The NFL has changed so much--FIRE ROGER GOODELL

ThurmasThoman

The Bills lost what should have been a devastating divisional game today, but Roger Goodell has run this sport so far into the ground, that honestly, it doesn't even move the needle for me.

Not to steal Bill from NYC's thunder, but my thoughts on the game?

We lost to the defending Super Bowl champions, but they've been punished for cheating so many times that I don't even know what it means to "lose" to them. Or I should say, they've been found guilty of cheating so many times--but we're all still waiting on the punishment.

We scored 32 points (should have been enough to win), and our world class defense could do nothing against them. I mean, absolutely nothing. It's almost like they knew what we were going to do on defense all day, as if they had hacked our computers, or listened in on our radio signals. I have no idea. They did lose 2 fumbles though, so obviously they can't deflate balls anymore. The last time the Patriots were punished for cheating, they doubled down and went 16-0, and only lost 1 game: the only game they played on a neutral field all year. It looks like it's happening again. It's either the most poorly written WWF script in history, or the most blatant cheating in history. Either way, the disconnect between what my eyes are seeing and what my brain knows is so large that it makes the act of watching the game unbearable.

Speaking of unbearable: holy penalties. Were they undeserved? I have no idea, CBS showed 0 replays. I know Sammy got flagged for a New England corner falling down, and Rex took a 15 yarder for saying the F word? Or something along those lines? I lost track once the total amount of penalties got over 20. Ticky tack calls all day in a violent sport.

Speaking of violent: Roger Goodell is such an incompetent manager of this league, that now no one, from announcers to fans to players, know how to react to "big" hits. Throw a flag for a late hit on Taylor, then pick it up. Players taken out of the game for "concussion protocols". Answer me this: how can the fastest growing sport in the country, UFC, not have to answer to ANY of these health concerns, yet ROGER is forced to legislate big hits out of his game, when his players get to wear full body armor? I'll tell you how--because there is absolutely nothing (zip, zero, nadda) going on in the way of foresight between that man's ears.

I watched the end of 2 of the 4pm games: MIA/JAX and BAL/OAK. In the span of 5 minutes, Jax was awarded 15 yards of field position because a Dolphins player pushed a Jags player after the whistle, and the Jags player flopped. Move the Jags inside the 20, and game over. Over to Oakland, where Carr threw a duck into the middle of the field which was rightly picked off, and boom, theres the yellow flag: defensive holding.

It's going to take the next commissioner YEARS to undo what this mental midget has done to the league.

I wish there were MORE injuries like Romo's today, and I love that guy, he's one of my favorite players in the league. Start going for these QB's knees, I'm so sick of that Hollywood position getting all the attention. This is a game that I love, it's the most tactical, thrilling sport in the world to watch, and Goodell seems to think that the messyness of it needs to be legislated out.

There are just so many things wrong with the league, and the way its run, that I don't even care that the Bills lost today. The league is so watered down with parity that basically the entire conference is 1-1.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a point in there somewhere. I don't think games where both teams are drawing a dozen plus penalties is good for the league. I don't in any way blame the refs for our loss today but I do agree when Rex says they reffed it like fans had come out to see them.

Goodell doesn't make the rules. Just tells the refs to enforce them. People with a beef should complain to the competiton committee.

Goodell doesn't make the rules. Just tells the refs to enforce them. People with a beef should complain to the competiton committee.

I didn't say the original post was right - just that there was a point in there somewhere, it was just hidden under a lot of not such good or accurate observations.

Few bring the crazy with such ooomph as...Johnny(PURE)Gold!

Man I can respect that you're a mod here, or whatever, but what, exactly, do you find crazy about my post?

Pop in a VHS tape from even 10 years ago and watch a Bills game--the sport is called completely different than it ever has been, and is in no way better.

I didn't say the original post was right - just that there was a point in there somewhere, it was just hidden under a lot of not such good or accurate observations.

Nobody has said anything to refute anything. Just patting each other on the backs for making good points.

Did the Patriots not lose 2 fumbles today? Please check when the last time that happened was, and come back to me.

Did the Patriots not get punished for cheating this summer?

Were there not 25+ penalties today?

Were 2 4pm games decided by ticky tack penalties in the final minute?

Have big hits not been legislated out of the game while a blood sport continues to soar in popularity?

I can do what you do too, "Mr WEO is crazy, don't respond to his posts, he's CRAAAAAAAAAAAZY."

The Bills lost what should have been a devastating divisional game today, but Roger Goodell has run this sport so far into the ground, that honestly, it doesn't even move the needle for me.

We lost to the defending Super Bowl champions, but they've been punished for cheating so many times that I don't even know what it means to "lose" to them. Or I should say, they've been found guilty of cheating so many times--but we're all still waiting on the punishment.

We scored 32 points (should have been enough to win), and our world class defense could do nothing against them. I mean, absolutely nothing. It's almost like they knew what we were going to do on defense all day

The long pass to Gronk, where he was covered by Hughes. Brady didn't even look that way before he threw it. It was almost like he knew exactly what the coverage would be before the ball was snapped. As though someone was whispering in his ear "Gronk is covered by a DE on the left sideline..."

Man I can respect that you're a mod here, or whatever, but what, exactly, do you find crazy about my post?

Pop in a VHS tape from even 10 years ago and watch a Bills game--the sport is called completely different than it ever has been, and is in no way better.

Nobody has said anything to refute anything. Just patting each other on the backs for making good points.

Did the Patriots not lose 2 fumbles today? Please check when the last time that happened was, and come back to me.

Have big hits not been legislated out of the game while a blood sport continues to soar in popularity?

I can do what you do too, "Mr WEO is crazy, don't respond to his posts, he's CRAAAAAAAAAAAZY."

Well I will point out two obvious observations from your original post that I disagree with -

1. The hold on the Raiders receiver was very real. That isn't a ticky tacky call for me that is a penalty all day, if he doesn't grab him and half spin him around he isn't infront of him to pick off the pass.

2. The UFC doesn't have the same pressure on head injuries because it isn't in the position that the NFL is where it is defending historic claims by older players - UFC will at some point face some difficult decisions on head injury protocols in the same way that the NFL has and, indeed, that eventually boxing has to.

The long pass to Gronk, where he was covered by Hughes. Brady didn't even look that way before he threw it. It was almost like he knew exactly what the coverage would be before the ball was snapped. As though someone was whispering in his ear "Gronk is covered by a DE on the left sideline..."

That was a the play Hughes slapped Gronks arm well before the ball arrived, should have been pass interference. I had a problem with many of the calls that went against us today. I just found it funny that in a Patriots cheating thread this play ended up being referenced as it seemed like the only break we got all game.

Edited by KzooMike

What's crazy?

Anyway, Goodell has nothing to do with anything you complain about.

UFC is not allowed to fight in NY State.

The best UFC ratings are lower than an episode of any of the late night talk shows on network TV.

We scored 32 points (should have been enough to win), and our world class defense could do nothing against them. I mean, absolutely nothing. It's almost like they knew what we were going to do on defense all day, as if they had hacked our computers, or listened in on our radio signals. I have no idea. They did lose 2 fumbles though, so obviously they can't deflate balls anymore. The last time the Patriots were punished for cheating, they doubled down and went 16-0, and only lost 1 game: the only game they played on a neutral field all year. It looks like it's happening again. It's either the most poorly written WWF script in history, or the most blatant cheating in history. Either way, the disconnect between what my eyes are seeing and what my brain knows is so large that it makes the act of watching the game unbearable.

Speaking of unbearable: holy penalties. Were they undeserved? I have no idea, CBS showed 0 replays. I know Sammy got flagged for a New England corner falling down, and Rex took a 15 yarder for saying the F word? Or something along those lines? I lost track once the total amount of penalties got over 20. Ticky tack calls all day in a violent sport.

Speaking of violent: Roger Goodell is such an incompetent manager of this league, that now no one, from announcers to fans to players, know how to react to "big" hits. Throw a flag for a late hit on Taylor, then pick it up. Players taken out of the game for "concussion protocols". Answer me this: how can the fastest growing sport in the country, UFC, not have to answer to ANY of these health concerns, yet ROGER is forced to legislate big hits out of his game, when his players get to wear full body armor? I'll tell you how--because there is absolutely nothing (zip, zero, nadda) going on in the way of foresight between that man's ears.

I watched the end of 2 of the 4pm games: MIA/JAX and BAL/OAK. In the span of 5 minutes, Jax was awarded 15 yards of field position because a Dolphins player pushed a Jags player after the whistle, and the Jags player flopped. Move the Jags inside the 20, and game over. Over to Oakland, where Carr threw a duck into the middle of the field which was rightly picked off, and boom, theres the yellow flag: defensive holding.

It's going to take the next commissioner YEARS to undo what this mental midget has done to the league.

I wish there were MORE injuries like Romo's today, and I love that guy, he's one of my favorite players in the league. Start going for these QB's knees, I'm so sick of that Hollywood position getting all the attention. This is a game that I love, it's the most tactical, thrilling sport in the world to watch, and Goodell seems to think that the messyness of it needs to be legislated out.

There are just so many things wrong with the league, and the way its run, that I don't even care that the Bills lost today. The league is so watered down with parity that basically the entire conference is 1-1.

"Not to steal Bill from NYC's thunder, but my thoughts on the game?"

Don't worry, you didn't.

I agree with Johnny Gold, and stated as much last season, only to have Mr. WEO jump up and defend the lying, dishonest, game ruining hypocrite called a commissioner.

If he is doing such a bang up job, why is the one the field game suffering, just as was stated above? And why, rather it be the draft, HOF ceremony, or any time Goodell is in front of the fans, is he booed uncontrobably?

Say what you want, but the quality of the game is slipping away at a rapid rate, and all under Goodell's watch.

He has made a mockery of the league with this whole Patriot fiasco, and should have been run out after the Ray Rice mess, that he handled with such high integrity.

My interest in the game, and the league, took a huge hit today, and I have been a loyal fan for 40 years.

But don't you have to wonder how the Bills (or any team) can charge right down the field and score, show the defensive muscle they are supposed to have on their first series, only to have the offense look like like a Jr. high team, and the defense look like the 0-16 Detroit Lions on the next several possessions?

I am at a loss tonight, as all I ever did was love football since I was little, and as of now, don't care if I turn it on again.

And my feelings, like several other long time fans, is a problem for good ole Roger and his 44 million salary.

He's an a$$hole, and that is a popular opinion.

Ha, in title alone.

I would never stoop to that level of banality with the body of my post, don't worry--despite appearances to the contrary, I believe in literary standards.

This is just the best ever...

I agree with Johnny Gold, and stated as much last season, only to have Mr. WEO jump up and defend the lying, dishonest, game ruining hypocrite called a commissioner.

If he is doing such a bang up job, why is the one the field game suffering, just as was stated above? And why, rather it be the draft, HOF ceremony, or any time Goodell is in front of the fans, is he booed uncontrobably?

Say what you want, but the quality of the game is slipping away at a rapid rate, and all under Goodell's watch.

He has made a mockery of the league with this whole Patriot fiasco, and should have been run out after the Ray Rice mess, that he handled with such high integrity.

My interest in the game, and the league, took a huge hit today, and I have been a loyal fan for 40 years.

But don't you have to wonder how the Bills (or any team) can charge right down the field and score, show the defensive muscle they are supposed to have on their first series, only to have the offense look like like a Jr. high team, and the defense look like the 0-16 Detroit Lions on the next several possessions?

I am at a loss tonight, as all I ever did was love football since I was little, and as of now, don't care if I turn it on again.

And my feelings, like several other long time fans, is a problem for good ole Roger and his 44 million salary.

He's an !@#$, and that is a popular opinion.

You haven't figured out that the NFL commissioner gets takes the boos so his bosses (who make the decisions in this league) don't have to. Thye think he's worth every penny.

Regardless, goodbye harv. The NFL won't miss you. Perhaps you should try a professional league where the commissioner is beloved, like the NHL, or MLB or FIFA.

Whatever, WEO, keep kissing his ass while the league continues to regress. I swear you went to elementary school with him in Jamestown, as you're the only fan I know that defends him!

If I'm so off base with my opinion, why has there been so much call to remove him? From fans, to players, to major media that covers the game, and some owners, although the latter is hard to get out in the open, as they "defend the shield."

The most important part of the game, the players, can't stand him, and neither can most of the fans, other than yourself.

He is taking the game the same direction that NASCAR went, all corporate, all about growning revenue, and forgetting what its all about, the game (or race).

Tune in a race now, the stands are half empty at most events, all because Brian France had the idea to "run more races," take the sport out of the country, and so on.

Whatever, WEO, keep kissing his ass while the league continues to regress. I swear you went to elementary school with him in Jamestown, as you're the only fan I know that defends him!

If I'm so off base with my opinion, why has there been so much call to remove him? From fans, to players, to major media that covers the game, and some owners, although the latter is hard to get out in the open, as they "defend the shield."

The most important part of the game, the players, can't stand him, and neither can most of the fans, other than yourself.

He is taking the game the same direction that NASCAR went, all corporate, all about growning revenue, and forgetting what its all about, the game (or race).

Tune in a race now, the stands are half empty at most events, all because Brian France had the idea to "run more races," take the sport out of the country, and so on.

For a lot of guys liek you, pointing out the obvious becomes "defending". The owners aren't calling for Goodell's ouster--they would just fire him, or make him retire. They know there is no such thing as bad publicity. When the season starts, they know few care about the scandals. They know the ratings go up every year. Why would they complain? You make little sense.

As for NASCAR, they had a short-lived bump in popularity until the casual fan suddenly woke up and asked themselves "WTF am I watching this for??!!".

Again, you really haven't seen Bettman get booed? And his league borders on irelevant every year. He would kill to be as successful and hated as Goodell.

You know, this happens EVERY TIME we play the Patriots. If you look at the 1st quarter box scores of every game the past 10-15 years, we always seem to take a 7-0 lead and then our offense gets shut down for most of the game.

I don't know of any other team that we have this problem with. What could the Pats possibly be doing after that 1st drive to shut us down like that?

I also have a little conspiracy theory about the NFL. In order to promote parity (or to make sure a gambling spread is kept close), I believe the NFL tells refs to slow down a team's momentum early in the game if it looks like the game could lead to a blowout. That's precisely what happened with the Thigpen punt return in the 1st quarter. Everything was going right for us. Great drive down the field for a TD. 3 and out for Brady. Big punt return for terrific field position. But uh oh, there comes the yellow flag.

How many great plays did we have called back today with penalties? What about the Pats? Why does it feel like our penalties happen at more crucial times? It's been like this for 15 years with 6 different coaching staffs. How could six different coaching staffs with different personnel continuously have the same problems year after year: penalties in crucial situations, failure to stop third down plays in the 4th quarter, and red zone inefficiency. Why is this always magnified against the Pats?

I swear sometimes I feel like their are very powerful forces out there working in favor for the Patriots. Forces stronger than Goodell or Kraft. Possibly related to gambling. We live in a world where an NBA ref was busted for getting paid to ensure certain sportsbook spreads. What naivete to think something like this doesn't happen in the biggest sport in the USA. And in a city known for it's rough mafia.

Also, is it possible to hack those tablet computers teams keep their playbooks on now? If North Korea can hack Sony, why can't teams hack just one tablet computer.

Edited by musichunch

You know, this happens EVERY TIME we play the Patriots. If you look at the 1st quarter box scores of every game the past 10-15 years, we always seem to take a 7-0 lead and then our offense gets shut down for most of the game.

I don't know of any other team that we have this problem with. What could the Pats possibly be doing after that 1st drive to shut us down like that?

I also have a little conspiracy theory about the NFL. In order to promote parity (or to make sure a gambling spread is kept close), I believe the NFL tells refs to slow down a team's momentum early in the game if it looks like the game could lead to a blowout. That's precisely what happened with the Thigpen punt return in the 1st quarter. Everything was going right for us. Great drive down the field for a TD. 3 and out for Brady. Big punt return for terrific field position. But uh oh, there comes the yellow flag.

How many great plays did we have called back today with penalties? What about the Pats? Why does it feel like our penalties happen at more crucial times? It's been like this for 15 years with 6 different coaching staffs. How could six different coaching staffs with different personnel continuously have the same problems year after year: penalties in crucial situations, failure to stop third down plays in the 4th quarter, and red zone inefficiency. Why is this always magnified against the Pats?

I swear sometimes I feel like their are very powerful forces out there working in favor for the Patriots. Forces stronger than Goodell or Kraft. Possibly related to gambling. We live in a world where an NBA ref was busted for getting paid to ensure certain sportsbook spreads. What naivete to think something like this doesn't happen in the biggest sport in the USA. And in a city known for it's rough mafia.

Also, is it possible to hack those tablet computers teams keep their playbooks on now? If North Korea can hack Sony, why can't teams hack just one tablet computer.

Honestly, this just sums up how I feel as well. But it's one of those things that will likely never be proven. Someone seriously involved with whatever the Pats do would have to turn on them fully. But there's just a feeling with the Patriots--there's just something going on with them. Whatever they're doing they've likely justified to themselves as 'gamesmanship' or whatnot, but I truly believe they're cheating.