A Few Thoughts on Steelers @ Pats***

“The rule is you can’t mimic like an offensive cadence,” Mayo said. “That’s the rule. I just said, ‘Move.’ All I said was ‘Move,’ and they moved. … If I were to have got up there and said, ‘Blue 42,’ now that’s illegal.”

Mayo admits to yelling "Move."

https://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2015/09/patriots_notebook_defensive_line_tactic_legal

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See that right there is why they are the lowest of the low and why I don't understand anyone defending them. Great example.

This is only possible if they spend time looking at the rules for loopholes, exceptions, and gray areas. They go looking for ways they can bend the rules and if they break too it's just collateral damage. They are adhering to the letter of the rule book in order to violate the spirit.

kj

So just how exactly does that comport with the NFL Rule #12, Section 3, Line J:

"Using acts or words by the defensive team that are designed to disconcert an offensive team at the snap. An official must blow his whistle immediately to stop play." "Penalty: If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down."

So they have someone in the stands relaying hot shots of local radio feeds on the opposing team's reception frequency and it's nothing. They complain to the officials, NFL people approach the headsets... problem suddenly and mysteriously goes away. NFL officials retreat... the interference resumes... multiple times. Yes, I see nothing out of the ordinary in that . Nothing at all.

All I can say is other teams should learn how to do this to them every chance they get. If The League isn't going to do anything about it - then turnabout is fair play.

So just how exactly does that comport with the NFL Rule #12, Section 3, Line J:

"Using acts or words by the defensive team that are designed to disconcert an offensive team at the snap. An official must blow his whistle immediately to stop play." "Penalty: If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down."

I don't think it does. The coaches told the team it was legal and they proceeded full-bore thinking it was.

I have often wondered about those goal-line plays. There is almost no penalty on the defense if the call goes against them (e.g. move the ball 9 inches closer to the goal line), whereas a call against the offense changes a first and 1/goal to 1st and 6.

I am glad to see the rule says an automatic first down in this case. That is something....

I don't think it does. The coaches told the team it was legal and they proceeded full-bore thinking it was.

I have often wondered about those goal-line plays. There is almost no penalty on the defense if the call goes against them (e.g. move the ball 9 inches closer to the goal line), whereas a call against the offense changes a first and 1/goal to 1st and 6.

I am glad to see the rule says an automatic first down in this case. That is something....

Right. Just because Mayo said it's not illegal doesn't mean it isn't illegal. He a mental midget that's piping back what he's been taught. I think that's telling. If The League had integrity they would look into this further. It's just another example of them breaking the rules and the officials being numb/dumb or willfully looking the other way at an infraction that takes place at a critical time of the game.

I'm never been on Goodell's case before, but I can see where he should lose his job because he's been a huge factor in allowing this cesspool of a franchise to pollute the sport.

The penalty on the defense in this case gives the offense a fresh set of downs though

The penalty on the defense in this case gives the offense a fresh set of downs though

But that is only if the yelling is called, not just that the defense caused them to jump. And if it was first down, there isn't a disincentive.

In the Pats/Steelers' case, it was third down, so the call would have made a big difference, and likely a 4 point difference in the resulting score.

But that is only if the yelling is called, not just that the defense caused them to jump. And if it was first down, there isn't a disincentive.

In the Pats/Steelers' case, it was third down, so the call would have made a big difference, and likely a 4 point difference in the resulting score.

Agreed. Given Mayo's admission that he shouted during the cadence, I don't understand why the Steelers don't file a grievance or whatever they need to do to cause the rules committee and the referees to look into this. I certainly hope Rex is looking into this and will be prepared to talk to the officials before the game.

I don't see why Mayo gets to decide what does or does not mimic a cadence. Just my opinion but if NE jumped on a pre-arranged part of the cadence (6 word or something) I think that's legal if they don't encroach. If they actually shout, it's just too fine hair splitting what constitutes mimicing a cadence or not.

Agreed. Given Mayo's admission that he shouted during the cadence, I don't understand why the Steelers don't file a grievance or whatever they need to do to cause the rules committee and the referees to look into this. I certainly hope Rex is looking into this and will be prepared to talk to the officials before the game.

I don't see why Mayo gets to decide what does or does not mimic a cadence. Just my opinion but if NE jumped on a pre-arranged part of the cadence (6 word or something) I think that's legal if they don't encroach. If they actually shout, it's just too fine hair splitting what constitutes mimicing a cadence or not.

^

This.

I mean, it's just like the OTL report said, they find loopholes and when you close the loopholes they find new ones. It's a forever game of whack-a-mole with them.

In the 4th quarter the DE had his helmet fly off when an OL barely touched it, and it wiped away a big Antonio Brown catch inside the 20. The next play the same DE gets a sack and his helmet flies off again. How does your helmet fly off two plays in a row unless you're purposely loosening it in the 4th quarter to draw penalties?

It's endless, it's shady, and they are the guy at the YMCA that nobody likes. The liar and thief that you can't catch cleanly, and when you do they talk their way out of it. Everyone knows that guy and eventually you just stop playing with him.

Two options to fix it:

1. Harsh and severe punishments for even minor rule violations to the Patriots. Three strikes rule. Minimal evidence required.

2. Start playing shady ourselves. - I really hope we don't and it's a game we'll always lose to them. Don't play scumbag games with scumbags because they've been playing them their whole life, and unlike you, they don't feel bad afterwards and will go places you may not.

Right. Just because Mayo said it's not illegal doesn't mean it isn't illegal. He a mental midget that's piping back what he's been taught. I think that's telling. If The League had integrity they would look into this further. It's just another example of them breaking the rules and the officials being numb/dumb or willfully looking the other way at an infraction that takes place at a critical time of the game.

I'm never been on Goodell's case before, but I can see where he should lose his job because he's been a huge factor in allowing this cesspool of a franchise to pollute the sport.

Sadly the owner of the cesspool is the one who helped Goodell get his job in the first place and is on the three-owner board who decides on how much he gets paid.