2014 vs. 2015 defense

Coach55

Better Defense  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be the better defense?

• 2014 under Schwartz
    • 2015 under Ryan

After watching two games now, I am starting to believe that removing Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator is going to be a major mistake. Overall, I think this team under Ryan is going to be a better team than last year. But signs in the first 2 games is showing that the Bills defense is going to be worse.

As much as I am disappointed in the performance of the defense against New England, I am actually more nervous about the Indy game. New England blew us out, yes, and Brady scorched our secondary, however Belichick couldn't have tailored a better gameplan to completely neutralize our D-Line. Credit has to be given.

The bigger concern I have relates to week 1. Yes we won and yes we held Indy to under 300 yards of offense. However, Ryan consistently sent 6-7 guys and left our corners in tight man coverage (who performed admirably I must say). Even late in the game, Ryan continued to dial up the blitzes. Yesterday, he tried the same and for the most part Brady was releasing the ball in under 2 seconds, not giving the rush a chance to materialize. This type of consistent blitzing is flashy and fun to watch when it works, but when it doesn't we are going to be massive susceptible to big plays.

Last year, Schwartz created a defense that created massive turnovers and a phenomenal pass rush by only rushing 4 and dropping 7 into coverage. When you have 7 guys in coverage, the QBs have to take that additional second to make a decision, thus that is why we had all of the sacks as well as the turnovers.

I hope that I am wrong and that Ryan's defense proves superior, but I really think we are going to see a dropoff in interceptions, sacks and an increase of 20+ yard plays against when all is said and done.

I don't forget - nor do I think that it is beyond the realm of possibility that Brady is just so good he could beat whatever we throw at him.... but I hated the game plan and the scheme yesterday. Hopefully our defense the rest of the way soon has me loving it but man I hated yesterday,

Oh how quickly people forget.

October 12, 2014 Week Six: New England Patriots at Buffalo Bills – Game summary

T.Brady 27-37, 361 yards, 4 TDs, 139.6 Qb rating

And the Pats didn't punt in the 2nd half of that game.

This game was close at half but the Pats took off after a big play to Tyms for the TD over Gilmore. The D was there all day though. Much better than yesterday.

you guys do realize we just played the 2 best offenses in the AFC right? after that the rest of our schedule is going to be a cake walk in comparison. expect our defense to start putting up some dominating numbers

I hope you are right. Just a little worried.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright - chalk up another loss to our inept defense. Manuel was no prize, but our lack of pass rush and inability to stop a 3rd down is getting ridiculous. We went from a premier defense under Schwartz to one that is average at best...

In general this year our defenders seem to be in a position to make plays pretty often, but we have been plagued with poor tackling. They also seem to be a bit slower, but I believe that is a byproduct of them learning a new system and thinking, which will go down and improve with time.

Schematically we are not creating any pressure on the QB. The defense almost seems to be vanilla at times. No exotic blitz packages like everyone expected or anything like that. We had a lot of sacks under Pettine and even more under Schwartz. This year? Not so much. I think we have a team total of 9 through 6 games. We have a secondary that can hold up imo so we need to cut these guys loose. Not sure what Rex is trying to accomplish here, but guys who weren't as highly touted as Rex have shown better with basically the same players.

Edited by H2o

From the outside I didn't think the Bills defense that year was all that good. I must be in the minority. I don't know about the stats but they didn't seem to make the plays to win the games they needed to win. KC, and Miami I think were big games for playoff contention and gave up huge 3rd downs and backbreaking TDs.

Edited by Cleveland Rocks?