Dareus Signs Six Year Extension with Bills

26CornerBlitz

Using a C2C guideline is not relevant to the point you are making. A team can just as easily spend just the minimum requirement while using a non-C2C phylosophy as by using it.....if that is what the team is wanting to do.

Oh it is relevant.

Because the Bills used C2C specifically as an excuse to their fanbase and the media to justify not spending when they didn't feel like it.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My "study". :lol:

Some of you guys really allow your indignance at sportswriters to make yourselves look like haughty d-bags. :lol:

You obviously didn't read the linked article did you?

...and I thought calling people haughty d-bags was frowned upon here?

Oh it is relevant.

Because the Bills used C2C specifically as an excuse to their fanbase and the media to justify not spending when they didn't feel like it.

It really isn't. I don't disagree that it can potentially be more easily used as an excuse for not spending(by duping the ignorant public).....but the system in and of itself is no different than non-C2C in overal spending amounts.

You obviously didn't read the linked article did you?

...and I thought calling people haughty d-bags was frowned upon here?

It really isn't. I don't disagree that it can potentially be more easily used as an excuse for not spending(by duping the ignorant public).....but the system in and of itself is no different than non-C2C in overal spending amounts.

Yes, I did read the article. Jerry was baiting the thin-skins for exactly that kind of response. :lol:

I'm glad we don't disagree about how the Bills utilized the concept of C2C as an excuse.

Yes, I did read the article. Jerry was baiting the thin-skins for exactly that kind of response. :lol:

I'm glad we don't disagree about how the Bills utilized the concept of C2C as an excuse.

You really are a Marrone.

@mikerodak

With Marcell Dareus contract filed, Bills are now $6M over projected 2016 cap. BUF has ~$11M from 15 to carry over.

CO3qvwoWwAA_Upo.jpg

i feel weve seen much higher projections from a few sites. and clay, for instance, isnt just a probable but a 100% restructure. with more context the tweet doesnt mean a ton. Edited by NoSaint

It's worth remembering that those figures don't account for the $11M rollover, and also that an additional $22M in cap space is probably coming with the (likely) release of:

Kyle Williams

Eric Wood

Leodis McKelvin

Manny Lawson

Percy Harvin

That doesn't account for cap impacts from new deals for Glenn, Gilmore, Bradham, and very likely Mario Williams and Corbin Bryant as well. It'll be complicated, but it's not a terrible cap situation.

It's worth remembering that those figures don't account for the $11M rollover, and also that an additional $22M in cap space is probably coming with the (likely) release of:

Kyle Williams

Eric Wood

Leodis McKelvin

Manny Lawson

Percy Harvin

That doesn't account for cap impacts from new deals for Glenn, Gilmore, Bradham, and very likely Mario Williams and Corbin Bryant as well. It'll be complicated, but it's not a terrible cap situation.

release of Kyle Williams? wtf? Eric Wood? ummm

release of Kyle Williams? wtf? Eric Wood? ummm

Yes, those are both very likely.

They restructured Kyle's contract this offseason such that releasing him next offseason would bring $5M in cap relief. I don't think that's a coincidence.

As to Wood, his level of play dropped off significantly last year, and you can't afford to pay a middling center a top-5 center salary. Especially not when you can pluck starting interior lineman in the 2nd and 3rd rounds routinely (as many teams do). NE**** is starting an undrafted rookie FA at center, in place of a 4th round draft pick.

I like both guys, but these are the ramifications of paying premium salaries to top-notch players. You have to choose an odd man out between Kyle, Dareus, Mario, and Hughes. You have to choose an odd man out between Glenn and Wood. An odd man out between Gilmore, Aaron Williams, Corey Graham, and Leodis McKelvin. Etc.

I was about to respond that I doubt Kyle will be released for cap considerations, but then I remembered FredEx, and realized I know nothing about anything.

I think we need to prepare for that eventuality. He's going to be 33 at the start of next season, and he's scheduled to count $8M against the cap for a team paying nearly $40M to the other 3 DLmen. He's the oldest guy on the team at his position group, and is backed up by capable guys (Bryant, Charles) who are much younger, cheaper, and only RFAs next offseason.

For a team that will be looking to create cap space, he's a prime candidate to go.

I think we need to prepare for that eventuality. He's going to be 33 at the start of next season, and he's scheduled to count $8M against the cap for a team paying nearly $40M to the other 3 DLmen. He's the oldest guy on the team at his position group, and is backed up by capable guys (Bryant, Charles) who are much younger, cheaper, and only RFAs next offseason.

For a team that will be looking to create cap space, he's a prime candidate to go.

I'm hoping we can find the room elsewhere, depending on his productivity anyways. He seems fresh so far.

Kyle is still playing at a seriously high level. they will restructure him if they need to. they will free up space restructuring Mario too. plus Harvin is gone and Incognito is probably gone as well as Cassel. i don't think they can afford to re-sign Glenn after paying Gilmore and Bradham so there will be space from that too

Kyle Williams

Eric Wood

Leodis McKelvin

Manny Lawson

Percy Harvin

According to Spotrac.....rounding numbers to nearest $0.5M....

We have $7.5M left for rollover.

We are $4.5M over a projected $150M cap for next year(I expect it will be $3-8M higher).

Harvin is stated as a 1 year deal, though they list his full cap hit....will be $8M savings if he is let go.

Clay's restructure will save $7.5M.

That means...on the assumed $150M 2016 cap we will have $18.5M in cap space(plus the extra guessed $3-8M of cap increase).

That should be easily enough to re-sign Glenn and Bradham(Gilmore will already be earning $11M+ in 2016). I would be astounded if we cut Kyle Williams as we have just given him a pay rise....unless his play drops dramatically. It seems to me that the plan is to keep our 4 star DLmen as a unit through 2017.