Defense is still average

You guys can bable on forever - as apparently you will - but the defense stinks, especially the linebackers, and all your bickering between yourselves is just snow on a tv screen. Ryan promised a #1 D and he's got a #16 D. What a friggin surprise, Rex!

Its not just that. The Bills had the #1 defense in sacks, and QB pressures, and now have great difficulty in getting any pressure in the QB! If its a passing league isn't it all about getting pressure on the QB to make him hurry, and thus make him more prone to making mistakes?

The crappy Dolphins offense had 16 first downs passing, and Talleywhacker was sacked 2x by Hughes because he was lined up next to Mario this game. Last year the Bills sacked him 4 times in one game, and 5 in the other.

The Bills have invested 1/4 billion dollars into their front four only to see them more used in gap control instead of rushing the passer. I would think that Doug Whaley, and the new owners are even saying wtf happened to the pass rush!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not just that. The Bills had the #1 defense in sacks, and QB pressures, and now have great difficulty in getting any pressure in the QB! If its a passing league isn't it all about getting pressure on the QB to make him hurry, and thus make him more prone to making mistakes?

The crappy Dolphins offense had 16 first downs passing, and Talleywhacker was sacked 2x by Hughes because he was lined up next to Mario this game. Last year the Bills sacked him 4 times in one game, and 5 in the other.

The Bills have invested 1/4 billion dollars into their front four only to see them more used in gap control instead of rushing the passer. I would think that Doug Whaley, and the new owners are even saying wtf happened to the pass rush!

I don't understand why fans think the only way to stop a passing attack is by sacking the QB.

Right now the Bills rank 10th in opposing QB rating. So...? Seems like quarterbacks aren't nearly as effective as you're making them out to be, comparatively speaking.

They're also tied with the Seahawks at 5th in yards per attempt.

And they're 5th in completion percentage.

They're also 10th in yards per rushing attempt (3.9).

And sixth in rush yards per game.

So...I mean...?

If this is what Rex's ****ty defense looks like when we all think it's under performing....

I think this defense gives us a window

The window is closing a lot faster than fans realize. Kyle will be 33 next year and based on his injuries I doubt he can stay healthy for even 11-12 games, let alone play at a high level. Mario is also on the wrong side of 30. He's certainly not in his prime anymore and on the decline. Ten years on the line takes a heavy toll.

I don't understand why fans think the only way to stop a passing attack is by sacking the QB.

Right now the Bills rank 10th in opposing QB rating. So...? Seems like quarterbacks aren't nearly as effective as you're making them out to be, comparatively speaking.

So...I mean...?

If this is what Rex's ****ty defense looks like when we all think it's under performing....

This is what happens when you draft the DROY at CB. It's not Rex's D.

Tannehill

Game 1 2015 - 26 of 49 297 yards 2 tds

Game 2 2015 - 27 of 36 309 yards 0 tds

Rushing

Game 1 2015 - 102 yards rushing 0 tds

Game 2 2015 - 106 yards rushing 2 tds

Tannehill

Game 1 2014 - 31 of 49 241 yards 1 td 1 int

Game 2 2014 - 26 of 34 240 yards 2 tds

Rushing

Game 1 2014 - 80 yards rushing 0 tds

Game 2 2014 - 125 yards rushing 0 tds

Stats seem similar albeit 130 yards less passing in 2014

Over two games they scored 32 points in 2014, and 31 points scored in 2015

This is what happens when you draft the DROY at CB. It's not Rex's D.

:lol:

Tannehill

Game 1 2015 - 26 of 49 297 yards 2 tds

Game 2 2015 - 27 of 36 309 yards 0 tds

Rushing

Game 1 2015 - 102 yards rushing 0 tds

Game 2 2015 - 106 yards rushing 2 tds

Tannehill

Game 1 2014 - 31 of 49 241 yards 1 td 1 int

Game 2 2014 - 26 of 34 240 yards 2 tds

Rushing

Game 1 2014 - 80 yards rushing 0 tds

Game 2 2014 - 125 yards rushing 0 tds

Stats seem similar albeit 130 yards less passing in 2014

Over two games they scored 32 points in 2014, and 31 points scored in 2015

Shhhhhhhh! Let's not bring actual evidence into this conversation.

As previously suspected, this thread and this overall complaint--for the most part--was an expression of anger and frustration for the sake of expressing anger and frustration.

Nice deflection. I expected the basic "the CB's are being put in positions to succeed" non-answer, and you went with the concession.

Nice deflection. I expected the basic "the CB's are being put in positions to succeed" non-answer, and you went with the concession.

It's not a deflection at all. This entire argument has done a non-sensical circle because it was always based largely on non existent data.

Edited by The Big Cat

It's not a deflection at all. This entire argument has done a non-sensical circle because it was always based largely on non existent data.

It was based on the stats of our defense. What are you even talking about?

Maybe we could talk about the non-sensical argument that had you do a 180 on EJ Manuel because of the third Q of a preseason game.

Edited by FireChan

It was based on the stats of our defense. What are you even talking about?

Maybe we could talk about the non-sensical argument that had you do a 180 on EJ Manuel because of the third Q of a preseason game.

Or because of what players said. But whatever. Making things up to serve a point is why this thread began in the first place.

Or because of what players said. But whatever. Making things up to serve a point is why this thread began in the first place.

Yes, I'm sure that argument had nothing to do with the fact that he was getting the start that week, and like always, a Pro-Bills point is always the correct answer, irrespective of the on-the-field product.

Of course, when players say the defensive scheme sucks, they are just morons. When a WR talks up his only option at QB who has confidence problems, it's because he turned a corner and is really good now, you guys!

Edited by FireChan

So...I mean...?

That's some serious cherry picking. It would be one thing if you left it with the completion percentage and ypa, but to add "yards per game" for rushing and conveniently forget the "24th in yards per game vs. the pass" is disingenuous. And since you brought up the topic of "yards per game" for rushing, how is it overall? How's their 3rd down percentage? How about 1st downs allowed? 1st downs via penalty?

You're giving a very incomplete picture to try and justify your claims that the D isn't struggling. Anybody with eyes can see they aren't producing relative to the talent level. This D isn't bad, they are mediocre, but the talent we've seen on display the past few years tells us they should be one of the best - if not the best - D in the league. That's where the disappointment comes from.

They thought Ty Powell would be getting reps, maybe taking the Mike over?

FWIW.......the Ty Powell talk from Rex was just hot air.

He looked terrible in camp/preseason before his knee injury.

I was as surprised as anyone at how much he talked up Powell in spring so I had to see for myself.

Ive noticed it with then entire D, they just dont sub. Consequently we have a tired DL and tired LBs getting locked up with blockers and missing tackles late in games. With the lack of LB depth I get it, but the DL (when healthy) can be rotated successfully. Im unsure why they dont do it.

Last year nobody on the DL more than 72% of the time, this year there are multiple guys in the 90s and Kyle and Dareus' percentages would be much higher had they not missed games.

I wasn't referring to the lack of substitution.......I meant that it seems that they seem to be either making the tackle, missing it or at least in the picture on every play. Not uncommon at all for every down LB's to play every snap. Kiko played every defensive snap of his rookie season.

I simply don't understand why some fans refuse to acknowledge how one coaching staff can have the #4 defense, and with basically the very same players suddenly become mediocre to bad. Then say that nothing is wrong this year.

The Bills currently 15th in net yards allowed 21st in pass defense, and not because of bad play by the CB's, as the lesser pressure on the opposing QB then longer they need to stay in pass coverage!

Sacks matter, and QB pressures, hits, hurries all matter because the more those things happen the more the QB tries to rush to get the ball out thus the more mistakes they make with the ball.

Eight games played is enough to see a bad scheme, and actually it very noticeable in week two against the Patriots. You know, the one where Brady set a Buffalo Bills franchise worst 466 yards passing by one player. That game the defensive scheme was a soft cover cushion that had the DB's play off the line 10 yards, and the front four got very little pressure on Brady. How little pressure on Brady you ask?

"Rex Ryan, Dennis Thurman and defensive coaching staff: Ryan told his team that this loss was on his shoulders, and so he's a natural place to start in the "down" column. Ryan's defensive game plan couldn't put pressure on Tom Brady-- the Bills disrupted (a sack, batted ball, passed defense or interception) only 9.8 percent of Brady's dropbacks, a lower rate than in any of the Bills' 2014 games -- and he never seemed to have an effective plan for stopping either Rob Gronkowski or Julian Edelman."

We all knew and saw it with George Edwards, with Dave Wannstedt, and we saw the excitement that can come with a heavy blitzing scheme in Mike Pettine. In 2013 under Pettine the Bills had the #10 defense, and #4 in pass defense, #2 in sacks with 57 which were actually more they Schwartz had in 2014 which was 54. Most of us were expecting to see that Mike Pettine blitz heavy defense this year, and it just isn't happening.

The Bills are currently on pace to have a 26 sack season. So why on earth did the Bills just pony up the big money for Dareus, Hughes this year only to see them virtually wasted, and Dareus especially who has only one sack while being used for gap control.

Anyway, Bills fans have a solid reason to be frustrated, aggravated, and concerned about this years defense because most of us expected greatness, and not excuses!