New Replay Rule

RyanC883

I was thinking after the game yesterday, that perhaps replay should be expanded in the following way:

Any team that has a TD called back due to a penalty should be able to use a challenge to confirm whether the penalty actually took place. This would have netted us 1-2 additional TD's yesterday.

I was thinking after the game yesterday, that perhaps replay should be expanded in the following way:

Any team that has a TD called back due to a penalty should be able to use a challenge to confirm whether the penalty actually took place. This would have netted us 1-2 additional TD's yesterday.

How do you implement a replay for a judgment call by an official on a penalty?

You don't.

/thread

I've thought about this. Holding is either holding or it's not. It's not really a "judgment" call. A chop-block likewise is not a "judgment" call. A facemask is not a judgment call. Oftentimes refs think they see one thing, throw the flag, but what in their judgment they though happened didn't. Sure, there are some judgment calls as to whether a holding call was egregious enough to warrant being called, etc., but if the penalty was committed the call would stand.

Replay sucks just as badly as the rest of the officiating. Really worked great on the Giants' non-touchdown. <_<

I wish they'd scrap the entire thing.

Replay clearly gets things wrong from time to time, generally when replay forgets that the call on the field should get deference. Looked to me in the Saints game that Ingram had a TD, but that got overturned.

I've thought about this. Holding is either holding or it's not. It's not really a "judgment" call. A chop-block likewise is not a "judgment" call. A facemask is not a judgment call. Oftentimes refs think they see one thing, throw the flag, but what in their judgment they though happened didn't. Sure, there are some judgment calls as to whether a holding call was egregious enough to warrant being called, etc., but if the penalty was committed the call would stand.

Replay clearly gets things wrong from time to time, generally when replay forgets that the call on the field should get deference. Looked to me in the Saints game that Ingram had a TD, but that got overturned.

You can't be serious. These types of calls vary greatly from crew to crew in the NFL.

Then why only review plays that result in TDs? Why not those that resulted in turnovers? Or failed 3rd down conversions?

There is no logical endpoint to your review scenario. Fans have always complained about the quality of refereeing--and always claimed "it's getting worse". But look who is all alone at the top of the list of accepted penalties in the NFL. It's not a conspiracy (unless you count a conspiracy of dunces...).

How do you implement a replay for a judgment call by an official on a penalty?

Well...I doubt they ever will...

But clearly there are really bad judgement calls that cost teams TD's...So I wish there was something that could be done...The speed of the game is a big issue on these calls...Both the penalties that cost the Bills TD's yesterday looked legit live at full speed...But the replay showed differently...And that's pretty tough to swallow...Especially on a long TD play like the Clay pass when you're not exactly knocking on the door...That was a huge play...But anyway... B-)

I think it's a very obvious thing to do.

Right now the most vulnerable area to fixing games is calling penalties on crucial plays. Whether you agree that it's done or not, I think people should acknowledge THAT is the way it would be done IF it's done.

They should implement reviews for that reason alone.

Only TDs and turnovers.

Then only 3rd downs.

Then all downs.

Then...let's just watch golf.

I don't wanna hijack the thread, but on a related note, I think refs shouldn't be allowed to pick up flags.

You threw the flag, so you live with the call. Maybe you won't be so trigger-happy next time.

Only TDs and turnovers.

Then only 3rd downs.

Then all downs.

Then...let's just watch golf.

I don't wanna hijack the thread, but on a related note, I think refs shouldn't be allowed to pick up flags.

You threw the flag, so you live with the call. Maybe you won't be so trigger-happy next time.

I haven't seen a lot of talk about the picked up roughing the passer call. Not one but two Giants hit Taylor well after he threw the ball. They pick it up because our player "pushed" them into Taylor.

I wish I could find a good GIF of that call. It was ridiculous.

You wanna really open up the offenses and neuter the refs? Take away holding on the line. Who cares about it. Let the d lineman deal with it. Games would be better for it and the refs wouldn't have a trump card every time. Holding calls are a bane on the game.

I think that it would help speed up the game & reduce holding penalties if Guards & Tackles had to wear gloves similar to a boxing glove. I know - it sounds silly but think about it. They at least wouldn't be able to do the grabby, clutchy holds.

I haven't seen a lot of talk about the picked up roughing the passer call. Not one but two Giants hit Taylor well after he threw the ball. They pick it up because our player "pushed" them into Taylor.

I wish I could find a good GIF of that call. It was ridiculous.

Second time it's happened this year in the first 4 games.