The Whaley / Ryan / Dareus disconnect

Simply put, the scheme currently implemented does not fit our personnel. Against the Bengals, one play, Dalton had 10+ seconds to throw the ball and completed to Green after Darby tracked him over 30 yards. We are not getting pressure on the QB. Plain and simple. Especially for this line and defense which barely blitzed last year and managed the amount of sacks it did.

I think I know the play you're talking about. I watched it on nfl.com after I saw someone else commenting on it yesterday.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015101804/2015/REG6/bengals@bills?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo|contentId%3A0ap3000000560145&tab=videos

At 3:36, 3rd and 7 on the drive that salted it away for the Bungles, we do something very strange. We have 3 guys sort of rushing and 3 linebackers who all stay about 5 yards down field. Sort of a spy package on Dalton I guess. None of the LBs EVER go after Dalton and he's able to find the WR. Amazing.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone watching our defense now.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes -exactly. Add to that the poor man's Russel Wilson at qb. TT has all the talent and heart, except he is too small to withstand an NFL pounding and as a result, will never last. That is the reason he was a 6th round draft pick and why he will be on IR before the season is out. He reminds me of Steve Tasker when Tasker played wideout toward the end of his career. Tasker had abiltiy and could make plays, but he was injured all the time because he was too small to play wideout (I am not referring to his special teams play). Absolutely the only thing Whaley has been right about is that we are in purgatory -- even if they should get rid of Rex after this year, he has a five-year contract and a huge salary -- I can't see even the rich as Croesus Pegulas taking that kind of financial hit. The reality is that we have entered yet another 5 year tear down/rebuild with mediocre parts/fail/tear down/rebuild cycle. Whaley has made critical blunders with EJ, the Watkins trade (you make a poor quaterback great by mortgaging the future for a wideout the quaterback will never be able to utilize well?), a huge investment in a d-line that is being mis-used, etc. How long before all the sketchy characters on this roster revert for form?

You're logic in the first couple sentences prevented me from reading the rest... Russel Wilson is 5' 11". Tyrod Taylor is 6' 1".

Edited by Meatplow

Sad to hear.

Why is the owner hiring the Head coach?

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Neither Rex or Whaley impress me. Whaley took EJ in the first when people had him going later, trading up in the best WR draft in years was moronic. We will be up against the cap next year....go check it out, it aint pretty. Could have holes at LT, Incognito is on a one year deal, hole at LB, Just like years before when we switching to and from a 4/3-3/4 were doing the same thing now with Rexs hybrid scheme that isnt working, team discipline is atrocious, were on pace to break the single season penalty record. 5 of the next 7 on the road, losing record at home. This team's got problems.

yet with all that, only 9 teams in the NFL have a better record than Buffalo.

i get that, but let's give it a few weeks? i am as underwhelmed with the start of the season as anyone, but I would like to see how the coaching staff adjusts to recent developments before i declare them incompetent. Their losses are to 2 QBs with 6 rings combined and another who has torn the Bills up every time he's played them and put his team in the playoffs every year of his career. people love to bash Dalton, but they also conveniently ignore how bad the Bengals were before they drafted him.

everyone's pining away for the return of Jim Scwartz, but his defenses sucked the hog against Rivers and Brady early last season. Or have you forgotten?

and sorry, the idea that an owner shouldn't be allowed to hire his own head coach is laughable....no matter what you think of whaley's judgment (which I admit I'm suspicious of).

Whaley's job is built over several years. He has done a decent job in amassing a solid roster. He attempted in free agency to bolster his offense with free agency as we were limited in the draft this year. What QB option did we have that we didn't take?

The problem is simply Rex is coaching his defense based on fitting plays to his scheme vs. him adapting to the players strengths and employing a system to maximize their talents. That's it.

The offense is limited due to injury. They put up a lot of points in the beginning of the year. Name another team with this many marquee players out. That is why surviving this week with a win is so important and the bye is sorely needed. we have to hope we have most back.

i get that, but let's give it a few weeks? i am as underwhelmed with the start of the season as anyone, but I would like to see how the coaching staff adjusts to recent developments before i declare them incompetent. Their losses are to 2 QBs with 6 rings combined and another who has torn the Bills up every time he's played them and put his team in the playoffs every year of his career. people love to bash Dalton, but they also conveniently ignore how bad the Bengals were before they drafted him.

everyone's pining away for the return of Jim Scwartz, but his defenses sucked the hog against Rivers and Brady early last season. Or have you forgotten?

and sorry, the idea that an owner shouldn't be allowed to hire his own head coach is laughable....no matter what you think of whaley's judgment (which I admit I'm suspicious of).

Underwhelmed? This years defense was supposed to be record setting great, and not record setting bad!! 466 passes by Brady set a franchise worst in the 55 year history of the team all because of the lame soft cover defensive scheme.

C'mon man when every player on the D line is complaining of how they are being miss used this season then you know you have a major disconnect on defense.

As for the owner picking the HC when said owner had just bought his first NFL team, and has had no prior experience in any aspect of the NFL besides watching TV like the rest of us. Clearly the man didn't become a billionaire making stupid decisions, and I have a hunch he will rectify the situation by hiring someone with actual NFL experience in such matters. He should have done that to begin with, and was told he could do it.

Marrone quit because he asked for extensions for him and his staff and was denied by Pegula.

GO BILLS!!!

I personally know of three other teams that had him rated as a late first round pick leading up to the draft; Jaguars, Chargers, Eagles.

From the Senior Bowl, through the combine, and especially in personal interviews, Manuel's trajectory steadily rose. Indeed, nobody's rose faster or higher. This idea that nobody had him rated in the first round is revisionist history, Jerry Jones' opinion notwithstanding.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Talk about revisionist history. Your personal knowledge of the inside decisions of multiple NFL teams is impressive. Yet they all selected before Buffalo and passed on EJ. Guess they really thought he was really worth a first round pick, as long as it wasn't theirs. Luke, DJ & Lane say hello.

Or they meant really, REALLY late first round!

Talk about revisionist history. Your personal knowledge of the inside decisions of multiple NFL teams is impressive. Yet they all selected before Buffalo and passed on EJ. Guess they really thought he was really worth a first round pick, as long as it wasn't theirs. Luke, DJ & Lane say hello.

Or they meant really, REALLY late first round!

There were strong rumors that teams after making their first round pick were going to jump back into the first round with trade deals. I distinctly recall that the Eagles were a team considering that option. As you well know on draft day rumors are floating all over the place. Some have merit, some don't and some teams float rumors to deliberately deceive and mask their real intentions.

You're logic in the first couple sentences prevented me from reading the rest... Russel Wilson is 5' 11". Tyrod Taylor is 6' 1".

Hate to burst your bubble Mr. Uber-Logician. But "size" factors in not only height but build. Compare Wilson's build (thick, muscular) with Taylor's and therein lies the problem. Need I note he is out again this week? He does not have the build to take an NFL pounding and therein lies the problem with an otherwise really promising quarterback.

Yes -exactly. Add to that the poor man's Russel Wilson at qb. TT has all the talent and heart, except he is too small to withstand an NFL pounding and as a result, will never last. That is the reason he was a 6th round draft pick and why he will be on IR before the season is out. He reminds me of Steve Tasker when Tasker played wideout toward the end of his career. Tasker had abiltiy and could make plays, but he was injured all the time because he was too small to play wideout (I am not referring to his special teams play). Absolutely the only thing Whaley has been right about is that we are in purgatory -- even if they should get rid of Rex after this year, he has a five-year contract and a huge salary -- I can't see even the rich as Croesus Pegulas taking that kind of financial hit. The reality is that we have entered yet another 5 year tear down/rebuild with mediocre parts/fail/tear down/rebuild cycle. Whaley has made critical blunders with EJ, the Watkins trade (you make a poor quaterback great by mortgaging the future for a wideout the quaterback will never be able to utilize well?), a huge investment in a d-line that is being mis-used, etc. How long before all the sketchy characters on this roster revert for form?

This is a great post. I agree with Yoli completely. The Bills need to resolve the QB position and the EJ Manuel pick set this franchise back years. Those who think that TT is the answer are crazy. He is a great athlete who can make exciting plays. But, it's one step forward and one step back with him because he counterbalances those great plays with an inability to throw out of the pocket and his exciting running plays also get him hurt (now missing the last 2 games). This pattern will continue if TT continues to be the QB, an awe-inspiring run and pass on the run followed with inconsistency and injury which is what I have been saying from the beginning. EJ Manuel was a total reach as he never showed in college an ability to throw accurately, yet we picked him 16th in Round 1. While he is certainly big enough and has a strong arm, he also will never be a legitimate QB because he does not have the proper feel for the game and accuracy in his throws. Add to that the fact that our key playmakers who are taking up huge cap hits are always injured (McCoy, Watkins, Harvin) and the fact that our OL is mediocre at best, and you have no real Offense. We have to hope that Rex Ryan can figure out what to do on Defense as we are just too talented to keep playing like we have and that we can somehow get a QB who is at least serviceable in the off-season. Otherwise, the Defense will be past it's prime is a couple of years and we will be right back where we started.

Hate to burst your bubble Mr. Uber-Logician. But "size" factors in not only height but build. Compare Wilson's build (thick, muscular) with Taylor's and therein lies the problem. Need I note he is out again this week? He does not have the build to take an NFL pounding and therein lies the problem with an otherwise really promising quarterback.

Uber-Logician? I like that... It's called Google... Check it out http://google.com

If Pegula's fire Whaley instead of Rex they will be the laughingstock of the league, seriously. Whaley will be hired by another team in about 10 seconds. I'd can Rex if anyone, bring in Schwartz to run the D, and promote Roman to HC and let him bring in whatever OC he thinks fits. Scoring 21 points against a great D with your only one of your great starters (McCoy) playing the entire game is impressive. Roman had a great game plan, not sure why Rex or Thurman decided to play prevent all game.

Schwartz would not come back short of the HC job. And, he didn't get it the first time around. He is collecting $3mil this year for not coaching (thanks Kim and Terry) and, I think, again next year as well. Schwartz is sitting in an unpaid league job waiting for a HC gig. Roman working for Schwartz, theoritically possible, at least, not vice versa.