What is going on with this defense

I just think people who say "the defense didn't lose us this game" which I agree it didn't are missing the point. The way this team is built is to WIN on defense and this defense did win us games last year. We gave Aaron Rodgers the ball back with time on the clock and WON... our defense made those plays. This defense didn't lose us the game yesterday but this team needs its D to win it games. And it didn't do it.

So we can flame away about EJ - and with good reason - but that is a short term concern, Tyrod should be back after the bye and he has made fewer big errors and has shown some magic to pull games out. The more fundamental concern about getting this team where I think it could go and where it wants to be is the defense. We can't be a winning football team without our defense winning us games.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our defense wasn't responsible for the pick 6, or the fumble return for a TD. That's 13 points that are on EJ's head. (I believe one PAT was missed on one of those).

Then on the Puz INT, EJ's turnover gave them a short field. Next play - Jax TD. Some of that is on the D, but unless they got a turnover there, Jax would have gotten at least a FG.

Stop those insane mistakes, and The Bills win in a cake walk 31 - 14.

No. Last week EJ didn't lose the game. He didn't win the game either though.

This week EJ lost the game.

Nanker - I don't disagree - EJ lost us the game.

But our team needs our defense to win us games in the situation we found ourselves and it didn't. For the long term success of our season, looking past just yesterday's game that has to be a bigger worry doesn't it?

EJ will be the scapegoat, but really, when the Defense had the opportunity to step up and seal the game, they let the Jags drive 84 yards for the game winning TD. Yes, they did a bunch of good things to get it there, but when most needed, they wilted. Not sure if that's on the Coaches, or players, or both, but in the end, this is just not a very good defense. And that is why the team is 3-4. We all knew the Defense had to carry this team, so when they don't, wins—no matter who is your QB—will be hard to get.

Um, Ask Green Bay about defense, when they gave up 500 pass yards and won. Until you have a QB, you will lose more than you win. End of story. The Defense can not be held accountable for 17 of the points the Offense handed Jacksonville.

Exactly. Defense is OVER RATED in today's league.

Sure you want a decent defense, but the BEST defense is scoring 30+ points and forcing the other team's QB to keep up.

That's how New England* wins. Lots of teams hang with them for a while, but playing them is like playing Madden with your buddy when you were kids.

You score? Good for you, they score too. You score again? Good for you, they score again too.

Eventually you slip up and have to punt and suddenly you're behind to stay. Then you turn it over because you are pressing and you're totally done.

QB and a few offensive weapons are almost all that matters.

If people want to argue the team shouldn't be built the way it is that is a different matter... and is worthy of debate.. however, I would counter that the Seahawks have gone to the Superbowl the last 2 years with one of the lower points per game for and against. Defense CAN win and this team is built in such a way that defense HAS to win for us.

EJ will be the scapegoat, but really, when the Defense had the opportunity to step up and seal the game, they let the Jags drive 84 yards for the game winning TD. Yes, they did a bunch of good things to get it there, but when most needed, they wilted. Not sure if that's on the Coaches, or players, or both, but in the end, this is just not a very good defense. And that is why the team is 3-4. We all knew the Defense had to carry this team, so when they don't, wins—no matter who is your QB—will be hard to get.

We lost turnovers 4-1. We held Bortles (NFL's #7 passer coming into the game) to his worst or 2nd worst game this season. I don't see how you put this on anyone but EJ.

I don't see how you put this on anyone but EJ.

You can't. But that doesn't get you over the question marks on defense. This team is built for them to win on defense. It is built to have the defense on the field at the end of he game and come through and they didn't.

That doesn't make the responsible for yesterday but it does say to me that we can't be a winning football team long term because in order for us to be we need the D to come through in that very scenario. The two things are not mutually exclusive. You can think EJ was terrible yesterday and lost us the game (he was and he did) and still think that final drive tells us bad things about our defense and our outlook for the season.

Edited by GunnerBill

You can't. But that doesn't get you over the question marks on defense. This team is built for them to win on defense. It is built to have the defense on the field at the end of he game and come through and they didn't.

That doesn't make the responsible for yesterday but it does say to me that we can't be a winning football team long term because in order for us to be we need the D to come through in that very scenario. The two things are not mutually exclusive. You can think EJ was terrible yesterday and lost us the game (he was and he did) and still think that final drive tells us bad things about our defense and our outlook for the season.

ON average an NFL team gives up about what 320-330 yards per game, and what 21 points a game? A good defense a little less. EJ Manuel gave the Jags 16 points. This defense played better than average and gave up an additional 17 points, and lost.

Giving up 17 points would put Buffalo at Number 2 in the NFL on average.

The defence allowed a game winning 84 yard TD drive. They allowed a 10 minute drive to start the 3rd quarter when momentum was on the Bills side. The allowed a 73 yard TD drive and couldn't tackle on the short 36 ydard TD drive (twice had runner in the backfield). Three qb hits and 2 sacks (the vaunted line only had one of each) is not the defence Bills fans were led to believe they had.

This was Jax, not NE. The point is you stop them when you have to. Example is NYG, few penalties, took the lead on a 100 yard kickoff return and then held. One brought up GB allowing 500 yards.... Absolutely right, but when SD was first and goal at the 8, they held.

I thought the defense played well and those short yardage plays kept us in the game. But when we needed them at the end of the game they were like swiss cheese. All we have to do is stop Blake Bortles on the final drive, who up until then had done next to nothing. There's no way they will drive down the entire field and get a TD right? We couldn't stop the Patriots on their final scoring drive with a chance to tie up the game down 1 score late but that was Tom Brady and even then it took an amazing catch by Ammendola. But this was the Jaguars. The freaking JAGUARS!!! C'mon defense, that's just embarrassing. Big time players make big time plays when the game is on the line. Apparently, we don't have those types of players on our defense so we will never be a great defense

I thought the defense played well and those short yardage plays kept us in the game. But when we needed them at the end of the game they were like swiss cheese. All we have to do is stop Blake Bortles on the final drive, who up until then had done next to nothing. There's no way they will drive down the entire field and get a TD right? We couldn't stop the Patriots on their final scoring drive with a chance to tie up the game down 1 score late but that was Tom Brady and even then it took an amazing catch by Ammendola. But this was the Jaguars. The freaking JAGUARS!!! C'mon defense, that's just embarrassing. Big time players make big time plays when the game is on the line. Apparently, we don't have those types of players on our defense so we will never be a great defense

Blake Bortles has been really good this year, top ten QB in the league good. Not an excuse, but also not "Chad Henne" or Byron Leftwhich lead Jags

Blake Bortles has been really good this year, top ten QB in the league good. Not an excuse, but also not "Chad Henne" or Byron Leftwhich lead Jags

I don't agree. His stats are artificially inflated because his team is most often losing by a lot and the other team's defense is in prevent and giving the receivers a cushion. He's not terrible but he's not good either. If we are a good team then we stop him on the final drive and we didn't. I'm embarrassed

I don't agree. His stats are artificially inflated because his team is most often losing by a lot and the other team's defense is in prevent and giving the receivers a cushion. He's not terrible but he's not good either. If we are a good team then we stop him on the final drive and we didn't. I'm embarrassed

Exactly. He's a top 10 statistical qb this year because of the garbage time stats.

Rashad Jennings TD, Danny Amendola catch... big time players make big time plays in big time situations. Our defense can play great all day (which they have not done), and if they cannot make the big play when needed most, then they are not dominant/elite.

ON average an NFL team gives up about what 320-330 yards per game, and what 21 points a game? A good defense a little less. EJ Manuel gave the Jags 16 points. This defense played better than average and gave up an additional 17 points, and lost.

Giving up 17 points would put Buffalo at Number 2 in the NFL on average.

Again - I agree. You are missing the point. I am not putting the blame for yesterday on the defense. The blame is on the Quarterback. That is not my point. My point is that the way this team is built the defense is supposed to be on the field and win us games at the end. That is how this team is supposed to win. You might not like that approach, but that is in fact that approach they are going with. Yesterday they had that scenario and didn't deliver. Forget yesterday - because other factors led to the loss.... but take that scenario in isolation and it is an example of how this team wants to win and didn't get it done.

With our starting Quarterback we would have won yesterday but against better teams that scenario will resurface even where our QB hasn't turned it over 3 times and our defense will need to come up big. It is what that last drive tells me long term that most worries me.

JJ Watt..... 2 Sacks, 4 QB hits, more then the entire Bills team. And this was one of their best games!!!!!

So far this season.....

Indy 2 Sacks 6 Hits

NE 2 5

Mia 2 10

NYG 1 1

Tenn 2 7

Cin 0 1

Jax 2 3

11 27

And when you need a play, they haven't delivered. Sorry letting a team go 79 yards and chewing up 10 minutes and then applauding that you stiffened @ the 1 yard line means little.

Edited by Billsfan1972

JJ Watt..... 2 Sacks, 4 QB hits, more then the entire Bills team. And this was one of their best games!!!!!

And when you need a play, they haven't delivered. Soory letting a team go 79 yards and chewing up 10 minutes and then applauding that you stiffened @ the 1 yard line means little.

Umm JJ watt plays for Houston, who gave up 46 yesterday, to Miami......

Edited by CountDorkula