Who's going to be the first coach fired this year?

BmarvB

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, Philbin's a done deal after this. It's just a question of who's taking over after the firing, and if the DC still has a job next week.

firing a coach mid-season is more of a symbolic gesture. One or the other will go but no both. They still need some type of organization to finish the season

Yeah and then all of a sudden you can win some games with an interim coach, think he's the answer and next year be in the same position. You're just to limited in selection with mid season hires, as you said it's just a statement, but doesn't help the team, could even hurt your position in the draft if the new guy wins a couple or so.

firing a coach mid-season is more of a symbolic gesture. One or the other will go but no both. They still need some type of organization to finish the season

Philbin talks to Dolphins owner after latest loss

LONDON -- Despite another unenthusiastic start to another Dolphins' loss, it appears the team could be on the verge of another week without any major changes in the organization.

Head coach Joe Philbin said he spoke to owner Stephen Ross after the game, while noting he is not concerned about his job security in the wake of the conversation. Philbin also said he has no intentions of firing defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle, who has come under intense public scrutiny due to a lack of early success from his high-paid defense.

"Nope, not at all," Philbin said when asked if he's worried about being fired. "I'm worried about getting this team straightened out, fixed and getting our team ready to play the Tennessee Titans."

I know for sure our Special teams coach should be fired. After we scored in the 4th quarter, we kicked off, the Giants returner let the ball come out to tge 2 yard line and bobbled it and still found a way to get to the 28 yard line. I was expecting an Easley tackle or something but that kid can't do everything himself. Coaching on special teams definitely is a concern of mine for this team.

@OmarKelly

The Sun-Sentinel can confirm Joe Philbin has been fired and Dan Campbell is the interim coach of the #Dolphins.

@AdamSchefter

Dolphins officially have fired Joe Philbin, as Sun-Sentinel reported.

The Dolphins had to make this move after the last three weeks of putrid performances.

@Rand_Getlin

One #Dolphins player told me 80% of the players stayed awake for at least half the flight home from London talking about their situation.

@NFL

Dolphins will fire head coach Joe Philbin (via @RapSheet): http://on.nfl.com/1OhU8NC

CQkLmVVWEAAn32r.jpg

I have to wonder if the DC is out too.

@FieldYates

The Patriots hired Bill Belichick in 2000. The other 3 AFC East teams have had 21 head coaches combined since that time.

@apoupartFins

Stephen Ross statement on firing of Joe Philbin Read: http://tl.gd/n_1snjj1e

Stephen Ross statement on firing of Joe Philbin

“This was a tough decision for me to make knowing how tirelessly Joe worked in his four years here to make this a winning team. He is a man of the highest character and integrity that I developed a close personal relationship with. I am extremely disappointed with how we have started the season, but I feel confident that we can improve quickly with the talent we have on our roster. We will soon be announcing an interim coach to lead the team going forward.”

@RapSheet

The expectation is that embattled defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle will head out the door with former #Dolphins coach Joe Philbin

:lol:

@alexmarvez

It's times like this I turn to my trusty coffee mug @MiamiDolphins

CQkKkpJUAAAaDXA.jpg

@JennyVrentas

One of oddest things to me re:Joe Philbin is that, per Philbin, Stephen Ross told Philbin he'd be back as HC in '15 in mid-Nov last year.

"Right before we went to Denver," Philbin recalled this summer. "I was surprised." Dolphins were 6-4 then. Then they lost 4 of their last 6.

Think it was strange timing—why make that decision then, rather than see how rest of the season plays out? And be in a pickle next Oct.

That didn't take long. We saw it coming.

From a mile away!

@MiamiDolphins

We have named Dan Campbell interim head coach. https://cards.twitter.com/cards/btiww/10qtf

Campbell's Live Presser: http://www.miamidolphins.com/index-live.html

Good Luck!

@NFL

Interim @MiamiDolphins HC Dan Campbell might look familiar: Seasons: 10 Receptions/Yards: 91/934 Receiving TD: 11

CQklDqoUwAQgigP.jpg

@Gil_Brandt

Last time interim NFL coach went to playoffs was 1961. Wally Lemm replaced Lou Rymkus (1-3-1) and won final 9 games, Oilers won AFL title.

Good luck Dan! You better get Suh on board!

@judybattista

"We need to change the culture..." Campbell said that a second time. Wants very competitive practices. "Can't just go thru the motions."

Campbell's resume is awfully light for a HC. From the Fins press release:

PRESS RELEASE: Dolphins Name Dan Campbell Interim Head Coach

Posted 36 minutes ago

Campbell has served as Miami’s tight ends coach for the past five seasons.
The Miami Dolphins have named Dan Campbell interim head coach, the team announced today.

Campbell has served as Miami’s tight ends coach for the past five seasons. He originally joined the Dolphins prior to the 2010 season as a coaching intern/offense.

Campbell joined the Dolphins after 11 years of playing experience with the New York Giants (1999-2002), Dallas Cowboys (2003-05), Detroit Lions (2006-08) and New Orleans Saints (2009). A third-round selection of the Giants in the 1999 NFL draft, the former tight end appeared in a total of 114 games with 75 starts and caught 91 passes for 934 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Campbell attended Texas A&M where he was a four-year letterwinner and agricultural development major.

Campbell's resume is awfully light for a HC. From the Fins press release:

PRESS RELEASE: Dolphins Name Dan Campbell Interim Head Coach

Posted 36 minutes ago

Campbell has served as Miami’s tight ends coach for the past five seasons.
The Miami Dolphins have named Dan Campbell interim head coach, the team announced today.

Campbell has served as Miami’s tight ends coach for the past five seasons. He originally joined the Dolphins prior to the 2010 season as a coaching intern/offense.

Campbell joined the Dolphins after 11 years of playing experience with the New York Giants (1999-2002), Dallas Cowboys (2003-05), Detroit Lions (2006-08) and New Orleans Saints (2009). A third-round selection of the Giants in the 1999 NFL draft, the former tight end appeared in a total of 114 games with 75 starts and caught 91 passes for 934 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Campbell attended Texas A&M where he was a four-year letterwinner and agricultural development major.

They probably selected him because he has a pretty long tenure with the team.

@RapSheet

#Dolphins interim coach Dan Campbell immediately brings up the money owner Stephen Ross has spent on this team. Money is all over this move

If I'm a Dolphins player watching this, I probably take notice: Practices are going to get real. Seems things have been a little soft.

@OmarKelly

"Dan Campbell certainly is a candidate for the permanent job," Steve Ross about Dan Campbell. He talked to Bill Parcells about it.