How Do We Convince Roman To Stay?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Roman can take a HC job and still "honor his contract", as I'm fairly certain his contract has an out for a HC job. And while it isn't obvious to many, Marrone also "honored his contract" as his contract allowed him to opt out.

All I'm saying is a head coaching job may not be worth it as it can lessen your value in the league. Although DM technically honored his contract the way he left spoke volumes to the league. If it wasn't for his buddy giving him a job he would be coaching outside of the NFL.

Show him the numbers- coordinators that become head coaches usually wind up back where they started.

Yeah like Billycheat, Rex, Tomlin, etc

doesn't mean we tell the league he is the next coach. Bring some other coaches for interviews and then hire Roman

That is cheating and could lead to draft pick losses; I do not think the Pegs will play it that way.

Seriously, though, are people really going to be stressing out about Roman's job status for the next 14 weeks??

Of course. We're Bills fans. We also can't enjoy weekends, because they end with having to go back to work on Monday.

is it cruelty, generosity, or merely indifference that compels gods to transform yesterday's villain into today's hero, and today's hero into tomorrow's fool?

i'm enjoying watching Roman work, but reactions such as this topic, remind me of this Warren Buffett quote ~ "Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked."

of course the flip side to this, is that when the tide's in - no one cares.. see K. Gilbride. ;)

Promote him to assistant head coach / OC and show up at his house with a brinks truck?

Exactly. You also have to scare him away from dumpster fires like Cleveland. He has to make the move at the right time, to the right organization, with a QB or #1 pick. Otherwise, he's just shooting himself in the foot. (At least, that's what I'd be telling him!).

Ask Doogie Moron being a HC may not be all that it is cracked up to be. (Even with a 4 million dollar parachute). I think DM's reputation has taken a huge hit in the eyes of players and management. Maybe Roman's aspirations following a strong year with the Bills will be to return, honor his contract and bring us a championship.

He won't need to "honor his contract and bring us a championship." He will need to "honor his contract and defend the championship by repeating!"

Yeah like Billycheat, Rex, Tomlin, etc

That is cheating and could lead to draft pick losses; I do not think the Pegs will play it that way.

No. Like JIm Schwartz, Josh McDaniels, Chan Gailey, Marc Trestman, Todd Haley, Pat Shurmer, Mike Shula, Norv Turner, Romeo Crenell, Wade Phillips, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Gregg Williams and Dave Wannsteadt.

Edited by jethro_tull

Change the jumbotron at the Ralph so that it only shows Roman Numerals :w00t:

But in all seriousness, while Roman's impact has been incredible and it would hurt to lose him next year I might suggest that we can still have a successful offense even if he leaves. To be honest if TT really is as good as what he's shown so far and if Karlos Williams can keep running the way he has I really think the offense shouldn't miss too much of a beat if Roman leaves.

That is a problem I will love to have at the end of the season- if teams are beating down the door to interview him for HC, it means we probably finish top 10 and make the playoffs. If that is how it goes down, I really don't think he will want to leave. He took a lot of crap from 49'ers fans and critics about his performance in SF so I can see him sticking around here and being successful. He will be rated as one of the best OC's in the league if he is able to take a Tyrod Taylor led offense deep into the playoffs.

The Bills also have an ace up their sleeve: Terry Pagula. He has proved that money is no issue when acquiring & retaining talent. I'm sure he will have no problem matching & adding 10% to whatever offer Roman might receive.

you can't

why would any coordinator turn down a potential to be the head coach? Come on, that's the goal for these guys. To be the guy in charge.

If Roman leaves, you say thank you and promote whoever was his top assistant and then hope for some consistency.