QB Tyrod Taylor to start Week 1

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

• Best to Tyrod, he certainly deserves this shot and I think he'll become something special.
  • Terrible news about Freddy...the heartbeat of the team was just carved out and sent packing to accommodate a GM's ego trip.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I believe the report is true, it could be someone other than Rex leaking this. In fact, it most certainly isn't Rex, IMO, given the way Glazer describes his source. Again, I'm not suggesting it is a smokescreen, and Glazer wouldn't report it if he wasn't pretty sure his source was accurate.

I only meant that if it was a purposefully false leak that it would come from Rex(Bills Org.). As a true leak it could come from whomever.

Harder to play man coverage with Tyrod, and you have to be really careful with your rush lanes - if your DEs get too aggressive and lose contain, he'll make you pay. Didn't have as many TD throws as I was hoping to see this preseason, but he seemed very efficient at moving the sticks.

This. TD passes in the Red Zone weren't there and I wish he'd had a few. Although, like he showed against the Steelers, he's a threat to run it in, I just wonder if in tight he has issues in the pocket down close. But as you say, he get moves the ball and has improved steadily. That and we know he's Rex's guy.

Either Cassel or EJ's agent leaked it. OBD is getting phone calls inquiring about EJ as we speak. IMO.

Edit. Complete guess. I have no sources.

Why would Cassel's agent leak it? Does Cassel have a better shot at starting somewhere other than Buffalo?

Even with TT getting named starter, isn't this place still Cassel's best shot at getting a starting position again?

I don't post here much but read daily and love the community. I know I'm alone in this; but I'm surprised that there is so much support for Tyrod as the starter. I think he's a nice addition, but not a starter. These undersized, mobile QBs don't last in the NFL. He's another version of Vick and he'll be beat up and on IR by week 4.

Was hoping they would give EJ a shot. He looked good the last two weeks. Still think there is something special there. Big guy, can move around, big arm and finally has some real coaches around him. He was just lacking the confidence which he seemed to find again toward the end of camp. Yes, Tyrod did win that competition and he was more consistent overall, but that isn't saying much. EJ made a good push toward the end.

Tyrod is our guy now so I'm on board. Hope he proves me wrong. Hoping EJ is 2nd on the depth chart.

Why would Cassel's agent leak it? Does Cassel have a better shot at starting somewhere other than Buffalo?

Even with TT getting named starter, isn't this place still Cassel's best shot at getting a starting position again?

As long as EJ is on the team, Cassel is not in a good position to be a starter.

If I'm the Cardinals, I'm calling about either one.

I don't post here much but read daily and love the community. I know I'm alone in this; but I'm surprised that there is so much support for Tyrod as the starter. I think he's a nice addition, but not a starter. These undersized, mobile QBs don't last in the NFL. He's another version of Vick and he'll be beat up and on IR by week 4.

Was hoping they would give EJ a shot. He looked good the last two weeks. Still think there is something special there. Big guy, can move around, big arm and finally has some real coaches around him. He was just lacking the confidence which he seemed to find again toward the end of camp. Yes, Tyrod did win that competition and he was more consistent overall, but that isn't saying much. EJ made a good push toward the end.

Tyrod is our guy now so I'm on board. Hope he proves me wrong. Hoping EJ is 2nd on the depth chart.

Yeah that Wilson guy, 2 SB's. He'll never last.

So, since Tyrod has beaten out the "safe" option at QB, why even keep Cassel on the roster? EJ has shown enough during preseason to warrant being kept as the #2 while he continues his development -- and if Taylor gets hurt or struggles EJ has legitimate game experience.

I only meant that if it was a purposefully false leak that it would come from Rex(Bills Org.). As a true leak it could come from whomever.

What's your take on this? Did Rex/Roman authorize someone to leak the info (or leak it themselves) for PR purposes? Or do you think it is a true leak---agent, another coach, player? If the later, there is always the possibility Rex is playing whack-a-mole. Possibility, not probability.

Crappy source citation:

The Buffalo Bills will head into Week 1 against the Indianapolis Colts with Tyrod Taylor under center, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, according to a source informed of the team's thinking.

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer first reported the news.

Just didn't think 7 pages in we needed a link to Jay Glazer saying "Tyrod Taylor to start for the Bills." If it was made up obviously the thread wouldn't have gotten to 7 pages. It's not like the story came from some obscure twitter guy. It came from the most respected NFL insider there is.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

• Best to Tyrod, he certainly deserves this shot and I think he'll become something special.
  • Terrible news about Freddy...the heartbeat of the team was just carved out and sent packing to accommodate a GM's ego trip.

Why, because of Bryce Brown? I think DW is doing what he feels is best for the team and winning games not to protect one his pickups.

What's your take on this? Did Rex/Roman authorize someone to leak the info (or leak it themselves) for PR purposes? Or do you think it is a true leak---agent, another coach, player? If the later, there is always the possibility Rex is playing whack-a-mole. Possibility, not probability.

I said upthread... I can't envision any team purposefully burning a legit member of the media in this manner by giving a false leak. IMO this is very most likely a legit leak which could have come from a myriad of sources.

So, since Tyrod has beaten out the "safe" option at QB, why even keep Cassel on the roster? EJ has shown enough during preseason to warrant being kept as the #2 while he continues his development -- and if Taylor gets hurt or struggles EJ has legitimate game experience.

Don't you just get a feeling they're going to move EJ? I hope not. He's really improved, but when they put him in again against the Steelers, I just thought they were showcasing him.

Either Cassel or EJ's agent leaked it. OBD is getting phone calls inquiring about EJ as we speak. IMO.

Edit. Complete guess. I have no sources.

Not a chance. Tyrod Taylor has zero NFL starts and as much as he's looked great in preseason...it's preseason. He is an unknown as a regular season starting QB.

They couldn't ask for a better situation with a vastly improved Manuel on the bench in case of an injury to Taylor.

Yeah that Wilson guy, 2 SB's. He'll never last.

I'd argue that Wilson is the exception, not the norm for that style of QB. I would also argue that TT shouldn't be compared to Wilson. To your point, Wilson has two SB's and TT was is a back up QB.

We'll see. Again, hope I'm wrong.

Glazer has lots of relationships with players in the league. My guess is that it is one of the players that leaked it. If it is coming from Glazer you can be certain. If it was elsewhere you may be able to debate it but not coming from him.

Don't you just get a feeling they're going to move EJ? I hope not. He's really improved, but when they put him in again against the Steelers, I just thought they were showcasing him.

Makes no sense. Why trade a guy that showed that sort of potential? He's also much more similar to Taylor than Cassel is, from a game planning perspective.

I'm hear ya eball. The only thing I wanted was Tyrod and EJ( in any order) to be 1 & 2.