Patriots Fumble Rates since 2007 rule change

somnus00

Thats simply incredible analysis by that website. Idk who has the time to pull all that data but it was very nicely written. Undeniable that something has been going on with the Pats since 2007. I hope this gets all the way to ESPN, if that happens......man.... the pressure is gonna be ramped up 100x what is right now. people will be calling for belichick and brady to be suspended for the superbowl.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple this with the fact I believe the Patriots are still recording defensive coordinators, the speakers inside Bradys and the linebackers helmets never turn off per Doug Flutie, and somehow some way the opponents QB audibles miraculously show up in the defensive players lockers an hour before games per Ted Johnson leads me to believe the Belichick and Brady have been cheating for years. And they continue to get away with it. Godell is a sham to let this continue. God I hate a cheater!

Not sure how people could still be claiming this study is flawed. The wall street journal doesn't exactly post garbage. The study has been redone to include all fumbles both lost and not and the Patriots are still off the charts.

And why are people acting like the Patriots are the only team that benches players that fumble?

Not sure how people could still be claiming this study is flawed. The wall street journal doesn't exactly post garbage. The study has been redone to include all fumbles both lost and not and the Patriots are still off the charts.

And why are people acting like the Patriots are the only team that benches players that fumble?

My thoughts exactly.

I'm probably going to catch a ton of flack for this, but... I don't think the Patriots broke the rules per se. I'm sure the balls were 12.5psi in a 75F degree room when they were checked. Then outside the cold air and greater than 14psi atmosphere made the balls squishier. It's a brilliant move to give your team another advantage as shown in the analysis. Clearly in 2007 something changed. Why haven't we thought of this?

Why don't they just admit it and say they followed the rules, albeit literally and not the intent. It's genius, but the cover up is just dumb, pathetic, and unwarranted.

I'll take my lashings now.

So...playing with deflated footballs may be a longstanding practice in NE.

Thats simply incredible analysis by that website. Idk who has the time to pull all that data but it was very nicely written. Undeniable that something has been going on with the Pats since 2007. I hope this gets all the way to ESPN, if that happens......man.... the pressure is gonna be ramped up 100x what is right now. people will be calling for belichick and brady to be suspended for the superbowl.

The pressure is going to be ramped up? Nice pun! :)

I'm probably going to catch a ton of flack for this, but... I don't think the Patriots broke the rules per se. I'm sure the balls were 12.5psi in a 75F degree room when they were checked. Then outside the cold air and greater than 14psi atmosphere made the balls squishier. It's a brilliant move to give your team another advantage as shown in the analysis. Clearly in 2007 something changed. Why haven't we thought of this?

Why don't they just admit it and say they followed the rules, albeit literally and not the intent. It's genius, but the cover up is just dumb, pathetic, and unwarranted.

Here. Take these. It's the best I could do on such short notice.

japanese-square-lashing-mkII.png

Very interesting read.

I also look at it as another reason the Bills need a retractable roof. The weather long ago stopped being an advantage for Buffalo and this article suggests it hurts them more than it helps. At least with regard to this one statistic.

Not exactly since the Bills opponents would also be playing outside and you would see Bills oppnents with higher fumbles too

The indoor/outdoor thing doesn't hold water because the Colts' balls were apparently tested at half too and hadn't lost any psi.

It's amazing that people do not understand how must a deflated ball has on the game.

My boss was asking me about it yesterday. His son plays and is actually being scouted by Oregon, among other schools. Anyway, I told him just go ask your son what he'd rather have a wet ball or a dry ball. Then ask him about a new ball vs. an old ball. If you get a new ball that is wet and fully inflated you can barely hold that thing. Even with gloves.

But, I think the Patriots use metrics when getting their players that rely upon less fumbles.

TheBillsWillRiseAgain touched on this earlier this week. This article really does put things into perspective. I know there are plenty of Ballghazi threads. But I felt this was a bit different and deserved it's own.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/?p=2932

I attribute the Patriot's lack of fumbles to this piece, detailing Belichick's post-loss bathing habits.

What the piece fails to reveal is that if an offensive player fumbles, Belichick has Wilfork pick them up by the neck and drag them into his bathtub sanctum, shaking them like a puppy with their nose in the mess while Brady snarls at them "next time you f*#@ up and f*#@ing fumble, I rip your f*#@ing guts out and throw them into this f*#@ing tub, understand you f*#@ing punk?".

The incidence of repeat offenders is, for some reason, very low.

PS do I have to point out that the link is an Onion article and this is humor (attempted, TBDians, for the entertainment of)? Evidently, I do?

Edited by Hopeful

In a sense, I was undecided about this whole ball deflating issue before reading this analysis. I wasn't 100% sure that Belichick was behind the whole thing. Now I believe that he was.

I wasn't sure how much the deflated balls affected the outcome of games (likely not the AFC championship game though fumbles can be huge). Now I'm fairly certain that game outcomes have been influenced.

i used welker as he has a lot of touches and he actually has fewer fumbles per touch in Denver too. Small samples and doesn't prove anything but I think interesting if looking at the numbers in the ops link

Since you have brought up Welker. since he left the Patriots in free agency. He has had an issue with the dropsies in games the past few years...not sure if that's concussion related or what.

Belicheat has referenced that his ball control efficiency could be related to emphasis on ball security or that they practice regularly with a doctored ball in some capacity...be it wet, slick and/or over pressured in practice. Either way, its hard to believe that they do not pay particular attention to this detail on game day. I call BS!

First time its an accident. Second time a coincidence . Third time, its a trend or pattern !!!

In a sense, I was undecided about this whole ball deflating issue before reading this analysis. I wasn't 100% sure that Belichick was behind the whole thing. Now I believe that he was.

I wasn't sure how much the deflated balls affected the outcome of games (likely not the AFC championship game though fumbles can be huge). Now I'm fairly certain that game outcomes have been influenced.

I agree. Belichick's comment about using "wet, sticky, cold, slippery" balls in practice confused me as it didn't quite fit into the context of the topic being addressed. Now I believe it was his slick way of preempting this statistical improbability that would eventually come to light.

Chris "Mad Dog" Russo said on his Sirius show that Belichick's son was the equipment manager. I can't verify that, but his son is listed as a coaching assistant on their website and no equipment manager is listed.

Voodoo, various calculations have shown the temperature difference couldn't explain the reported 2 psi pressure differential.

It was 51 degrees at game time. To achieve 10.5 psi, the balls would have had to be inflated and checked in something like a 90 or 95 degree room.

Here's a good explanation.