Do you trust Matt Cassel?

PolishDave

Ha, hardly. The funny thing is, there are people like you that think because I couldn't care less if the Patriots cheated, that I'm not a diehard Bills fan. It's so ridiculous that I dismiss it. I don't care what the Patriots have done, because I don't believe the Bills were in any way ready to compete for a title, so those were lost years anyway. I'm way more interested in what the Bills are going to do to WIN, than what other organizations get up to.

No. You have it all wrong. I think you are not a diehard Bills fan because you say things like, "If Matt Cassell is the opening day starter I'm going to look for a college team to root for."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. You have it all wrong. I think you are not a diehard Bills fan because you say things like, "If Matt Cassell is the opening day starter I'm going to look for a college team to root for."

Nope. You thought I wasn't a diehard long ago.

Kelly, stick to biting my posts to present as your own thoughts, and stop trifling with me.

I've only scouted him on youtube, but the general consensus (from KC and Vike fans) is that he can only be trusted to hand the ball off. There are so many lowlights of him throwing wildly off target (and usually OB) when any type of pressure is coming. That's his signature throw.

Don't trust Cassel at all...

I mean...He was definitely a good QB once...But it sure seems as if the NFL figured him out...Some folks around here want to judge EJ negatively based on his first 14 starts under a HC/OC who were clueless while heading up a run first offense that could not run the ball...Those same folks should be MUCH more concerned about the veteran...Cassel has a MUCH bigger recent sample to go off of and it's not exactly pretty...

The last 4 seasons...26 starts (9-17 record)...515/871 (59%)...30 TD's to 34 INT's...19 fumbles...63 sacks...

I'm OK with giving TT a shot...Not so much with Cassel...I think he might have a decent game or two before they figure him out again...Then it will likely get ugly... B-)

Zero trust in Cassel Noodle arm = 8-8 season.

Fluttering int's for days

This. Though I think even he could get to at least 9 wins with this D and the weapons on O. If Taylor or EJ popped though, we could be looking at greater things.

This is not a foolproof system and none of these kinds of things are. But I went through every starting season of his on profootball reference and looked at who else was on his team at the skill positions. Only in three years of his entire career did he have what I would consider to be a good group. Two of those three years he went 10-6 or 11-15 and one of the three he was just average. Every other year he started he had below average skill players. Like he had one good WR or maybe two out of five guys were good. He's never had a group like he has now.

Again it's not a fool proof system of evaluation but I think it's surely fair to look at that. I'm not a Cassel fan either although I think he is okay. I want Taylor to start. But I don't think it's fair to just look at his stats and say he sucked this year or he's a crappy QB. you need players around you, too.

This is not a foolproof system and none of these kinds of things are. But I went through every starting season of his on profootball reference and looked at who else was on his team at the skill positions. Only in three years of his entire career did he have what I would consider to be a good group. Two of those three years he went 10-6 or 11-15 and one of the three he was just average. Every other year he started he had below average skill players. Like he had one good WR or maybe two out of five guys were good. He's never had a group like he has now.

Again it's not a fool proof system of evaluation but I think it's surely fair to look at that. I'm not a Cassel fan either although I think he is okay. I want Taylor to start. But I don't think it's fair to just look at his stats and say he sucked this year or he's a crappy QB. you need players around you, too.

Yes this is true. Cassel could end up proving to be a huge upside surprise. I'm totally okay with that. Would rather have it happen to one of the other guys, but I'll still take it.

What any QB in this offense has on their side.... No 3 Dbs in the NFL can cover Watkins, Harvin and Woods.

Few safeties and linebacker can cover clay.

McCoy out of the backfield is not coverable.

As long as the offense exploits the matchup, the QB only need distribute the ball and correctly guess presnap who will be the most open.

I don't disagree...I definitely think the Bills look better at the skill positions overall...And if the Bills can be a top 5 running team it's going to make a huge difference no matter who the QB is...I just worry that Cassel is at the tail end of a steady decline...And the TD/INT numbers over his last 26 starts scares me...

I don't know...I just don't get a good feeling about Cassel...I kind of get that Orton/Fitz vibe..But I fully admit he's capable of surprising me...Especially considering he's got Sammie, Shady, Clay, and all... B-)

What any QB in this offense has on their side.... No 3 Dbs in the NFL can cover Watkins, Harvin and Woods.

As long as the offense exploits the matchup, the QB only need distribute the ball and correctly guess presnap who will be the most open.

That's exactly what I think. It's possible that Cassel is the right guy for that. However, if TT can make the right decisions and distribute it almost as good, plus has the run threat, he's the guy.

You only forgot one thing. No CB can stay with Goodwin without safety help. It really is a QB's dream.

Don't trust Cassel at all...

I mean...He was definitely a good QB once...But it sure seems as if the NFL figured him out...Some folks around here want to judge EJ negatively based on his first 14 starts under a HC/OC who were clueless while heading up a run first offense that could not run the ball...Those same folks should be MUCH more concerned about the veteran...Cassel has a MUCH bigger recent sample to go off of and it's not exactly pretty...

The last 4 seasons...26 starts (9-17 record)...515/871 (59%)...30 TD's to 34 INT's...19 fumbles...63 sacks...

I'm OK with giving TT a shot...Not so much with Cassel...I think he might have a decent game or two before they figure him out again...Then it will likely get ugly... B-)

He was a good player on a solid team like the Patriots or even with the Chiefs when ex Patriot OC Charlie Weis was the KC OC. Cassel went 10-5 both those times.

Its all those other years that make me nervous. Like the 1-7 season with 6 TD's & 12 INt's.

Should the run game falter or the Bills o line not be as good as it looks now in pre season, and Cassel needs to carry the team. I wouldn't be surprised to see him carry it... to a dumpster.

If Cassel is the backup when the Bills play the Patriots, and somehow NE looks like they know exactly what plays the Bills are running.... :ph34r:

We have a lot of players that are from other teams. Why single Cassel out for this discussion? Do you trust Tyrod? He was from Baltimore, and they also won Superbowl.

Clearly because most Bills fans have a literal hate for everything to do with the New England Patriots. I even stopped eating "Kraft" Macaroni and cheese because of the name :lol:

and I know!