50+ passing attempts tonight?

RCOHEN13

Considering none of the RB's that will be dressing tonight for Browns game even have a chance to make team, I for one, REALLY hope they let the QB's air it out and really try and showcase themselves to better evaluate who will be starting QB.

It's a pre-season game where all our RB's are out, and probably our top 3 WR's may miss as well. Which could actually make it a bit easier for coaching staff to evaluate being that guys like Hogan, Goodwin, Thompson, Lewis and A. Davis may all see action with both Tyrod and Cassel cuz our 2nd team WR's will also be our starting WR's.

I kinda feel bad for Tyrod, being this has to be the biggest game of his football career so far and even though he's "starting" he will be lining up against opponents 1's on D, and not having any of his starters at the skill positions with the exception of Clay. Obviously having the 1st team OL should help, but "starting the game" without the real starters, Shady, Sammy, Woods/ Percy will surely not make it a "true" start...

I'm hoping Tyrod can show patience in the pocket and complete some nice intermediate and deeper throws and not turn ball over. Also really hoping Cassel plays well with possibly the same offensive unit as Tyrod (minus the 1st team OL) but has big edge that he will be going up against Browns 2nd team D with virtually the same skill set weapons at his disposal.

As for EJ, at this point i dont even know what to think of him anymore. He has shown glimpes of being able to make some great plays like that pin point pass to Thompson for TD last week, but misses way too many of the simple plays which kills too many drives.

Hopefully Roman lets the QB's throw and not ground and pound with the QB's in desperate need of every extra oppurtunity to show what they can do and just mix in some runs here and there. If they do this, it may be a blessing in disguise that Shady, Freddy, Bobbie, Brown and Williams arent out there cuz there really is next to nothing to truly be evaluating in regards to the RB's. Only chance ANY of the 3 RB's playing tonight have chance at roster is via practice squad anyway.

Here's to hoping for 50+ passing attempts tonight so we can all dissect every single drop back!!

RC

I kind of like that Watkins, Woods, and Harvin are out because it does give us a chance to evaluate how our fringe WR's perform a bit more. I'm actually starting to think that Thompson and Davis might make cases to make the roster over Hogan and/or Goodwin.

Based on the reports from practice, it sounds like they have been asking Tyrod to sit in the pocket and avoid leaving it at all costs while making his reads. I think there will be a lot of throwing for him because that is what the coaches really need to assess. They know he can extend and make plays with his feet already. Also, not sure if he was mistaken, but John Murphy said on his show last night that Tyrod might even get an entire half of play. So don't feel bad for Tyrod, this is his chance to shine under less than perfect circumstances. If we generate points it likely means he's locking up the starting gig.

The biggest concern with the new RB's is that they may be clueless on some plays which could hurt pass protection (This goes for all QB's, not just the starter) considering 2 were signed in the past 3 or so days. Either way I'm excited for tonight! GO BILLS!

The OP makes a good point about the number of pass attempts. Let 'em sling it. Evaluation is very important in these games, even if guys like Mike Florio can't understand that. Their "game plan" is actually an "evaluation plan" and I expect that plan to include a lot of throwing/pass-protection practice for the offense, like the OP says.

Let's not make any excuses for Tyrod. The starters are important for putting up good stats, but not important for evaluation.

The OP makes a good point about the number of pass attempts. Let 'em sling it. Evaluation is very important in these games, even if guys like Mike Florio can't understand that. Their "game plan" is actually an "evaluation plan" and I expect that plan to include a lot of throwing/pass-protection practice for the offense, like the OP says.

Let's not make any excuses for Tyrod. The starters are important for putting up good stats, but not important for evaluation.

Thx. They need to sling it. The point someone tried make it is go with the "gameplan" (ground and pound) but firstly, as Rex even stated b4 the last game, there is no true game plan. This is about evaluations and seeing can step up. NONE of the 3 RB's sutiing up tonight have a chance to make roster (unless a few of our RB's has major setback with their injury).

The pecking order is pretty set at RB. Shady is by far and away the #1. Freddy will get a few shots plus will probably see some time as 3rd down guy. Boobie, Karlos and Bryce were trying much duking it out with each other to mkae roster. The trio we will be seeing, is there to take the lumps of the pre season for us and they all are using it for NFL game tape for FUTURE employers.... All we should care about are the guys that are gonna be on our team. Finding the RIGHT QB is by far and away the most critical decision this franchise has.

For the 1st time in what feels like forever, the D is top 5 (if not better), the skill positions are loaded with talent and guys we could ultimately cut, could probably find work on other teams as more than a guy that makes a team but doesnt dress. If a guy like Thompson or any of our top 5 RB's gets cut, i could easily see them being snagged right away and possibly have role of some other team. WE MUST FIND A QB!!!! They should let them throw throw and throw.. Even if its not working, who cares, let them sink or swim. See who stands tall and let the best man win!

I'm 35 and have never cheered for any other team other than the Bills. I still remember those Levy, Kelly, Reed, Thomas yrs even tho i was young teen! This truly the 1st realistic chance to be relevant again. In order to do so, we need a darn QB!!! its pre season, no game plan! play it like its madden.... throw throw and throw some more!

the offense and especially the offensive line still needs to get reps in for the running game regardless of who is at running back

i was not suggesting abandon the run completely. Just use it to complement the pass, instead of vice versa. Also, the line is looking pretty much set, dont think they will play too long regardless. And nothing wrong with useing a couple of screens as "semi running" plays cuz that at least incorporates the QB as well.

This is the week to the Qb's most importantly.

I kind of like that Watkins, Woods, and Harvin are out because it does give us a chance to evaluate how our fringe WR's perform a bit more. I'm actually starting to think that Thompson and Davis might make cases to make the roster over Hogan and/or Goodwin.

Based on the reports from practice, it sounds like they have been asking Tyrod to sit in the pocket and avoid leaving it at all costs while making his reads. I think there will be a lot of throwing for him because that is what the coaches really need to assess. They know he can extend and make plays with his feet already. Also, not sure if he was mistaken, but John Murphy said on his show last night that Tyrod might even get an entire half of play. So don't feel bad for Tyrod, this is his chance to shine under less than perfect circumstances. If we generate points it likely means he's locking up the starting gig.

The biggest concern with the new RB's is that they may be clueless on some plays which could hurt pass protection (This goes for all QB's, not just the starter) considering 2 were signed in the past 3 or so days. Either way I'm excited for tonight! GO BILLS!

Hogan dropped a pass hitting him in the chest last week, right between the numbers. Maybe he was surprised by the accuracy or something, but Goodwin doesn't seem to be able to catch anything. (slight exaggeration)

Hogan dropped a pass hitting him in the chest last week, right between the numbers. Maybe he was surprised by the accuracy or something, but Goodwin doesn't seem to be able to catch anything. (slight exaggeration)

If Percy comes back healthy and Sammy is 100% by regular season, i think Thompson or Davis could unseat either Hogan or Goodwin. Truth is, if offensive skill postion players stay healthy, i cant see this O using many 4 WR sets anyway with Shaddy or another RB on field in all situations and finally having a true pass catching TE in Clay who i really think will have a key role this yr moving the sticks.

Excellent point. You have starting 2 WR and then Woods. Clay should probably be on field for every snap. I agree also, that Clay is going to be huge, and I also think based on what I have seen of M.C., that he will be very accurate on the short-intermediate range passes to move the sticks.

Hogans not going anywhere

You are expecting, but would'nt u WANT to see that so we can see what these guys can do??

I understand your thought process. I just want to see the offense look cohesive and confident. I want the QB's to make good reads and good throws and take some shots dowfield. I want to OL to block well and I want the receivers to catch footballs that hit their hands.

I have very low expectations of the run game with 3 nobodies at RB.

I understand your thought process. I just want to see the offense look cohesive and confident. I want the QB's to make good reads and good throws and take some shots dowfield. I want to OL to block well and I want the receivers to catch footballs that hit their hands.

I have very low expectations of the run game with 3 nobodies at RB.

the 1 thing that Tyrod brings to the O that would really make a huge difference is with an O that will run the ball alot in reg season, we will see alot more 3rd and 4's and 3rd and 3's etc.. by having a good running game, good TE and good WR's, if play isdefended well, Taylor has shown he can easily make the play with his feet and moves the sticks.

I'm so tired of watching the Bills with 3 and out's which we all too common and missing out on 3rd and mid ranges last yr and in yr's past, that having a mobile QB can really be crucial in moving the chains.

Last preseason was series after series of 3 and outs. It was beautiful to see our O in 1st half moving the ball drive after drive. Cassel's didnt result in points but led to a FG attempt that im sure if Carp was there would have been dead center thru uprights and also that AWFUL PI penalty on Mulligan that nulified a beautiful 14-15 yard catch and run to Sammy. Both Qb's looked solid last week.

i'll be fully on board with whomever Rex decides as our QB. i just foresee too many nail bitter games with Cassel and relying too heavily on the D. You cant win every game 20-17. We r bound to let a few games slip away.

This is the best chance in more than a decade to win the division.

I really hope Tyrod shows some poise in the pocket, hits the plays he should hit and makes something out of nothing when a play breaks down. Cuz in a yr where we are "all in" u need the guy with the highest upside to start. having Cassel as the #2 would be more comforting knowing that at worst , our backup can keep us in games if Tyrod falters

The guys on the GR pregame show, known idiots, are saying that we may not pass very much at all, and it will be 70% runs. Partly because they don't want a no name RB missing a pass block and getting a QB hurt. Not sure I believe that. I think Roman wants to see how Taylor reacts, he wants to see how the offensive line pass blocks and run blocks and carries out their assignments, he wants to see who plays well between Hogan, Goodwin, Thompson and Davis, he wants to see which of the backup TEs can play, etc. I think we see pretty much the same game plan but will roll Taylor out a lot to not get him creamed.