Car maintenance

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... new brakes? why not just the rotors? yikes tikes son.

when had been the last time you did your brakes? and why don't you change your own oil?

well new break pads and I think this is the first time we have needed new breaks I have a 2010 Ford Focus

and sadly I dont know how to change my own oil lol

Go ahead and take away a man card.

I am great with electronics but not great at doing auto work

CBF

I hate how much it costs to keep a car in good condition! Went in for a simple oil change and came out close to $400 later with new brakes and rotors!

CBF

How in the heck do you go in for an oil change, and get hooked into a complete brake job. Sounds like you got hosed. You hoser :D

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]

Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Well they come with a lifetime guarantee

CBF

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.

Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?

[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]

Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

LOL

I should also add that I knew I would be needing brake pads soon as I was starting to hear/feel grinding whenever I had to brake in my car

CBF

I hate how much it costs to keep a car in good condition! Went in for a simple oil change and came out close to $400 later with new brakes and rotors!

CBF

An oil change is like a dental cleaning - an opportunity for the shop/dentist to see you and sell you stuff.

Which is why many dealers send discount oil change coupons - they want the foot falls.

I hardly, say yes to anything on the spot. I say 'yeah, thanx' and if it is something serious (like brakes or joints or something), I take the car to another shop to get a quote. Then make a decision.

Most of the time, they really can find nothing and come up with some ridiculous list of 'fluid flushes' which total $400-$500. Just because they HAVE to try and sell me something.

An oil change is like a dental cleaning - an opportunity for the shop/dentist to see you and sell you stuff.

Which is why many dealers send discount oil change coupons - they want the foot falls.

I hardly, say yes to anything on the spot. I say 'yeah, thanx' and if it is something serious (like brakes or joints or something), I take the car to another shop to get a quote. Then make a decision.

Most of the time, they really can find nothing and come up with some ridiculous list of 'fluid flushes' which total $400-$500. Just because they HAVE to try and sell me something.

I get it but I have been hearing screeching and grinding noises for about a month now so I knew my breaks needed to be worked on

CBF

I knew I needed brake work when I went for inspection last week. Metal on metal. Had to get all 4 rotors replaced, and the killer was that the emergency brake mechanism was frozen and needed replacement. $970.

Thats what was going to happen to me if I waited longer

CBF

Thats why you get the brakes done BEFORE it is metal on metalHad car 5 years. Changed backs in 2013. Fronts last fall. You probably pay the giy when he says you need a new aur filter every oil change.