Discipline (Penalty) issues will cost this team the playoffs

Good win today. But again, I fear that the undisciplined play of this team will cost us what we've been waiting for for 15 seasons.

We can get away with this type of stuff against a team like Miami, but what happens in two weeks against the Pats in Foxborough? Or even Thursday against the Jets who have been playing well?

The offense had and exceptional day today, don't get me wrong, but the unnecessary, inexplicable mistakes by this team really worries me coming down the stretch.

Spero Dedes and Solly even made it a point in the CBS telecast today that neither Rex nor the players even addressed the penalty issue during the bye week.

As I said, there are teams we can overcome this kind of stuff against (Miami), and there are those coming down the stretch that we won't (Pats, Dallas w/ Romo).

This HAS to be corrected if we realistically have a shot in the AFC.

I can honestly say that today, for the very first time, after all of the intolerable unnecessary roughness penalties against Jerry Hughes, I would have screamed at him in front of his teammates and benched him.

It would have been a monumental mistake.

He took over the game after that.

That is not to excuse the inexcusable. Only to say you can only yell at them so many times to not be criminally stupid. Your only other recourse is to bench them. We benched Hughes last year for an entire half for this and did it stop him? No, he got worse.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

All I'm saying is that after 8 games, we've beaten 4 teams we should've beaten, and lost at least 2 games because of this crap. This team, when healthy, is as talented as any in the league. But if the penalty issue is not addressed, this will be the reason we don't make the playoffs. Mark my words...

I can honestly say that today, for the very first time, after all of the intolerable unnecessary roughness penalties against Jerry Hughes, I would have screamed at him in front of his teammates and benched him.

That is not to excuse the inexcusable. Only to say you can only yell at them so many times to not be criminally stupid. Your only other recourse is to bench them. We benched Hughes last year for an entire half for this and did it stop him? No, he got worse.

Seems like something a high school coach would do. These are professional football players and multimillionaires. They need to be coached, not benched. He pushes it to the limit, and sometimes that results in a penalty. A good NFL coach can work with guys like Hughes. An amateur disciplinarian would just bench him because it's easier. Different players require different types of coaching.

Also, his PF today, in my opinion, was a pretty soft call. Typical for an NFL ref though I suppose.

If we had just a couple less injuries, and lowered our penalty numbers by like 25%, we'd be in pretty good shape.

We can control the latter, and hopefully it'll happen.

And not having to play a bad QB in two winnable games

Seems like something a high school coach would do. These are professional football players and multimillionaires. They need to be coached, not benched. He pushes it to the limit, and sometimes that results in a penalty. A good NFL coach can work with guys like Hughes. An amateur disciplinarian would just bench him because it's easier. Different players require different types of coaching.

Also, his PF today, in my opinion, was a pretty soft call. Typical for an NFL ref though I suppose.

Guys get benched all the time in the NFL for taking stupid penalties. Hughes was benched for half a game last year for it. (Marrone never realized his defensive coach did it and didn't get him back in the game until too late)

yep. he's a bully. love 'im. Ingonito, Hughes, Karlos. Nasty,nasty. love it. go bills. its a nasty game.

Another injury to Tyrod would cost us the playoffs as well.

I didn't like the designed QB runs today.

Especially to kill the clock. That gave me the heebee jeebees.

Guys get benched all the time in the NFL for taking stupid penalties. Hughes was benched for half a game last year for it. (Marrone never realized his defensive coach did it and didn't get him back in the game until too late)

It was a pretty obvious call Tanny was out of bounds for 3 seconds than Jerry Hughes runs directly at him while he was out of bounds.

It was plain stupid and a call the refs had to make.

Lovie Smith and Wade Phillips both Yanked players from their games today and sat them down for stupid penalties. Both essentially lengthened drives and cost their team a win. Rex is an enabler, plan and simple, not a disciplinarian in the least. The guys love him because he lets them be !@#$s.

All I'm saying is that after 8 games, we've beaten 4 teams we should've beaten, and lost at least 2 games because of this crap. This team, when healthy, is as talented as any in the league. But if the penalty issue is not addressed, this will be the reason we don't make the playoffs. Mark my words...

You have a case. The Giants game was a mess and one that could have been won without penalties.

Good win today. But again, I fear that the undisciplined play of this team will cost us what we've been waiting for for 15 seasons.

We can get away with this type of stuff against a team like Miami, but what happens in two weeks against the Pats in Foxborough? Or even Thursday against the Jets who have been playing well?

The offense had and exceptional day today, don't get me wrong, but the unnecessary, inexplicable mistakes by this team really worries me coming down the stretch.

Spero Dedes and Solly even made it a point in the CBS telecast today that neither Rex nor the players even addressed the penalty issue during the bye week.

As I said, there are teams we can overcome this kind of stuff against (Miami), and there are those coming down the stretch that we won't (Pats, Dallas w/ Romo).

This HAS to be corrected if we realistically have a shot in the AFC.

I'm starting to just hate the NFL officiating. Their goal should be a zero penalty game.

However it seems like their goal is to have a penalty every play.

Let the players play!

You have a case. The Giants game was a mess and one that could have been won without penalties.

I'm starting to just hate the NFL officiating. Their goal should be a zero penalty game.

However it seems like their goal is to have a penalty every play.

Let the players play!

Except penalties are penalties and all were legitimate. The #'s are staggering. Watch other games and 50% of the penalties.