The good old 14th

B-Large

If you haven't done so already, come on down to Austin. There's a Bills Backers bar not far from where I live, so we can watch a game and I'll take you around to see the sights. Seriously, there's a massive population here that speak no English at all. It keeps them from ever earning decent money unless they either have extremely good luck or sell drugs. I'm not exaggerating. There's at least four or five people that I've known for over 10 years that can not speak one full sentence in English, except maybe 'I want beer'. The kicker is that only a couple of them are here illegally. Two of them are brothers and were raised in south Texas. Great guys, but no halba Ingles.

Who was it that said diversity+proximity=warfare?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't done so already, come on down to Austin. There's a Bills Backers bar not far from where I live, so we can watch a game and I'll take you around to see the sights. Seriously, there's a massive population here that speak no English at all. It keeps them from ever earning decent money unless they either have extremely good luck or sell drugs. I'm not exaggerating. There's at least four or five people that I've known for over 10 years that can not speak one full sentence in English, except maybe 'I want beer'. The kicker is that only a couple of them are here illegally. Two of them are brothers and were raised in south Texas. Great guys, but no halba Ingles.

Sure, if I ever head that way I'll take you up on that offer. Appreciate it :beer:

But I'm talking about second generation, not those that were born in another country that came over. It's difficult for people as they get older to pick up and learn a new language, specially when they are living in a homogeneous community of primarily first generation folks, where there co workers, friends and family all speak the same language. It's their kids that are born here that integrate themselves with other English speaking kids at school that learn to speak English.

Make no mistake, these first generation folks that are not showing the desire to try to learn the language are only hurting their opportunities, but alot of these people are very simple folks. They had limited educations in their home countries and in all honesty, they just want to come here, work, drink some cerveza, send their kids to school and send a little money to their families/mothers back home.

If you've lived in one of these countries, as I have you see that there really aren't that many opportunities to get ahead. That's why a lot of people are desperate to move to the states, because they believe there are more opportunities. Think about it, look at the jobs they take, look at the pay they accept. It beats the alternative of staying in a little pueblo either making next to nothing or not working at all. This way they can at least help their families live a little bit better of a life while providing an American education (which isn't all that great, but beats small town latin american education) for their children.

Funny thing is, without Bush's gross overstepping in executive orders, the precedent for Obama's over-reaches wouldn't exist.

I know.

And it's not that funny. It'll be even less funny with the next administration.

Hell, it's less funny even now, since the Senate has decided their constitutional authority to approve international agreements is actually the authority to DISapprove, which the president can override with a veto. :wallbash:

Funny thing is, without Bush's gross overstepping in executive orders, the precedent for Obama's over-reaches wouldn't exist.

We've been doing this since Washington. Government never voluntarily relinquishes power. Every single administration has built upon the over-reach of the prior administration. It's the reason blind partisan support for "your guy" is so damaging: Democrats and libertarians warned Republicans that "whoever the next guy was would be empowered to act with, and build upon the executive powers of President Bush"; just as Republicans and libertarians are now doing the same in regards to President Obama's over-reaches.

I know.

And it's not that funny. It'll be even less funny with the next administration.

Hell, it's less funny even now, since the Senate has decided their constitutional authority to approve international agreements is actually the authority to DISapprove, which the president can override with a veto. :wallbash:

And again even less funny with the legal establishment of "lack of standing".

You're wrong. They do in California.

Here...have ya some 'free' health care.

As soon as you arrive, you get the goods. Even a driver's license.

How about some money for college?

Why, we're a signature away from letting them serve on juries.

And the USDA is literally promoting SNAP to Mexicans IN Mexico.

I know you're passionate about this, but the truth is simply there: we've opened the gates and are handing out freebies.

No demagoguery...just facts on the ground.

Its funny....with all the freebies - which don't amount to much - the floodgates are indeed open!!!!

Except - people are LEAVING - there are less Mexicans in the US now that when BO took office.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/07/24/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

Thanks for coming.....

Its funny....with all the freebies - which don't amount to much - the floodgates are indeed open!!!!

Except - people are LEAVING - there are less Mexicans in the US now that when BO took office.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/07/24/5-facts-about-illegal-immigration-in-the-u-s/

Thanks for coming.....

You see...this is why no one here takes you seriously outside of gatorman.

When you suggest that the freebies given to illegal aliens as provided by American taxpayers "don't amount to much," you are absolutely in full gatorman mode.

What do you say we have people check on their tax returns if they want their taxes to fund freebies for illegals. That way, YOU can pick up the tab since the cost means nothing to you and I can let you carry a burden I'm not obligated to carry.

And why would anyone wonder why Mexicans are leaving under Obama. Has any modern president done MORE to provide LESS opportunities to minorities than Obama? He has pissed all over the poor minorities in this country, and you don't need Google to track that fact.

How many first and second generation Irish, Italians, and Poles do you know? And of those, how many didn't teach their children to speak English and be thankful for growing up in America? And of those, how many came here illegally?

Growing up in Buffalo? Many.

How exactly would a 2nd generation person be in the US illegally? :unsure:

I generally tend to side with this viewpoint

I'm not a big fan of "punishing" a child because of the actions of their parents. Also, generally speaking, these people are looking to create better opportunities for their families. I'd be against a change, personally.

Though, I know I'll be in the minority here (and possibly nationwide).

I generally tend to side with this viewpoint

What is the purpose of Nationhood if not to protect the culture and best interests of those who live there?

I'll save you the trouble: there is none.

Your stance does direct harm to both of those purposes.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Growing up in Buffalo? Many.

How exactly would a 2nd generation person be in the US illegally? :unsure:

I grew up there too - born in '57, and never personally knew a single 1st generation immigrant from Europe aside from an older couple living down the road that was a German woman married to a Ukranian man who fled Europe pre- WWII. They both knew English, though. I had plenty of friends in school whose grandparents were from 'the old country', but I never really knew any of them.

And yes, I mistakenly lumped the 2nd generation with the 1st in my question.

Edited by Azalin

If I had my way. Seriously, I think Azalin was referring to legal immigrants and the question was actually making that point.

I grew up there too - born in '57, and never personally knew a single 1st generation immigrant from Europe aside from an older couple living down the road that was a German woman married to a Ukranian man who fled Europe pre- WWII. They both knew English, though. I had plenty of friends in school whose grandparents were from 'the old country', but I never really knew any of them.

And yes, I mistakenly lumped the 2nd generation with the 1st in my question.

And I was specifically referring to a post stating that the children of illegal aliens that have Mexican flags but are US citizens necessarily don't consider themselves Americans. While there absolutely are some that would like to see the original Texas, California, the Gadsden Purchase & the rest of the former Northern Mexico returned; it seemed to be painting w/ overly broad strokes.

And I was specifically referring to a post stating that the children of illegal aliens that have Mexican flags but are US citizens necessarily don't consider themselves Americans. While there absolutely are some that would like to see the original Texas, California, the Gadsden Purchase & the rest of the former Northern Mexico returned; it seemed to be painting w/ overly broad strokes.

I dunno. "Mexican Expansion" I've never heard about. I searched Google under "mexican expansion" and just hit the opposite of Mexican Expansion with the Mexican-American War in the mid 1800's. General/President Grant was ashamed of this war, as he wrote in his memoirs. It was just robbing territory, starting with the creation of the State of Texas. I guess that would make Grant a closet Mexican Expansionist but he did fight against the Mexicans in that war. Maybe there are Grant fans among the Mexicans. They would need to pay more attention to their cyber presence if they would like to be taken seriously, it seems to me, if they do, in fact, exist.

Well then, there appears to have been a misunderstanding, because that wasn't my post.