Ryan Taunting Marrone?

Joe Miner

The Jets are a better team without him and we are less of a team with him. His act is so tiresome and unsophisticated. When your head coach lacks maturity and discipline it is not surprising that he sets the tone that flows down to the players.

One of my favorite head coaches in the NFL is Bruce Ariens of the Cardinals. He doesn't have much of a public persona but he is a football man of substance. He knows how to build a roster and to get the best out of his players. The HCing change with him in place has made a noticeable positive difference.

Rex is a salesman full of a lot of bombast that can dazzle in the interview room. But when it comes down to the serious business of coaching he lacks gravitas. This clown coach was foolish enough to throw barbs at Belichick prior to an upcoming game. The New England HC responded dismissively by saying his record against him spoke for itself.

What is discouraging is that he was not only given a five year deal but he was also given authority to go directly to the owner, bypassing the GM, if he felt there was a need. What were the Pegulas thinking????

:thumbsup: To the first sentence. Telling the world you are going to build a bully is about one of the stupidest things you can say in today's world, as bullies are cowards!

It is indeed discouraging to hear that the Pegula's gave Ryan a five year deal for five million a year. Perhaps it was the same people that gave Doug Marrone a 4 million dollar out clause. Still, they can easily afford to change their minds on this hire at any point.

If i'm not mistaken the hiring of Ryan came from the team CEO telling the new owners that "they" would know who to hire after talking with all the candidates. We know that Terry, Kim, Whaley, and Brandon were all in the room when they hired Rex Ryan.

So, lets just hope after this season that the new owners finally hire that football czar they were about to hire in Bill Polian. Even the NFL prompted the new owners to hire a senior NFL adviser to help guide them in the process of owning an NFL team. I also hope they realize that they just don't have the football knowledge in hiring an NFL head coach or we will see more years like this one. Or worse be the next Washington Redskins. :cry:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jets are a better team without him and we are less of a team with him. His act is so tiresome and unsophisticated. When your head coach lacks maturity and discipline it is not surprising that he sets the tone that flows down to the players.

One of my favorite head coaches in the NFL is Bruce Ariens of the Cardinals. He doesn't have much of a public persona but he is a football man of substance. He knows how to build a roster and to get the best out of his players. The HCing change with him in place has made a noticeable positive difference.

Rex is a salesman full of a lot of bombast that can dazzle in the interview room. But when it comes down to the serious business of coaching he lacks gravitas. This clown coach was foolish enough to throw barbs at Belichick prior to an upcoming game. The New England HC responded dismissively by saying his record against him spoke for itself.

What is discouraging is that he was not only given a five year deal but he was also given authority to go directly to the owner, bypassing the GM, if he felt there was a need. What were the Pegulas thinking????

And just what barbs did Ryan throw at Belichick before the NE game? I recall him saying he respects Belichick, but doesn't fear him. Some reporter asked BB why Ryan has had success against him and then BB mentioned he thought his record vs Ryan was pretty good. Don't confuse some idiot reporter with Ryan. Rex said nothing inflammatory at all. But I guess that doesn't fit the narrative so might as well make stuff up.

And just what barbs did Ryan throw at Belichick before the NE game? I recall him saying he respects Belichick, but doesn't fear him. Some reporter asked BB why Ryan has had success against him and then BB mentioned he thought his record vs Ryan was pretty good. Don't confuse some idiot reporter with Ryan. Rex said nothing inflammatory at all. But I guess that doesn't fit the narrative so might as well make stuff up.

More to the point is what didn't he say. http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/20977/rex-ryans-quips-jabs-help-build-anticipation-for-bills-patriots

What happened next was all his bravado spilled over to the players coming out and stating how much they hate the Patriots. This type of behavior is what fires up an opponent, and is the exact opposite of what Patriots HC Bill Belichick would allow. Yea, lets give the world champions even more reason to want to beat our team.

"Now, Bills players have chimed in and added fuel to the fire."

"Don't nobody likes the Patriots," Marcell Dareus said via Mike Rodak of ESPN. "Let's just be honest about it now. Put it out there."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-new-england-patriots-marcell-dareus-aaron-williams-091515

Do reporters exaggerate and distort comments by the HC? Of course they do. That's what they do. The HCs at the podium and in interviews know how the press work. There shouldn't be any surprise about that.

The real issue isn't about his bombast and his quotable comments---it's how his team plays. They are one of the most penalized teams in the league. His team has a tendency to commit crushing personal fouls and play with an excessive amount of stupidity. You don't think that the coach influences his team with his own lack of discipline and maturity on the sidelines?

Compare how the Jets played for RR and how they are doing now under Todd Bowles? Todd Bowles is less of a colorful personality and quotable HC who prepares his team much better than their former HC who was fired. There is a difference between style and substance. In the end substance will always prevail over a clown act.

More to the point is what didn't he say. http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/20977/rex-ryans-quips-jabs-help-build-anticipation-for-bills-patriots

What happened next was all his bravado spilled over to the players coming out and stating how much they hate the Patriots. This type of behavior is what fires up an opponent, and is the exact opposite of what Patriots HC Bill Belichick would allow. Yea, lets give the world champions even more reason to want to beat our team.

"Don't nobody likes the Patriots," Marcell Dareus said via Mike Rodak of ESPN. "Let's just be honest about it now. Put it out there."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-new-england-patriots-marcell-dareus-aaron-williams-091515

I suppose you ignored the Jets player that tweeted that he couldn't wait to play the Pats last week? Or the Jets DB who said you prepare for Tom Brady the same way you prepare for Kirk Cousins? Imagine if Bills players hat trotted out those gems? Nothing was said that was remotely inflammatory by the Bills. It was overblown media hype and has no bearing on the game. The Pats motivation is to win a championship every year, period. Now it's what Ryan didn't say?

Do reporters exaggerate and distort comments by the HC? Of course they do. That's what they do. The HCs at the podium and in interviews know how the press work. There shouldn't be any surprise about that.

The real issue isn't about his bombast and his quotable comments---it's how his team plays. They are one of the most penalized teams in the league. His team has a tendency to commit crushing personal fouls and play with an excessive amount of stupidity. You don't think that the coach influences his team with his own lack of discipline and maturity on the sidelines?

Compare how the Jets played for RR and how they are doing now under Todd Bowles? Todd Bowles is less of a colorful personality and quotable HC who prepares his team much better than their former HC who was fired. There is a difference between style and substance. In the end substance will always prevail over a clown act.

That sounds good, except that RRs Jets teams were not among the most penalized most years he was there. It also disregards the fact that most of the Bills players who commited PFs this year have a history of doing so in the past , such as Hughes and A. Williams. Did the Bills have tremendous success against NE etc under their many dull and bland HC's. The Jets are better this year because they added much better players in their weakest areas ( Revis, Cromartie, Brandon Marshall, and stabilized the QB with an average guy ( Fitz) so they didn't have to start that dumpster fire Geno Smith. Oh, and they still lost to NE. Their defensive players do tackle much better than the overrated Bills defenders do, even though the Bills D likes to think they are great. Last year the Bills tackling stood out to me. I just don't believe that is on the coaches. Players need to do their job and play better.

That sounds good, except that RRs Jets teams were not among the most penalized most years he was there. It also disregards the fact that most of the Bills players who commited PFs this year have a history of doing so in the past , such as Hughes and A. Williams. Did the Bills have tremendous success against NE etc under their many dull and bland HC's. The Jets are better this year because they added much better players in their weakest areas ( Revis, Cromartie, Brandon Marshall, and stabilized the QB with an average guy ( Fitz) so they didn't have to start that dumpster fire Geno Smith. Oh, and they still lost to NE. Their defensive players do tackle much better than the overrated Bills defenders do, even though the Bills D likes to think they are great. Last year the Bills tackling stood out to me. I just don't believe that is on the coaches. Players need to do their job and play better.

Hasn't Rex coached on the only teams (Ravens, Jets) with 20 penalties in a single game?

Anyone else growing tired of Ryan's bush league antics?

He is not the answer at HC. I don't care how many vehicles he tricks out in Bills colors or how many tattoos he alters to show his loyalty. His teams lack fire and discipline as does he.

GO BILS!!!

I don't think he lacks fire, but yes, it's time for him to go. Already.

The game has passed him by and he is really just a DC, not a HC.

Those quotes didn't mean a thing to the Patriots. They are a well-coached, self motivated group, with a long history of competing at a high level, regardless of any pre-game trash talk.

The problem is with the boasting Bills players themselves, who are trying to convince themselves that they can overcome the Patriots. The empty boasting reveals THEIR OWN insecurity, and lack of focus.

Hasn't Rex coached on the only teams (Ravens, Jets) with 20 penalties in a single game?

I was lambasted by a bunch of posters here when I mentioned that Ryan has problems with penalties. Look at my sig.

Ryan is too emotional.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Time may have passed him by as a DC too. Looks like his Brother has the same problems

Probably gets 2-3 years though. it sucks. he was handed the keys to a

Lot of potential. haven't seen him use it though. The bye doesn't change chit. His scheme is installed there's no big changes coming.

maybe 94 plays DE for the rest of the season.

Those quotes didn't mean a thing to the Patriots. They are a well-coached, self motivated group, with a long history of competing at a high level, regardless of any pre-game trash talk.

The problem is with the boasting Bills players themselves, who are trying to convince themselves that they can overcome the Patriots. The empty boasting reveals THEIR OWN insecurity, and lack of focus.

I lambasted by a bunch of posters here when I mentioned that Ryan has problems with penalties. Look at my sig.

Ryan is too emotional.

Didn't see the Bills players stating their dislike of the Patriots as " boasting" . Just kind of matter- of- fact, definitely not boasting. Nothing to see there.

he may never have been a serviceable HC. and if he was smart, and he is, he would find his next job just like Jim Schwartz did.

Going back to DC where he is very good, as was Jim. That where Ryan does well. he did say this would be his last HEAD Coaching job!!

Its hard to become a HC and then turn back, even if you know yourself it's the right thing to do. he is not a good head coach because he spreads himself too thin and does not let his Defense run itself under Dennis, or who ever. Gailey dd the same thing but other side of the ball

Maybe he should seriously let Thurman run the defense. Its obvious Rex is still calling the defensive side during the game.

Edited by 3rdand12

I lambasted by a bunch of posters here when I mentioned that Ryan has problems with penalties. Look at my sig.

Yes but did you "pwned them", "haze many" or "rape them with your logic"? See my sig.

ya just gotta link that, not fair otherwise Weo

Too many to list. 2013 with the Jets (still beat the Bills), 2005 as DC for Ravens.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Yes but did you "pwned them", "haze many" or "rape them with your logic"? See my sig.

Too many to list. 2013 with the Jets (still beat the Bills), 2005 as DC for Ravens.

nope, thats not effective. I have read multiple times that Rex's jets were not so awful as some have painted.

and to me. it is the timing of the penalty and the type.

Hughes is an idiot and should be sat btw

Anyone else growing tired of Ryan's bush league antics?

He is not the answer at HC. I don't care how many vehicles he tricks out in Bills colors or how many tattoos he alters to show his loyalty. His teams lack fire and discipline as does he.

GO BILS!!!

I think his coordinator hires SUCK!!!!! NEED a real d coordinator. Maybe Pettine when the Browns fire him. And some hot college head coach. Rex is fine. His downfall is gonna be his loyalty.

I think his coordinator hires SUCK!!!!! NEED a real d coordinator. Maybe Pettine when the Browns fire him. And some hot college head coach. Rex is fine. His downfall is gonna be his loyalty.

Bills OC Roman and the offense is not the problem we are currently discussing, and besides he has two very young inexperienced QB's he has to deal with. Losing so many players to injuries, and missing the offensive line coach for the first seven games.

The defense, and Ryan's big mouth is what the issue here is, and its not all about DC Dennis Thurman either because Ryan is the supposed defensive genius. This is his defense we are seeing on the field, and he sets up the games plans.

Rex is not fine as a HC mostly because his entire team lacks discipline, on offense, on defense, on special teams. His team leads the the league in penalties. His Jets team from last year is a better team this year with a new head coach, and they have already gotten as many wins as Ryan did all last year. Ryan himself stated that this is the most talent he has ever had on a defense, and he simply doesn't know how to utilize the players.

The Bills defense was #1 in the NFL in sacks last year, and #2 in the NFL in 2013. This year the team is 27th in sacks, and his defense is just not getting the pressure on the QB that they have the previous two years.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25303009/dareus-williams-join-rex-ryan-in-giving-patriots-bulletin-board-material

To the Bills fans here that just don't get why all the trash talk doesn't work, and in fact motivates the opponent. Ryan did so much trash talk leading up to the Bills- Patriots game that even the players, and fans joined in. After the Indy game fans were chanting we want Brady, we want Brady! Some fan had the Guinness book of records in Buffalo for that game. Stores were selling inflating ball pumps a clear shot a deflategate.

Don't think it mattered to the Patriots or Tom Brady? Brady set a Buffalo Bills franchise worst (in the 55 year history of the team) 466 yards passing allowed by a single player, and the second most passing yards in Brady's entire career. the Bills defense allowed 507 yards of offense, and allowed 28 first downs. "Discipline was also a big problem. The Bills were penalized 14 times for 140 yards."

"And when it came time to have the last word, Brady shrugged by saying he could have done even better."

http://www.wcvb.com/news/tom-brady-throws-three-touchdowns-in-4032-win-over-the-buffalo-bills/35382380

So, if you want to believe that trash talking by a HC at another team doesn't help motivate them to beat you, that's fine. I get it, that you don't get it.