Source: EJ Manuel to start Sunday for Tyrod Taylor

YoloinOhio

If Manuel plays, it'll be interesting to watch. The Bills' passing game so far has been predicated on pushing the ball down the field via medium-deep and deep throws (hence Taylor's very high ypa), and Manuel was I think the least accurate QB in the NFL last year on those sorts of throws. I wonder what the plan will be against Cincy. They'll need to score with some frequency to have a chance, and the run game will likely be underwhelming given the injuries.

He looked markedly improved in that aspect in the preseason and in fact better than Taylor. Hopefully we'll see continued progression if he has to play until Tyrod returns to health.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you have a mobile QB and carry only 2 on the roster then you need to answer why? Same thing at running back . You have no chance at success having to pull a skill position off the streets during the season.. Yet we find a roster spot for a second kicker. Teflon Doug Whaley....

I am actually in support of two kickers. Anything to help the FG kicker focus more on kicking FGs. I think this week's games showed the importance of kickers. There were like 3 games that went into overtime this week, some of which included clutch FG kicks of 40+ yards

Depends upon how you categorize "success story". If you define it as multi-game positive contribution, and limit it to guys just on the current roster, then you could list all of:

Dan Carpenter

Kraig Urbik

Stefan Charles

Bacarri Rambo

MarQuies Gray

Fred Jackson

Flutie

He looked markedly improved in that aspect in the preseason and in fact better than Taylor. Hopefully we'll see continued progression if he has to play until Tyrod returns to health.

Agreed. Preseason is different though, as we all know. Like I said, it'll be interesting. The other concern I have is his inability to keep the sack rate down - he was pummeled repeated in a couple of the preseason games. Taylor also takes far too many sacks (a 9.3 percent rate now), but he compensates a bit for it with the big runs. EJ, while hardly a statue, isn't especially mobile.

In any event, if he plays I'll be paying close attention to the accuracy on throws 15+ yards down the field.

not good if they are looking at Week 7 also, but hopefully just a charade.

Fred Jackson also, right?

Yes. Steve Tasker too, if you want to go way back in time. George Wilson is another.

Smokescreen....

Imo

Sorry, but you said that Watkins was going to play against the Giants and that he was basically fine.

@VicCarruci: #NFL source: "Apparently Tyrod Taylor is hurt pretty bad." #Bills checked passport status of potential QB additions for Week 7 London trip.

http://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/653975202838282240

i don't really read too much into that as it relates to to hurt TT is. Checking passport status of anyone they sign right now should be standard procedure as they have an international game coming up in 12 days. Edited by YoloinOhio

Yes. Steve Tasker too, if you want to go way back in time. George Wilson is another.

Sorry, but you said that Watkins was going to play against the Giants and that he was basically fine.

No I did not. But you said Shady would be back in a few days. Which was wrong.

See how foolish the strawman argument is? Stick to topic, mcbride.

Imo

Imo

No I did not. But you said Shady would be back in a few days. Which was wrong.

See how foolish the strawman argument is? Stick to topic, mcbride.

Imo

Imo

Wtf?? When did I ever say anything about McCoy's return? (hint: never). The reason I never offered a prediction is because I have (and had) no idea.

As for Watkins, yes you did say it: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/181388-watkins-injury-update-post-em-here/?p=3703048 .

Edited by dave mcbride

If Taylor can play Sunday, I am all for starting him- then I think we should start EJ in London, that would let Taylor rest for 3 weeks and be ready for Miami.... Who knows, maybe dress Taylor and start EJ against Miami too..... Last think I want is a QB competition midway through the season, but if they are both playing well- you could have worse things!

I am concerned about Tyrod's injury status, I am also confident that EJ can step in and perform adequately if Taylor misses time.

I know I am in the minority, but I still have faith in EJ. The coaches seemed to be helping him improve are his areas of weakness. If he has to step in and play, I expect him to perform well enough in the offense to put the Bills in position to win games.

If Taylor can play Sunday, I am all for starting him- then I think we should start EJ in London, that would let Taylor rest for 3 weeks and be ready for Miami.... Who knows, maybe dress Taylor and start EJ against Miami too..... Last think I want is a QB competition midway through the season, but if they are both playing well- you could have worse things!

I'm not the least bit concerned about the QB controversy at this point. Tyrod has shown why he was picked. Now if EJ plays a game or two and looks great, then Tyrod comes back and struggles, you might have something. But I'm not looking that far into the future.

Sometimes I wonder why I even read forums about the Bills.

With quality posts like this, anyone reading it is thinking the same thing. Thanks for the input.

Wtf?? When did I ever say anything about McCoy's return? (hint: never). The reason I never offered a prediction is because I have (and had) no idea.

As for Watkins, yes you did say it: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/181388-watkins-injury-update-post-em-here/?p=3703048 .

Youre right, Dave. My bad. Must have forgot I typed that.

The prediction was an example of a strawman argument to how ridiculous it is. Must have confused you with another member.

You are correct.

Imo

Depends upon how you categorize "success story". If you define it as multi-game positive contribution, and limit it to guys just on the current roster, then you could list all of:

Dan Carpenter

Kraig Urbik

Stefan Charles

Bacarri Rambo

MarQuies Gray

stretch further and you even see guys like chandler, who while not a world beater, was a solid player.

Youre right, Dave. My bad. Must have forgot I typed that.

The prediction was an example of a strawman argument to how ridiculous it is. Must have confused you with another member.

You are correct.

Imo

No problem. I wanted you to be right about Watkins! Have you heard anything about his health?