NFL Fighting Against Using Vines and GIFs of Game Action

It's shortsighted. The use of short clips creates more interest in the game of football and beyond that it IMO is well within the boundaries of fair use.

True. Also, the NFL-run accounts are like an hour late to post anything, unlike the real-time user created gifs and vines.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gifs/vines + All-22 video (+ social media and message boards) have changed the way fans interact with the game, for the better.

And forced sports writers to elevate their game. Just as important. (Pete Prisco writes some readable things when he is reviewing game film but is otherwise useless. Peter King is no longer required reading and I wonder how much he really knows about the game.)

The NFL ought to recognize that there is money to be made by encouraging this deeper engagement with the game. You don't lose money by encouraging people to consume your product in new ways.

Imagine if GM had discouraged young men from taking their Chevies apart and putting them back together in the 1950s. Yeah you don't want to foster the idea that a better car can be built on weekends in a garage than the factory's engineers could build. But they were still buying Chevies.

kj

And now cracking down on eye black honoring the memory of a parent lost to cancer. Nice work, NFL.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25339472/cam-heyward-nfl-fined-me-for-honoring-father-on-eye-black

They also wouldn't let DeAngelo Williams wear pink all season to honor his mother who succumbed to breast cancer in 2010.

Gifs/vines + All-22 video (+ social media and message boards) have changed the way fans interact with the game, for the better.

And forced sports writers to elevate their game. Just as important. (Pete Prisco writes some readable things when he is reviewing game film but is otherwise useless. Peter King is no longer required reading and I wonder how much he really knows about the game.)

The NFL ought to recognize that there is money to be made by encouraging this deeper engagement with the game. You don't lose money by encouraging people to consume your product in new ways.

Imagine if GM had discouraged young men from taking their Chevies apart and putting them back together in the 1950s. Yeah you don't want to foster the idea that a better car can be built on weekends in a garage than the factory's engineers could build. But they were still buying Chevies.

kj

This is assuming they want better informed fans.

The better informed the fan, the more he realizes the commentators are wrong a lot and the more he questions penalties and sees certain star players as overrated. I think the NFL's goal is to keep fans as uneducated about the game as possible.

Jerks. I can't even find a Thurman Thomas highlight vid on youtube anymore.

This is exactly their motive. They want you to have to come to them for anything related to the game. The problem with this is that they lack any type of coherent system to find such things, so they are effectively just blacking it all out.

The gifs would almost certainly be fair use. This is just like them putting the whole "This telecast is copyrighted by the NFL for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this telecast or of any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the game without the NFL's consent, is prohibited."

You absolutely can use portions of the descriptions and accounts of the telecast (note: they're talking about the broadcasters..not some random person describing the game) under fair use.

I'd be happy if they would stop the major websites (nfl.com, fox, cbs, espn, etc) from having videos autoplayed. At work some sites are not supposed to be visited due to the video bandwidth and I needed to strip out as many video formats as I could out of Chrome but I can not stop all. The gifs and mini-clips used by vine have very small bandwidths.

You would think that this might be the NFL still being bitter about the blackout ruling.

I'd be happy if they would stop the major websites (nfl.com, fox, cbs, espn, etc) from having videos autoplayed. At work some sites are not supposed to be visited due to the video bandwidth and I needed to strip out as many video formats as I could out of Chrome but I can not stop all. The gifs and mini-clips used by vine have very small bandwidths.

You can disable auto play in chrome by changing your settings.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2858421/how-to-stop-autoplay-videos.html

Granted it disables it for all websites. I tend to use one browser for work and another for "work".

Edited by The Wiz