Streaming of the game?

valle7878

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my only other concern/complaint was i could not rewind/re watch key plays or pause to get a slice of pizza etc.

it like i was back in the 80s running to the bathroom during the commercial breaks

Well you see, grandpa, if you only had a top end Cyberpower PC with octo core i7 CPU running the latest debian linux distro and Matroska, you could have just paused the live stream DUH

Well you see, grandpa, if you only had a top end Cyberpower PC with octo core i7 CPU running the latest debian linux distro and Matroska, you could have just paused the live stream DUH

cool, can you help me set that all up because when i paused to see what would happen going through my xbox i got kicked out and had to re-enter

I had several issues with the image freezing during the game, going back a few seconds for some reason, blanking out, etc... However, my biggest issue was I could not get the picture on my 75 inch Samsung smart TV because of some kind of flash issue, so I had 5 people watching the game on my laptop, which basically sucked.

cool, can you help me set that all up because when i paused to see what would happen going through my xbox i got kicked out and had to re-enter

yeah i was being an ass. The notion that I should have to do anything beyond turning the TV on in order to watch a football game is just stupid. It's fun for script kiddies to waste time like that, but if you have a life and responsibilities, watching a game should be the escape from tedium, not a conduit to more of it

yeah i was being an ass. The notion that I should have to do anything beyond turning the TV on in order to watch a football game is just stupid. It's fun for script kiddies to waste time like that, but if you have a life and responsibilities, watching a game should be the escape from tedium, not a conduit to more of it

agreed- way too much of a pain in the a$$

i've gotten spoiled with a dvr and the ticket- watch when i want, start the game an hour late after finishing up yard work etc. fly through the commercials and half time, re-watch key plays in frame by frame slo mo and get caught up with the live feed by midway through the 4th quarter

this was unbearable at times

it will take a few years for technology to catch up for this to ever be the new business model for the nfl

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/yahoo-nfl-streaming-bills-jaguars-score-streaming-buffering-yahoo-exclusive-rights-fees-london-review-first-time. I think this review sums it up nicely. "it's was not as good as tv". plus the money implications are clearly spelled out.

Why does anything happen in business? Money. The loot. Gettin’ paid. Though none of the major NFL network deals are up until 2021 (MNF on ESPN goes through then, the NBC, Fox and CBS packages go through 2022), this mostly successful telecast gives the NFL huge leverage the next time they go to the negotiating table. It’s not rocket science: Whenever there are more potential bidders, it’s good for the party auctioning things. And for a first try, this worked well and is only going to get better. Yahoo! proved that it, Google, Netflix, Amazon or whoever, could do this right now. And with that Thursday Night Football package that’s with CBS on a year-to-year basis right now, don’t be shocked it the courtship between the NFL and the Internet becomes more serious very soon..

Edited by birdog1960

I actually think it does mean it was a failure. it seems a significant percentage of viewers had problems. if Netflix had a similar percentage (based solely on anecdotal reports, I admit) how well do you think their biz model would be doing? I vudu offered conversion of your dvd's to hd and stored them digitally for you and they played back poorly for a sizeable number of customers, how doi you think that would work out.

I'm a bit of a video hobbyist so the little things matter to me. as a sports fan, the issues involved in sports broadcast especially interest me. the video equipment and broadcast tech of just a few years ago had great difficulty resolving fast moving golf balls and hockey pucks (my gold standards for resolution and video processing). now, they do it damn well. but if a finite number of viewers can't reliably watch a slow moving football on a broadcast, then that's a fail. I just hope the pga or nhl don't decide to try google anytime soon.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a failure.

I'm not sure what your expectations were but this was a first step and I'm thinking the folks in the executive suites at Yahoo are probably pretty happy with results - even if the ad revenue was lower than a typical game and the stream was less than flawless.

Yahoo is looking at this as a precursor to a bright future with the NFL.

As Tom Edison once said, "Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward..."

I'm not sure this qualifies as a failure.

I'm not sure what your expectations were but this was a first step and I'm thinking the folks in the executive suites at Yahoo are probably pretty happy with results - even if the ad revenue was lower than a typical game and the stream was less than flawless.

Yahoo is looking at this as a precursor to a bright future with the NFL.

As Tom Edison once said, "Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward..."

I expected better quality. simple as that. I thought the technology was further evolved. it's clearly not. but it's about money as always and I don't doubt that the nfl and the company that wins the bidding war to regularly stream games will conclude it's good enough for now for all of us lowly fans.

Edited by birdog1960

of course they are. the owners just made millions more.

For those that didn't have a good experience, it would be worth the time to send a quick e-mail to the NFL and maybe yahoo so these issues can be worked out since they're likely to do more of this in the future

won't make a bit of difference. i'm sure all of the players that will eventually bid will be motivated to do better however. it's still likely to go to the highest bidder regardless of the quality they can deliver.

Right, talking down to me about the difference between a bit and a byte is a solution. It's a solution on par with "The buffalo bills would be a better team if they had a good quarterback"

That anybody who paid for the Sunday ticket, but could not view this game via the Sunday ticket for *any* reason makes it a bad overall experience. But hey, the NFL got paid, so I guess yaaah?

Easy now, I apologize if I offended you. But I was responding to your comment that you had a 30+mb down, which nowadays IMO, is not much especially for streaming HD content from the internet. Many people that I have spoke to, (not you), think they are actually getting 30mbytes of download data etc.

Edited by Buff the Cat

Easy now, I apologize if I offended you. But I was responding to your comment that you had a 30+mb down, which nowadays IMO, is not much especially for streaming HD content from the internet. Many people that I have spoke to, (not you), think they are actually getting 30mbytes of download data etc.

If you live in an older house (which I do) and you have a **** provider for internet (which I do), you're penalized with this model. Not that the NFL cares. They haven't given a **** about the average fan for about 20 years now. It's all about the rich, and the would-be rich for them.

from a nerd site: 54% of tweets on stream quality were negative. http://digiday.com/brands/despite-technical-problems-15-million-people-watched-yahoos-nfl-live-stream/

"Fifty-four percent of the tweets during the game were categorized as negative, according to data from Brandwatch. Some of that conversation centered around people complaining about the stream not being TV-quality, including freezing or jumping."

Edited by birdog1960

from a nerd site: 54% of tweets on stream quality were negative. http://digiday.com/brands/despite-technical-problems-15-million-people-watched-yahoos-nfl-live-stream/

Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Doesn't mean 54% of viewers had a negative experience.

Folks who weren't having a problem are much less likely to share with the world their positive experience than those having a negative

Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Doesn't mean 54% of viewers had a negative experience.

Folks who weren't having a problem are much less likely to share with the world their positive experience than those having a negative

Agreed. Also, on another note how much of the negative viewing experience is due to poor ISP's, overloaded nodes, and/or viewer over-expectations due to a lack of tech-know how etc., etc.