So this was my first NFL game (London)

Repulsif

Hey guys,

2 weeks ago i went to London to see my very first NFL (and Bills) game.

At first i have to say that i thought bills fans only exist in my mind, because i've never (ever) met one until that saturday before gameday. Honestly that was truly shocking.

So much people wearing Bills stuff, ... unreal and amazing !

I was lucky enough to be at regent street near the podium right at the moment Rex and several players showed up.

Then the gameday, from the tube to the stadium, so much nfl and Bills apparel !

A couple of observations about the game since it was my first experience :

- this is "weird" to see players in real world

- game speed (passes and runs) was slower than expected ( it looks quicker on tv )

- I felt there was almost no long interruptions during the game ( = on tv timeouts feel longer )

- The stadium weakening during the "comeback" ( from 10-27 to 31-27 ), the stadium was sold to the Bills fans ; heart and passion was great ; I just wonder how it is at Rich Stadium now.

- my girlfriend who was at the game for me truly enjoyed the game and the whole package, she appreciated the game enough that now she wants to see the game each sunday the Bills play.

- i am !@#$ingly stuck with the Bills ; I can't help it ; I couldn't have that emotion with another team.

Overall it was a great experience, that day was special for me, and it could have been a magical one if the Bill won it !

My GF took some photos of the journey :

https://www.flickr.com/gp/137606823@N06/4UdEf9

Next step, to see a game at Buffalo !

Hey guys,

At first i have to say that i thought bills fans only exist in my mind, because i've never (ever) met one until that saturday before gameday. Honestly that was truly shocking.

I was lucky enough to be at regent street near the podium right at the moment Rex and several players showed up.

- game speed (passes and runs) was slower than expected ( it looks quicker on tv )

- I felt there was almost no long interruptions during the game ( = on tv timeouts feel longer )

- The stadium weakening during the "comeback" ( from 10-27 to 31-27 ), the stadium was sold to the Bills fans ; heart and passion was great ; I just wonder how it is at Rich Stadium now.

- my girlfriend who was at the game for me truly enjoyed the game and the whole package, she appreciated the game enough that now she wants to see the game each sunday the Bills play.

- i am !@#$ingly stuck with the Bills ; I can't help it ; I couldn't have that emotion with another team.

Overall it was a great experience, that day was special for me, and it could have been a magical one if the Bill won it !

75% of the fun in Buffalo is the tailgate. Hope to be there when you travel.

If you ever make it over here for a game (which I highly suggest) you should check out football at different levels. Go to a high school game and a college game while you're here. I think you'll have a new appreciation for the speed that the NFL game is played at. You're right though it does look faster on TV than in the stands. The closer you get to the field, however, the more impressive the speed of the game becomes.

Hey guys,

It wasn't my first NFL game but was my first Bills game live and I am already planning my trip to Buffalo in 2016.

I also share the sentiment about how great it was to see so much Buffalo blue in the stands. Certainly in my part of the stadium we were being very loud on those Jax drives in he 4th quarter.. sadly it wasn't enough but there you go. I was gutted to see us lose.

Hey guys,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos.

I was there as well. I am originally from Buffalo and flew in from Miami (where I live now). I had a great time going to the Arsenal and Bills game (at least until the phantom pass interference call).

I am probably in the minority, but London was a great place to host a game both for the game . . . and, of course, all of the things that London has to offer.

They did a lot of stuff to keep the crowd engaged during TV timeouts. Moreso than I've ever seen at a football game. I'm sure they are concerned about long game stoppages being a problem for Brit fans.

home games are where it's at. no atmosphere like the Ralph on a Sunday, especially if you are a Bills fan. go to one of the first home games of the season. that's when the excitement is at it's highest. that Colts game this year was memorable. probably the most fun we've had in the past 5 yrs or so at least

home games are where it's at. no atmosphere like the Ralph on a Sunday, especially if you are a Bills fan. go to one of the first home games of the season. that's when the excitement is at it's highest. that Colts game this year was memorable. probably the most fun we've had in the past 5 yrs or so at least

Believe me I will be coming early season..... I am not sure I fancy the real cold stuff :cry:

No disrespect to the actual fans who attend those international games but the merchandise on sale within the stadium is 99% teams who are playing - most of your casual attendee wants a Jersey as a memento and will usually buy on. Given the fact the Jaguars have several games in the international series, it would be best served to buy the alternate team jersey as a memento - which in this case was the Bills.

I can't say the support wasn't there for Buffalo because it was, big time! But in all honesty, it pales in comparison to game day at the Ralph.

Believe me I will be coming early season..... I am not sure I fancy the real cold stuff :cry:

Come on Bill, don't be a kitty!

:lol:

No disrespect to the actual fans who attend those international games but the merchandise on sale within the stadium is 99% teams who are playing - most of your casual attendee wants a Jersey as a memento and will usually buy on. Given the fact the Jaguars have several games in the international series, it would be best served to buy the alternate team jersey as a memento - which in this case was the Bills.

I can't say the support wasn't there for Buffalo because it was, big time! But in all honesty, it pales in comparison to game day at the Ralph.

That's not accurate for the London games. The huge merchandise stands outside Wembley Stadium sold all 32 teams, and with the exception of the Browns, I saw multiple jerseys from every team being worn in the stadium. The locals apparently buy the jersey they like best and wear it to any game they go to regardless of the team. The Londoner next to me was wearing a Manning jersey (one of several I saw). A row of people down a bit from us was all in Dolphins gear. It was very different than an NFL game in the US where 95% of the people wear the home team, 5% the visiting team and that's it. Consequently, there's no comparison between the crowd in London and the crows at the Ralph (or any other home team crowd in the US).

Certainly there has been an effort to push the Jags as the local team so there were plenty of people in those jerseys, but it seemed to me that 90% of the people wearing Bills gear at that game were actual Bills fans.

A shout out too for the Ohio State Marching Band. They were awesome. Far better than the crap pop music that has been the pre-game entertainment in previous years and they went down very well with the crowd. We Brits love a bit of pageantry.

i meant to ask how they did?! Good to hear. Always one of the best parts of seeing an OSU game live.

That's not accurate for the London games. The huge merchandise stands outside Wembley Stadium sold all 32 teams, and with the exception of the Browns, I saw multiple jerseys from every team being worn in the stadium. The locals apparently buy the jersey they like best and wear it to any game they go to regardless of the team. The Londoner next to me was wearing a Manning jersey (one of several I saw). A row of people down a bit from us was all in Dolphins gear. It was very different than an NFL game in the US where 95% of the people wear the home team, 5% the visiting team and that's it. Consequently, there's no comparison between the crowd in London and the crows at the Ralph (or any other home team crowd in the US).

Certainly there has been an effort to push the Jags as the local team so there were plenty of people in those jerseys, but it seemed to me that 90% of the people wearing Bills gear at that game were actual Bills fans.

My point was to the propensity of people buying merchandise within the stadium and how it can seem rather biased to a teams support - not the vendors situated on Wembley's concourse or surrounding lots.

Sure there's actual fans that attend, its the only chance a lot of Europeans have the chance to attend a game of any merit and show off their adoration for any respective team. If you go to the Ralph to watch a game you're either there to root for our Bills or the visitor, few are there just to "watch an NFL game".