• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i7c6IOxy_200x200.jpgVS. hb9K6ARm_200x200.jpg

cut.jpg

SENATORS (33-30-8) at SABRES (28-33-10)

FRI MAR 18, 2016 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B/BELL TV

NHL.com Game Preview: Senators visit Sabres in search of third straight win - Buffalo goalie Robin Lehner questionable because of ankle soreness

Season series: The Ottawa Senators have won two of three from the Buffalo Sabres. Senators forward Kyle Turris scored twice for a 3-1 win in the season opener Oct. 8 at First Niagara Center, with Sabres forward Jack Eichel scoring his first NHL goal. Eichel scored twice and goalie Robin Lehner made 34 saves for his first win with the Sabres, a 3-2 victory Jan. 26 at Canadian Tire Centre. Forward Bobby Ryan had the game-deciding shootout goal and goalie Craig Anderson made 38 saves in the Senators' 2-1 win at home Feb. 16.

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 301)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clot, Oct. 8; injured reserve) – 71 games
Tyler Ennis (upper body, Dec. 31; injured reserve) – 34 games
Cody Franson (neck, Feb. 21) – 12 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
3/14: Signed G Jason Kasdorf to an entry-level contract
3/16: Activated F Ryan O’Reilly from IR; Assigned F Daniel Catenacci to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, March 19: Buffalo at Toronto, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, March 22: Buffalo at Carolina, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 26: Winnipeg at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Monday, March 28: Buffalo at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, March 29: Buffalo at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

SENATORS at SABRES
This is the fourth and final meeting between the Sabres and Senators this season.
Last meeting: Ottawa defeated Buffalo, 2-1 (SO), in Ottawa on Feb. 16
The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Senators; 4-3-3 at home
This is the 128th game all-time between Buffalo and Ottawa; Buffalo has a 60-49-18 series record.
The Sabres are 33-22-7 at home against the Senators all-time.

Morning Skate: March 18, 2016 from 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM at First Niagara Center

@BuffaloSabres

Sabres get back to work: http://bufsabres.co/Ou2GTi

Cdxu9otW4AAVwqO.jpg

Updates from Coach Bylsma: http://bufsabres.co/LuPmYy

CdxymsAW4AA-esO.jpg

The Sabres had 69 shot attempts last night. 30 from defensemen. @duffersabres with more: http://bufsabres.co/LuPmYy

Cdx2SNHW4AAf2ct.jpg

Zach Bogosian's post-practice comments: http://bufsabres.co/HKN2TN

Cdx4qSkWEAIgOpl.jpg

@Senators

The #Sens look to focus all their energy into the remaining games of the season and carry momentum into Buffalo.

https://amp.twimg.com/prod/multibr_v_1/video/2016/03/17/18/710533119275900930-libx264-main-2028k.mp4?DJR%2Ft%2BOGwMxbfLgkOcR912A8FAgsHxrk0yfJ4ngpotY%3D

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I've gotta admit, I'm a little jealous watching Eichel and Reinhart. I was ecstatic that the Sens made the push last year to make the playoffs, but as we are probably going to miss this year, part of me wishes we went in the tank last year too. Stone looking like a star in the making has been a decent consolation, but Eichel is special. He's gotten stronger as the season has gone on which is really impressive. When the Sabres are dominating the league in a few years, I'll hate them, but right now it's fun watching young talent like that.

I've gotta admit, I'm a little jealous watching Eichel and Reinhart. I was ecstatic that the Sens made the push last year to make the playoffs, but as we are probably going to miss this year, part of me wishes we went in the tank last year too. Stone looking like a star in the making has been a decent consolation, but Eichel is special. He's gotten stronger as the season has gone on which is really impressive. When the Sabres are dominating the league in a few years, I'll hate them, but right now it's fun watching young talent like that.

ya man. Unfortunately to get consistently good in the NHL you need an elite core of players. The only realistic way to do this is through the draft. Fortunately the very top of the hockey draft is much more predictable than football. So based on how the system is set up the best way to build a team with a proper rebuild is still to bottom out and draft at the top for a couple years (ignore edmonton although with McDavid who knows where they go now) all I'm saying as a sabres fan, even though the past 3 years have been horrid I would "take my medicine" all over again with a rebuild instead of constantly being in the hunt to barely make 8th and get bounced in the first round.

I'm looking forward to the sabres actually developing rivalries again. Lol it's been so long since anyone else cared about them

ya man. Unfortunately to get consistently good in the NHL you need an elite core of players. The only realistic way to do this is through the draft. Fortunately the very top of the hockey draft is much more predictable than football. So based on how the system is set up the best way to build a team with a proper rebuild is still to bottom out and draft at the top for a couple years (ignore edmonton although with McDavid who knows where they go now) all I'm saying as a sabres fan, even though the past 3 years have been horrid I would "take my medicine" all over again with a rebuild instead of constantly being in the hunt to barely make 8th and get bounced in the first round.

I'm looking forward to the sabres actually developing rivalries again. Lol it's been so long since anyone else cared about them

Finally Toronto has come to the same realization that you highlighted that a proper and sturdier rebuild is done primarily through the draft. The odds of acquiring elite core players go exponentially higher when you select near the top of the draft. The Maple Leafs had the mistaken view that their demanding market would not allow for a bottoming out in order to do the rebuild right. So they took the expedient approach of spending big money on name players to maintain a certain level of competitiveness. It ended up in a long term floundering status.

Under Babcock and a new front office they are now aggressively following the same formula that the Sabres are following The irony is that there is now more hope and fan satisfaction in Toronto than there was when for almost a generation when they were stuck in the muck of mediocrity. Toronto thought they were too special to be committed to a time tested rebuilding plan. They were wrong. Now at least they are on the right path.

This is spot on. It's going to be annoying if Edmonton lucks into Matthews after already having four #1 overall picks since 2010, one of which will be the best player in hockey for the next 10-15 years.

Well I for one am hoping we tank the next 11 games....well not necessarily tank....would love to see the young guys continue to excel....hopefully some easy goals slip by

They'll likely continue to get points with the schedule being relatively easy in the remaining games down the stretch.

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

Finally Toronto has come to the same realization that you highlighted that a proper and sturdier rebuild is done primarily through the draft. The odds of acquiring elite core players go exponentially higher when you select near the top of the draft. The Maple Leafs had the mistaken view that their demanding market would not allow for a bottoming out in order to do the rebuild right. So they took the expedient approach of spending big money on name players to maintain a certain level of competitiveness. It ended up in a long term floundering status.

Under Babcock and a new front office they are now aggressively following the same formula that the Sabres are following The irony is that there is now more hope and fan satisfaction in Toronto than there was when for almost a generation when they were stuck in the muck of mediocrity. Toronto thought they were too special to be committed to a time tested rebuilding plan. They were wrong. Now at least they are on the right path.

I agree with this. The irony is how the 2 rebuilds are being covered in the media when they have literally done the same thing.

I see the sabres and leafs regaining their rivalry as they both work their way on the upswing to being competitive.

This is spot on. It's going to be annoying if Edmonton lucks into Matthews after already having four #1 overall picks since 2010, one of which will be the best player in hockey for the next 10-15 years.

That would be unfortunate. A team's total futility should not be rewarded like this. Maybe add another qualifier to the lottery. No more than 50% top picks over a four year period.

That would be unfortunate. A team's total futility should not be rewarded like this. Maybe add another qualifier to the lottery. No more than 50% top picks over a four year period.

This week at the GM meetings in Boca Raton, Tim Murray made a recommendation that a team can only win the draft lottery a certain number of times within a specified period, but the NHL declined. There will be no changes to the draft lottery.

This week at the GM meetings in Boca Raton, Tim Murray made a recommendation that a team can only win the draft lottery a certain number of times within a specified period, but the NHL declined. There will be no changes to the draft lottery.

I'd venture that if Oilers win again, there will be a bigger groundswell for next year, especially if Leafs finish last and don't win the top pick.

The league already institutes an artificial construct to the top pick, may as well add another one. No upside for NHL to have good players waste away for four years in a crappy franchise.

I'd venture that if Oilers win again, there will be a bigger groundswell for next year, especially if Leafs finish last and don't win the top pick.

The league already institutes an artificial construct to the top pick, may as well add another one. No upside for NHL to have good players waste away for four years in a crappy franchise.

Agreed