Week 6: Bengals' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@NWSBUFFALO

One last warm (yet breezy) day today. Turning cool to end the week and much cooler by the weekend!

CRHLPWEWgAARWMs.png

@Local12Skinny

#Bengals 5th Quarter Analysis: Game balls; grades; good; bad; key numbers; more http://bit.ly/1LCtXKU

CRFlCSnW8AAMSDb.jpg

Is There A Limit On Awarding Game Balls?

Since the NFL adopted its current playoff format in 1990, roughly 40% of the teams that started the season 5-0 advanced to the Super Bowl.

Yeah, yeah, I know…let’s see the Bengals win one playoff game before we start talking about getting to Santa Clara in February. But if you’re 5-0 and able to rally from 17 points down in the fourth quarter against the “Legion of Boom”, you are capable of making a Super Bowl run.

What stood out to me after Sunday’s remarkable come-from-behind win over Seattle was the sheer number of players that were worthy of receiving game balls. Such as…

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'm guilty of looking ahead a bit to this game, because of how interesting I find the match-up between Cinci's pass catchers and Buffalo's DBs.

If there's every been a game to match corners against specific receivers, this would be it. Gilmore needs to be in man coverage on AJ Green. He's the only guy that has the size-speed combo to keep up with Green. I'm fine with Darby on the other boundary against Sanu or Jones; that's a match-up he can win consistently. I worry about Robey in the slot, so I would expect to see the LBs in some short zone coverage to help him out.

If I were Rex, I'd play mostly Cover-1 with Graham as the deep safety, and use Aaron Williams (if he's healthy) to cover Eifert. If Williams can't go, the best option aside from him might be Manny Lawson.

Either way, I want straight man coverage on their top 3 options, with some interior zone mixed in if/when Robey needs help. If Gilmore/Darby/Robey/Aaron can handle the top 4 with Graham over the top, that leaves 6 to focus on the backfield.

Bengals are getting put on a pedestal which means they're ripe for a fall. Granted they are a tough team, but so are we. Back when Rex had the jets clicking this is the kind of game they'd show up for. I see him cooking up a great defensive game plan this time too. Offense will have to contribute more no doubt, can't just leave the defense stranded for the most part like yesterday. But overall I have good feeling we pull off an upset here (Bengals will be favored by kickoff)

Edited by JTSP

I'm guilty of looking ahead a bit to this game, because of how interesting I find the match-up between Cinci's pass catchers and Buffalo's DBs.

If there's every been a game to match corners against specific receivers, this would be it. Gilmore needs to be in man coverage on AJ Green. He's the only guy that has the size-speed combo to keep up with Green. I'm fine with Darby on the other boundary against Sanu or Jones; that's a match-up he can win consistently. I worry about Robey in the slot, so I would expect to see the LBs in some short zone coverage to help him out.

If I were Rex, I'd play mostly Cover-1 with Graham as the deep safety, and use Aaron Williams (if he's healthy) to cover Eifert. If Williams can't go, the best option aside from him might be Manny Lawson.

Either way, I want straight man coverage on their top 3 options, with some interior zone mixed in if/when Robey needs help. If Gilmore/Darby/Robey/Aaron can handle the top 4 with Graham over the top, that leaves 6 to focus on the backfield.

It's going to be a great matchup! Can't wait to see it unfold.

I have a hard time understanding that line! Did they not see that offensive debacle in Tennessee? Our offensive line? 2 straight losses at home? Down to off the street running backs? Cinci scoring like crazy? It just makes no sense to me. I don't bet but if I did i'd be all over Cinci. Is that really what they are trying to push people to do?

Seems that way no

Bengals are getting put on a pedestal which means they're ripe for a fall. Granted they are a tough team, but so are we. Back when Rex had the jets clicking this is the kind of game they'd show up for. I see him cooking up a great defensive game plan this time too. Offense will have to contribute more no doubt, can't just leave the defense stranded for the most part like yesterday. But overall I have good feeling we pull off an upset here (Bengals will be favored by kickoff)

Well, we have the horses defensively to match up against them.

They have a very good offensive line (save for center Russ Bodine, who is average), very good RBs, very good pass catchers, and Dalton. It's a tall task, and I think they'll get their points.

Buffalo needs to exploit Cinci's LBs, who aren't anything special. Clay should be worked in early and often (not dissimilar to the Miami game plan), and getting Sammy back would be enormous, as they have a good-but-not-great secondary.

Well, we have the horses defensively to match up against them.

They have a very good offensive line (save for center Russ Bodine, who is average), very good RBs, very good pass catchers, and Dalton. It's a tall task, and I think they'll get their points.

Buffalo needs to exploit Cinci's LBs, who aren't anything special. Clay should be worked in early and often (not dissimilar to the Miami game plan), and getting Sammy back would be enormous, as they have a good-but-not-great secondary.

I think we'll defend their run game better than the 5 teams theyve faced, making them somewhat one dimensional (I say somewhat given their weapons to throw to). But now its even more on dalton, not buying that he's turned the corner and is now elite....not buying it all. IMO he's up for a bad game against a good defense playing at home. Looks like he's trying to throw it where only the WR has a chance and theyve been making plays for him. If he ends up being even a little off, he can get picked. We'll see how the lovefest he's having with their OC holds up then. Edited by JTSP

I watch every Bengals game in entirety at my friend's house while the Bills are on the Directv online feed so I have "some" credibility with Cincinnati.

We need to double-team AJ Green. With Eifert being healthy finally, he's very dangerous.

Tyrod will need to be careful when running.

If we can get Sammy and Karlos back and we play like we did against GB last year (with way better QB play) we can compete.

I have a hard time understanding that line! Did they not see that offensive debacle in Tennessee? Our offensive line? 2 straight losses at home? Down to off the street running backs? Cinci scoring like crazy? It just makes no sense to me. I don't bet but if I did i'd be all over Cinci. Is that really what they are trying to push people to do?

vegas burned by the ginger too many times

They are going to run the same offense the Giants and patsies did. Short quick throws...

They're going to try running the ball early and often. Watching the All-22 of the Bengals and so far against the Ravens there is a ton of runs on 1st and 2nd down. I don't think Dalton has the ability to do what Brady and Eli did.

They're going to try running the ball early and often. Watching the All-22 of the Bengals and so far against the Ravens there is a ton of runs on 1st and 2nd down. I don't think Dalton has the ability to do what Brady and Eli did.

Hill and Bernard are a nice RB duo.

@theMMQB

.@SI_PeterKing's MMQB column is up, leading with the heroics of the Ohio quarterbacks: Josh McCown and Andy Dalton. http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/12/nfl-week-5-monday-morning-quarterback-peter-king

Elsewhere in Ohio…

The MMQB had Robert Klemko on site at Seahawks-Bengals, and he’ll have a detailed report from Cincinnati on Tuesday. This morning, I want to focus briefly on the progress of the Bengals.

Simply, Sunday’s game was not one this team would have won in the past three or four years. I wrote about the Bengals—specifically, Andy Dalton—on Friday in my Game Plan column, and said there were four reasons why Dalton was playing at the highest level of the position, in the rarified air to be able to compete with Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Dalton has a tight end he trusts, Tyler Eifert. He’s tremendously more accurate and confident on his deep balls, in part a result of working so hard to refine his mechanics; he’s tightened them up, made them more compact, and all without compromising on his deep balls. The depth of his offensive weapons is as good as any quarterback has in football. And the Bengals have good team shrinks for Dalton, pumping him up when so many in the public are down on him for his 0-4 playoff record.