EJ Maneul stinks out loud.

ScrewyLouie

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was so critical then why did our quarterback throw six yards short of the sticks on 3 and 11?

Amen. That play sums it up. Receiver never had a chance surrounded by three defenders. EJ Blows. Desperately need a 1st down and he vomits that 6 yard pass. As I have said in previous threads EJ looks good against backups and third string players. Why? Because he is a third string QB. (Well not in Whaley's Opinion) He is IMO!

That's correct, because you know quite well it's completely impossible to provide "evidence" of an alternative reality. Please.

Sure, so then continue to ignore the reality we did witness: four straight three and outs in the first half. There's a thing called opportunity cost, but it requires you to imagine what might have happened, a thousand apologies if that lift is too heavy.

It was first and 20 from the 25. Third and 11 from the 34, hardly heels on the endzone.

But, again, if they do ANYTHING in the first half, they're not in this hole to begin with.

You've provided zero evidence that the fourth quarter scrambled couldn't have been avoided.

No evidence of the fourth quarter scramble being avoided? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Which is probably for the better as we are talking past each other. I will just say it is a bit more nuanced than simply, "EJ sucks."

Apologies for the confusion on the yard markers. I got my holding penalties confused. The holding penalty on the KO gave us a drive start at the 14, while the one on Woods a few plays later put us on the 24. A bit more room, but a first and 20 is still not a given. I can at least understand erring on the side of caution with so much time remaining in that situation. Sure seems like you expected a lot out of the very QB you say sucks, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Sure, so then continue to ignore the reality we did witness: four straight three and outs in the first half. There's a thing called opportunity cost, but it requires you to imagine what might have happened, a thousand apologies if that lift is too heavy.

So does that mean TT stinks out loud too? Because we've seen loads of 3 and outs with him too. Yet he's considered the savior and EJ a bum. There appears to be a double standard here.

Amen. That play sums it up. Receiver never had a chance surrounded by three defenders. EJ Blows. Desperately need a 1st down and he vomits that 6 yard pass. As I have said in previous threads EJ looks good against backups and third string players. Why? Because he is a third string QB. (Well not in Whaley's Opinion) He is IMO!

I've seen TT throw short of the sticks on 3rd down as well. In fact, I've seen pretty much every QB in the league do it. If it's not there down field they throw short and hope their guy can break a tackle or make a play instead of risking a turnover. It's what they're supposed to do. If they didn't want QBs throwing short of the sticks to be an option the WR wouldn't run a route short of the sticks. It's a check down that's supposed to be there just in case.

Now, if someone can provide proof that another option was open on that particular play then THAT is the criticism, not throwing short of the sticks.

But don't let these things get in the way of a could old fashion witch hunt.

No evidence of the fourth quarter scramble being avoided? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Which is probably for the better as we are talking past each other. I will just say it is a bit more nuanced than simply, "EJ sucks."

Apologies for the confusion on the yard markers. I got my holding penalties confused. The holding penalty on the KO gave us a drive start at the 14, while the one on Woods a few plays later put us on the 24. A bit more room, but a first and 20 is still not a given. I can at least understand erring on the side of caution with so much time remaining in that situation. Sure seems like you expected a lot out of the very QB you say sucks, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Admittedly, I did expect a lot.

Then he proved he still sucks.

So does that mean TT stinks out loud too? Because we've seen loads of 3 and outs with him too. Yet he's considered the savior and EJ a bum. There appears to be a double standard here.

I've seen TT throw short of the sticks on 3rd down as well. In fact, I've seen pretty much every QB in the league do it. If it's not there down field they throw short and hope their guy can break a tackle or make a play instead of risking a turnover. It's what they're supposed to do. If they didn't want QBs throwing short of the sticks to be an option the WR wouldn't run a route short of the sticks. It's a check down that's supposed to be there just in case.

Now, if someone can provide proof that another option was open on that particular play then THAT is the criticism, not throwing short of the sticks.

But don't let these things get in the way of a could old fashion witch hunt.

It's only a double standard if I let Tyrod Taylor off the hook for the same stuff.

I don't.

HOWEVER--I don't think K-9 is sitting here telling us that defeat is a foregone conclusion heading into the fourth quarter if TT is the QB.

And that's a sentiment I'd share.

And that's the difference between him and EJ, right now.

That's where we differ. TT only had the opportunity to make plays vs. the Titans because the D held them to 13 points. Without that, there was no comeback. To think he could somehow will them to score more than 31 points is a fantasy. Aaron Rogers would have had a tough time bringing his team back minus his top two WRs. TT is no Rogers.

Edited by MDH

That's where we differ. TT only had the opportunity to make plays vs. the Titans because the D held them to 13 points. Without that, there was no comeback. To think he could somehow will them to score more than 31 points is a fantasy. Aaron Rogers would have had a tough time brining his team back minus his top to WRs. TT is no Rogers.

He came damn close against NE. But I understand your point.

HOWEVER--I don't think K-9 is sitting here telling us that defeat is a foregone conclusion heading into the fourth quarter if TT is the QB.

Right because EJ hasn't proven to have 4th quarter comebacks ......do you actually listen to yourself.....such a double standard. Good thing everyone didn't think like that about drew brees...or about 1/2 the really good qbs cuz they all stunk their first few years in the league and most of them had better coaches and played all the games in their first 2-3 seasons.

I can THINK a healthy TT would have made a big difference early on, but that is conjecture, especially in light of his play in the first three quarters in the previous two games. TT also would have been down to having the seventh WR on the depth chart to throw to as well.

I am stating unequivocally that he wouldn't have brought us back from being down 20 in the fourth quarter. That is rarified air for even the greatest QBs.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Mccoy played

Woods Played

Watkins Played

Which key personnel were out, other than the starting QB?

Percy Harvin

Karlos Williams

Aaron Williams

Leodis McKelvin

Marcos Easley (ST)

Edited by ALF

Right because EJ hasn't proven to have 4th quarter comebacks ......do you actually listen to yourself.....such a double standard. Good thing everyone didn't think like that about drew brees...or about 1/2 the really good qbs cuz they all stunk their first few years in the league and most of them had better coaches and played all the games in their first 2-3 seasons.

Double standard? What the hell are you talking about? When did EJ ever have a fourth quarter comeback of 10+ points to win? The Bills were down 10 when TT scored their first TD with 1:29 to go in the third. I understand TT's technically never had one, but in a smaller sample size, he's at least shown the capacity to do so.

To K-9's point, a 17 point 4Q comeback is exceedingly rare. I acknowledge that.

TT's skills at least give you a fighter's chance. I don't know what parallel universe you've been living in, but in zero of EJ's 15 starts has he shown the capacity to take over games and be electric. It's simply never happened. He had one game-winning drive against the Panthers in his second career start. A drive that was sustained thanks to a negated interception on a VERY generous PI call. So there's that.

With his top two WRs and his right tackle.

I wasn't outright disputing his point.

Percy Harvin

Karlos Williams

Aaron Williams

Marcos Easley (ST)

Missing A Williams hurts. I would have liked to see him on that bomb by Dalton. Might have helped. Heck, it took a great play by them even as it was.

GO BILLS!!!

Percy Harvin

Karlos Williams

Aaron Williams

Marcos Easley (ST)

Neither Williams hasn't played with TT much either. Neither has Harwin. He's played hurt or been out all year. Easley the same.

So actually EJ had more weapons than TT in most of his games.

EJ did ok for a backup. Now he did his job and didn't completely sh*t the bed as the backup. Now he needs to go back there. Because if he is the starter fulltime because TT is hurt, we are picking top 10 in draft next year