the organization is too dumb to do anything with the information that architecture provides. It's entirely relative, and often comes down to what each invididual manager finds useful, or is able to understand.

See? Experience. I've learned that lesson, the hard way, multiple times, especially at GM. So, no, it's not "either/or" for an organization, as you described. Not even close. Moveover, with an acute decision like kicking a FG/going for it? That can ONLY be determined by how a head coach FEELS about his team, IN REAL TIME.

Providing real time analytics, such that real time decisions can be made on it, is no simple task. To be truly useful, Analytics...requires a workflow and business rule engine, aloing with sound OLTP systems. This does not consist of some tool taking raw data and running it against his spreadsheet(never mind the bottle neck in decision flow that creates), or his copy of SAS, or worse, having that turd's work used as holy writ by sports opinionists. And, ALL of the above is subject to 100% accurate and approved raw data collection, properly validated and processed, or none of it is worth a damn.

But, please, as I said, tell me about analytics some more. :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Two weeks in a row we've benefited from some questionable coaching. I have a feeling we won't get so lucky against the Pats haha

Questionable coaching decisions, actually terrible coaching decisions, were the only reason that we made it interesting or close against the Pats. Belicheat let us back into that game with bad decisions.

I do think he's the best coach of all time but trying to bury us for no reason was the only reason we had a late chance.

Questionable coaching decisions, actually terrible coaching decisions, were the only reason that we made it interesting or close against the Pats. Belicheat let us back into that game with bad decisions.

I do think he's the best coach of all time but trying to bury us for no reason was the only reason we had a late chance.

Excellent point. Even the master can be a slave to emotion. The Pats just refused to run the ball late or punt and play field position with that big lead.

AND Bills almost played into their hands going into the 4th with 1 timeout and then about a minute later burning that last one... I ALMOST HIT THE ROOF. That's as good as having 3 turnovers for the half IFF the other team still has all their TO's, IMO.

Take the 5 yards.

When you are winning by 2-3 scores, you probably aren't going to need the T.O.'s except for challenges.