Bills Among NFL's 1st Quarter Disappointments

They were never in the Pats game, and while I hate to say it, they have shown nothing to suggest they are in the Pats league (yet). And they were pretty soundly beat by the Giants. They mounted comebacks in both, but the games were never seriously in doubt.

I can't agree with you on the Giants game. If Bradham comes under control and makes the tackle on Jennings, the Bills get the ball back trailing 16-10 with almost 8 minutes left in the game.

Perhaps we aren't good against teams coming off 10 days rest?

Titans had a whole extra week coming off their bye....should we be worried?

I am concerned. Only difference between the Titans and the first two teams the Bills faced with extra time is staff and QB.

I think the Bills can win a tough game, but now is going to be harder if Karlos can't go

i wonder if deflate-gate and Pats other legacy issues had them deciding to tone down the pats hype, at least during regular season. yeah its still there, but IMO a little more toned down than usual. but of course they wont stop shoving cowboys in our face 24/7 ... the most boring overhyped team in sports

Teams in "New York City" and other teams with large followings like the Cowbois will always get undue amounts of media attention. Soon we can add LA teams to that mix. The national sports radio guys have to dizzy with anticipation for that addition. Just watch how suddenly everyone starts talking Raiders once they move.

What I don't agree with is basing our disappointment on the wins we've had. Not saying they weren't impressive wins but Miami may be the worst team in the league and Indy, aside from Luck, may be second worse.

Yep. But on the other hand, the Cheatriots are clearly the best team in football so far, and the Giants (who really ought to be 3-1) are one of the pleasant surprises this year. I think we can handle Tennessee and a rookie QB. Assuming we keep sputtering along -- beating up weaker teams, struggling against good ones -- the true tests will come when we play the other middle of the pack teams like the Jets and Chiefs, the teams we have to get past to grab a wild card.

Disappointing not because of the 2-2 record but because they've displayed the talent to be championship contenders but have cost themselves two games by playing and coaching like idiots.

Agreed. The way they lost was more disappointing than anything.

Mental mistakes, lack of discipline, poor execution, questionable game planning. Those are self-inflicted wounds in a league where there is little margin for error from week to week...

This season is coming down to our opponent's ability to run an offense where they can get the ball out in 1.7 seconds at a hurry-up pace. If they can't do it, they are most likely to lose to the Bills (assuming we don't self-destruct with penalties). The blueprint to bypass our defense is out there. The Bills success going forward is tied to making adjustments on defense to defuse these tactics. We'll see just how creative Rex can be.

This season is coming down to our opponent's ability to run an offense where they can get the ball out in 1.7 seconds at a hurry-up pace. If they can't do it, they are most likely to lose to the Bills (assuming we don't self-destruct with penalties). The blueprint to bypass our defense is out there. The Bills success going forward is tied to making adjustments on defense to defuse these tactics. We'll see just how creative Rex can be.

We have already seen how creative he can be, the answer is very. What we will see now is how effective he can be. So far that answer has been not very.

And they were pretty soundly beat by the Giants. They mounted comebacks in both, but the games were never seriously in doubt.

They were not soundly beat by the Giants.

They were soundly beat by themselves.

In fact, I would argue it's probably easier to correct this ship than many believe, but in the end, this team is not good enough YET to win consistently when its #1 WR and RB are not playing.

We looked bad on Sunday - but please take a deep breath - let's see what happens over the next three weeks. We must go 2-1 and hopefully 3-0 - Must wins are Tennesseee and Jacksonville. If we can beat the Bengals at home - then all is well. At 5-2 with only one conference loss ( division game against NE) we are in control of our own playoff destiny. However, if we fall to 3-4 then all bets are off and the playoffs could be in jeopardy. We need to get though the next three weeks without any more significant injuries and get Sammy and Shady healthy - we still have no real idea how good the offense can be due to the injuries. At 5-2 with a bye week and getting healthy for the second half of the season - we could make a serious run for a top spot and remove the "disappointing" tag. It all starts this Sunday - and it is looking like we will be short handed again on offense.

Disappointing? How? Sure, the defense has been a disappointment. The offense has been a pleasant surprise. The results are as any rational person should have expected after the first 4 games on the schedule. In fact, if you were just going with the favorites in each game (pre-season) you'd have predicted an 0-3 start with our first win coming last week at home vs. the Giants. We are what we are -- one of those middle of the pack teams still right in the middle of the playoff hunt, but clearly not in the league of the elite teams.

mi

IMHO, it's not a matter of the overall record after the first 4 games, but the manner & trends that make up the first 4 games; a perfectly scripted & executed home opener vs. Indy, followed by the overhyped tire fire vs. NE; then the near perfect beatdown of an overwhelmed Miami team, followed by another mental meltdown vs. the Giants. A very schizophrenic team so far which must get fixed.

They were never in the Pats game, and while I hate to say it, they have shown nothing to suggest they are in the Pats league (yet). And they were pretty soundly beat by the Giants. They mounted comebacks in both, but the games were never seriously in doubt.

I agree they didn't have the game plan to beat NE anyway, but the manner they conducted themselves in that game was very disappointing and seems to have carried over (penalties, etc) to the next two games; especially the Giants game, which featured bad play calling, more dumb penalties and mental mistakes against a team they clearly should have beaten.

I would have signed up for 2-2 in a heartbeat before the season. But if you told me then how well Taylor was going to play and how overrated Miami and Indy were, I would have not been happy for anything less than 3-1.